Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

when i graduate as a mental health nurse I need an immediate job, if nothing permanent comes up, what can I do?

(33 Posts)
Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 20:09:10

any ideas?

Agency working? though do they take on complete newbies?

shouldnthavesaid Sat 07-Jun-14 20:13:55

Yes to agency work but also healthcare support work, working in a special school, care home, rehabilitation centre, prison, mental health charities and support groups, residential schools - there's all sorts that you can do. You might not find that you can immediately work in a hospital environment unfortunately however you'll find your skills will be transferable and useful to all sorts of employers, and not necessarily always in the field you except. I mean if you have good people skills you might even be good for a human resources team, or maybe youth work, family support work, all sorts.

Don't discount the idea of getting a full time job based solely on vacancies in hospitals, that's what I mean to say, look further afield and keep an open mind smile It's all experience and knowledge gained, after all..

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 20:15:22

thats true.

I am bricking myself about not getting a job sad

I have been a stay at home mum for years, then done this degree, so not sure how much 'experience' I have tbh other than life's grin

iliketea Sat 07-Jun-14 20:22:26

How far away are you from finishing your studies? I've known student nurses to be offered jobs with 4 or 5 months of training still left (it can take that long for crb and occ health / other hr stuff), so make sure you apply early. Otherwise, nursing homes with dementia units may be worth a try for jobs, even if you have to work as an hca until your Pin arrives.

magpiegin Sat 07-Jun-14 20:24:30

Nursing homes? Bupa always seem to be advertising on their website. I would apply for any NHS nurse jobs going though.

Mrsmorton Sat 07-Jun-14 20:25:19

I'm not a nurse but it seems to me that locum work is easy to come by. There are always places advertising for locum staff. Can you do this? I'm not sure how it all works for you as we (dentists) have to work for a year on an approved scheme before locum work or private practice etc.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be amazing.

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 20:25:26

I don't finish till this time next year but am panicking already. I know I know..... pathetic but when the bursary is away I need to hit the road running....

iliketea Sat 07-Jun-14 20:30:01

I would start looking in September and apply for anything you think you would meet the criteria. Also start sounding out your placement areas to see if they have jobs going from then (more likely to offer a job and wait for the right person to qualify in a few months if you've impressed them). Also don't rule out wherever you have your fitness to practice final placement - they may have jobs going to and as a final placement student, they can start informally training you for a job if you apply and are offered it.

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 20:38:06

The good news is I always get top marks on placement and in uni, so am hoping one of the placements is impressed and remembers me.....

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 20:39:20

thats a good idea re the final placement too.

why do I feel so scared about being a graduate nurse blush

BerryNaughtyBoy Sat 07-Jun-14 20:41:51

I'm worried about this too, I'm (if all goes to plan) graduating next year. I'm going to apply for everything.

guitarosauras Sat 07-Jun-14 20:42:49

I'm in the same year as you, doing the same course <waves>

It is scary thinking that we'll be going out into the big wide world in a year as graduates!

BerryNaughtyBoy Sat 07-Jun-14 20:44:44

I can't imagine not being able to say 'I'm not sure, I'll just ask my mentor' when asked a difficult question

Tiredemma Sat 07-Jun-14 20:46:57

I wouldn't worry. All you really need is a pulse and a PIN number, you should get a job no worries.

RubberBulletKisses Sat 07-Jun-14 20:55:29

The mental health graduates in my cohort found it easier to get jobs than the adult nurses, if I recall correctly...that was a few years ago though. Definitely try and make a few contacts in your last year. I applied in March for a job starting in September and was successful, it's not uncommon. Good luck smile

Katkins1 Sat 07-Jun-14 20:57:55

Ive just graduated,not in health though.I'm freelancing and looking for or work.in my experience,you might not want to rush into ft work straightaway.

MrsMeow Sat 07-Jun-14 20:59:19

Join the nurse bank, second year is ideal time to do this as you've got a bit of experience from placements etc. and it really helps to get your face known on the wards especially.

I'm just about to qualify as a mh nurse (eek!) and have been keeping an eye on the jobs situation for the past year. Joined the nurse bank last summer and it was the best thing I could have done as I LOVED my last ward placement and continued doing bank shifts on there after placement had finished to earn ££. You can join the bank as a general and mh hcsw so theres always work to tide you over.

LIZS Sat 07-Jun-14 21:03:41

You could contact charities like MIND and Age UK and perhaps volunteer with support, to raise local awareness or fundraising with a view to adding that experience to your cv or it may in itself lead to paid work.

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 21:07:56

Thanks guys.

I LOL at pin and a pulse will suffice - I pray so grin

Timeisawastin Sat 07-Jun-14 21:51:59

I qualified as a MH nurse many years ago and started work about 3 weeks after qualifying. I do remember doing a bank shift in a nursing home very soon afterwards and I really wish I hadn't. I was the only trained nurse in the building and I really didn't have the confidence or the experience to cope with it. Luckily nothing major happened and I muddled through, but it is best to wait a year or so before you go the agency/locum route.

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 23:06:43

I did wonder that about agency work....

FattyMcSaggyChops Sat 07-Jun-14 23:18:55

DH qualified 4 years ago and there were no NHS jobs but things have got increasingly better. He is in the NHS now in a permanent post as they have finally started offering them again.

The first 3 years were difficult due to temporary positions but he was never out of work. He is also on the nursing guild and applied to NHS bank in his second year.

If you can get on these there are almost always shifts going but difficult not knowing where you'll be working.

But fingers crossed there will be plenty of posts when you qualify. The graduates here last year all were offered 6 month placements and almost all had them made permanently.

Loveneverfails Sat 07-Jun-14 23:31:23

thanks fatty that is useful.

I have never heard of the nursing guild - a private agency i presume?

FattyMcSaggyChops Sun 08-Jun-14 09:37:14

Yes it's private but it's mainly NHS places that he is sent to work. We're in Scotland so I'm not sure if Nursing Guild is Scottish but there are similar agencies.

Some of the shifts are observations so he could be sitting for 12 hours watching someone sleep, can be boring and not in the field he's interested in but money is good.

tb Sun 08-Jun-14 09:45:09

I only know 2 people who did RMN - as it was.

The first was a sister tutor at a secure hospital, then trained to be a vicar.

The other started the training as a vicar, didn't finish, started RMN didn't finish, and went back to training for a vicar. And was a complete bastard - think Alan Rickman in Barchester Chronicles as Obadiah Slope. He looked a bit like him too thinking about it......

Probably not something to consider, although you sound nothing like the second example I've quoted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now