Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Previous home owners post

(19 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Jun-14 20:16:52

Moved into new house about 2 months ago, previous owners clearly had mail re-direction on at first but that seems to have stopped. Now I am getting 2-3 pieces of post a day for them! It's really irritating me (totally disproportionate reaction I know!).

What am I supposed to do with it? I've been writing "no longer at this address, return to sender" and popping it back in the post but how long am I supposed to do that for? Feel like just binning it but guess you shouldn't really.

MagpieMama Sat 07-Jun-14 20:19:13

Would the neighbours have contact details so you could ask them what they want to do about their post?
Not your responsibility I know but it might get you an answer.

fixyourgardengate Sat 07-Jun-14 20:24:26

It'll ease off eventually. Unfortunately you are reliant on the post getting back to the sender and then them actually doing something with their records...

fixyourgardengate Sat 07-Jun-14 20:25:11

If you actually have the new address you can just write that on the envelope and pop it back in the post.

gallicgirl Sat 07-Jun-14 20:25:54

Return to sender is best bet and it should eventually stop.
If you bin it, the sender will presume the addressee is still there and wants the mail.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 07-Jun-14 20:27:27

Don't have the new address, yes could ask neighbours, good idea.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 07-Jun-14 20:29:31

Do you know your postie? Ours is great. He's started intercepting the mail for us after we discussed it and I guess redirecting. Its been over a year and the debt collection letters for previous occupants are mounting.

silveroldie2 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:40:36

I'm still receiving occasional post for the previous occupant after 10 years. I used to save it and she did collect a pile once after about six months. Since then nothing, so it goes in the bin.

We got a parcel, with no return address, for the previous occupants. We've been here for 17 years!

mrsleomcgary Sat 07-Jun-14 20:53:17

Six months after moving into my flat I was still taking previous owners mail up to her solicitors, and I only knew to take it there because that's where we collected the keys and it was round the corner. Last time I took it in I told them to tell her anything else was going in the bin. From the amount I was taking she clearly hadnt redirected anything.

About 6 months ago I was opening a pile of mail and found a rebate cheque from hmrc for her for £500! I know I should have sent it back but I threw it in the bin,not my fault she hasn't updated her details 7 years later!

JellyBelly10 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:57:48

Go into the estate agent you bought the house from and give them all the post and ask them if they can send it on to the vendor. They'll soon get fed up doing that (I know, I work in an estate agent!) and will hopefully badger her into getting it sorted out. I've lived in my house 9 years and still get mail for the previous people. It goes straight in the recycling!

EasterSundaySimmons Sat 07-Jun-14 20:59:22

If they have an uncommon name, look them up on facevook in case they're on three. Then send them a private message.

Barbeasty Sat 07-Jun-14 20:59:24

We sent it back in batches. Gradually the envelope messages got less tolerant.

At the point where I told a English heritage that next year I'd assume the membership card was mine to use they stopped sending one. After 6 years!

hollycomputer Sat 07-Jun-14 21:00:27

Throw it in the bin. If it was important they would have changed the address with the sender.

I've been in my house six years and we still get mail for the cunts who owned it before. It all goes in the bin.

I've just opened the parcel as there was no return address, it was a model plane and a receipt for £47!

I guess I should send it back to the shop, it's not their fault - or is it? confused

mousmous Sun 08-Jun-14 11:33:38

return to sender is good.
post stopped nearly completely after about a year, but it was a house share before with many many tennants.

SarahAndFuck Sun 08-Jun-14 11:35:37

We get a Christmas card every year 'from Aunty Olga', who still thinks her niece and partner still live here. They moved out over four years ago now.

There's never a return address so we can't send it back, so we have claimed Aunty Olga as our own and display her card with pride smile

If anyone one here has an Aunty Olga and several cats and some ferrets it's probably for you.

SarahAndFuck Sun 08-Jun-14 11:36:26

Also, I think you can register on the Royal Mail website to stop named post which isn't for you.

PuddingandPie1 Sun 08-Jun-14 11:50:21

This is one of my pet hates - we still get mail for the previous owner which I bin or my wife redirects depending on who gets there first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now