Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you send a thank you email after an interview??

(16 Posts)
AuntBeru Sat 07-Jun-14 21:42:55

Just that really... Wondering if it's a good idea to send an email to keep yourself fresh in the potential employer's mind? Or does it seem pushy ?

littlegreengloworm Sat 07-Jun-14 21:43:24

I wouldn't to be honest.

Squidstirfry Sat 07-Jun-14 21:45:06

No.

TallyGrenshall Sat 07-Jun-14 21:46:39

No.

Would seem desperate to me, not pushy

Weirdly I posted a similar thread a week or two ago and was told yes!

I did, FWIW. I didn't get the job though highly unlikely it was related.

Well, we've just interviewed and am actually very impressed with one of the candidates (who also interviewed v well) who sent an email the following day thanking us for our time, stating that she had enjoyed meeting us and that she was looking forward to hearing from us.

It made her stand out and she's being offered the job.
Just sayin'.

Good luck.

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Sat 07-Jun-14 21:58:12

I do but it has never got me the job... I think I go for jobs with an internal candidate anyway but I don't see how it can hurt to be polite?

JewelFairies Sat 07-Jun-14 21:59:02

Not normally but I did once about two weeks after the interview when I hadn't heard anything. Turns out they forgot to tell me I had the post... So just as well I did get in touch to say I enjoyed the interview and what a shame I clearly wasn't successful because I hadn't heard.

AuntBeru Sat 07-Jun-14 22:11:00

Thanks for the replies. I have it written, I'm trying to decide whether or not to send it. I was really impressed and would love the role. I think I'll go for it

Permanentlyexhausted Sat 07-Jun-14 22:11:21

It is always nice to receive a thank you email. It rarely makes a difference though since we usually make a decision immediately after the last interview and therefore haven't read our emails. Won't hurt though. Keep it simple though - "I would like to thank you for taking the time to interview me today. It was a pleasure to meet you and I appreciated the opportunity to discuss the role in more depth." I would resist the urge to 'sell yourself' further. "Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like any further information" or the like might start to slip into the realms of pushy/overkeen.

HildaOgden Sat 07-Jun-14 22:17:39

As an employer,I'd appreciate it and it would definitely let me know you were keen to get the job.

It would push you higher up my list of candidates,if that helps.Good Luck smile

DearGirl Sat 07-Jun-14 22:20:11

I did in my last interview and I'm 4 weeks into a new job.

KitbitAgain Sat 07-Jun-14 22:23:25

I always do. It has been commented on as a Good Thing.
Have also appreciated it when someone has done it for me too. Just a lighthearted thankyou, good to meet, appreciated the interview etc. as a pp said, no further sells jyst some courtesy.

Loletta Sat 07-Jun-14 22:24:57

I think it doesn't change a thing. If you impressed them and they were going to offer you the job anyway, they'll think it's great that you thanked them for their time and still offer you the job. If they weren't going to offer it , they'll think you're quite desperate and ignore it
I wouldn't bother tbh.

Oh, I agree, it does not change a decision.
It does not harm either IMO.
But yy, no further 'selling', hard or otherwise.

AuntBeru Sat 07-Jun-14 22:26:24

Ok, I'll send it tomorrow, with a few tweaks ;)
Thanks for the well wishes! It'd be great for the whole family if it worked out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now