Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Eeek...I'm having second thoughts!

(13 Posts)
PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:29:26

I recently got signed to a dance troupe (rave/club dancing) and I've been booked for two festivals next month. I'm insanely excited about it, but also terrified. I received my outfit for one of the bookings and it is basically a skin-tight leotard. It does fit me but I'm really conscious of myself in it. I'm a size 14/16 (5'10" though so I am actually a healthy weight). I think I've got an OK figure but I've had a child, I have stretch marks and wobbly bits.

I'll be dancing on stage in front of thousands of people...I'm quite literally shitting myself. Especially seeing as the other girls are all a lot thinner (size 10 etc) and I'm just worried I'm going to feel like a massive heifer next to them.

Give me some confidence building tips people, I need a bit of hand-holding blush

PlantsAndFlowers Sat 07-Jun-14 11:36:47

If all the others are a size 10 I am surprised they would sign you up if you are a 16. How many of you are there in this troupe?

PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:40:25

There are other girls my size in the company, just not at this event. There are 6 of us. I do poi so I'm there to do that.

PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:41:35

The leotard is a 12/14 so maybe I'm not as big as I think I am (I take a 14/16 in jeans). I have a few body issues.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 07-Jun-14 11:43:27

You're tall, so you aren't going to look out of proportion. And people at a festival are going to be concentrating on having a good time, they probably won't even notice the difference in body shapes. And what if they do? Variation is a good thing. Plus, you don't know them, you'll never see them again and any negative opinions are irrelevant to you. Concentrate on your dancing and having a good time.

sunbathe Sat 07-Jun-14 11:45:02

I had to look up poi.

Surely people will be looking at what you're doing, more than you, iyswim?

PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:46:23

I know you're right...I've always had confidence and self esteem problems. I love to dance but would never have had the balls to audition this time last year. I lost my Mum a few months ago and it has given me a more "seize the day" attitude!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 07-Jun-14 11:48:35

Well, no one should see your stretch marks in the leotard. So that's something

This would be my idea of complete hell and I wouldn't do it for a million pounds. So I'm probably not the best person ti be giving advice. But I suppose you'll just have to work out whether the buzz (and I use that word lightly) of dancing will overcome any negative feelings that you might have re the leotard

And. I know the received mumsnet mantra is that everyone should be absolutely polite and accepting of everyone else. Never make a negative comment etc

That would be a very nice way to live. However, back in the real world, that ethos doesn't have much credence with certain sectors of society - some of who may very well be attending these festivals.

As a matter if fact, you are bigger than the other dancers and some people may rudely point that out. So just work through that in your head to, before committing

MuttonCadet Sat 07-Jun-14 11:51:57

I had to look it up as well, no-one will care about your size (and if you've got. 12-14 leotard you won't look that much bigger.

Enjoy it, I'd love to be talented enough to do something like that.

PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 11:56:27

The buzz should definitely help...I was really nervous before my audition but once I got into the music (it's music I totally love) then the nerves vanished...I'm hoping the same will happen.

That was however at a small club, not a festival. It's a great opportunity and I know I'll be so proud of myself if I do it.

RhondaJean Sat 07-Jun-14 12:21:55

Bloody hell just looked up poi dancing, amazing, no one will even notice "you" with that going on!

You will look fab anyway grin

Abra1d Sat 07-Jun-14 12:24:26

Do 5:2 between now and then. It really works.

PaintedLady2014 Sat 07-Jun-14 12:27:27

Hehe thanks Rhonda - it does look pretty cool.

I am on a weight loss thing anyway, plus a lot of exercise to up my stamina. I'll be dancing for 4 hours (I will have breaks obviously)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now