Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Milk from the milkman

(21 Posts)
MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 07:12:21

Just started having pints delivered in glass bottles, there is a lump on top. It is whole milk, is that normal?

Suttyshotty Sat 07-Jun-14 07:14:35

Yes, that's the cream on top.

Maybe it isn't homogenised so the the cream sits on top of the milk. Most milk you buy is homogenised and the fat gets distributed through the milk. Used to love pouring the creamy bit on my cereal!

MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 07:17:56

Oh good, it smelt fine so thought that was what it was. I gave some to DS in his beaker so there was little lumps in it, he doesn't seem bothered. grin

MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 07:21:15

Just checked the milk bottle, doesn't say anything about homogenised, just says pasteurized standardized milk. Thanks all.

beccajoh Sat 07-Jun-14 07:24:01

I remember getting that as kids and birds used to peck through the foil top to get the cream grin We have milkman milk too but it comes in the plastic containers you get at the supermarket.

www.milk.co.uk/page.aspx?intPageID=43 - tells you about what they do to milk

MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 08:13:54

I rinsed the old bottles out and left them outside my door, so he can have them back, am I right in thinking to do that?

that's what we used to do. Don't know if that's what you're still supposed to do

BikeRunSki Sat 07-Jun-14 08:18:10

That's right Mama.

I love my millman. Our milk comes from a farm 3 miles away and us pasteurized and bottled on site. We can see the cows being milked at 5 pm and it's on our doorstep at 11pm. They make delicious Brie too.

MegTheCat Sat 07-Jun-14 08:18:37

Shake the bottle before you pour the milk out unless you want the cream separate. I used to have the cream in my coffee. My mum used to make it into butter.

MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 09:51:28

He's due to deliver two more pints today he still has not been.

we ended up cancelling our milk as it was more inconvenient than being able to buy it ourselves and we could never get hold of them to cancel it for holidays, etc

KnittyFoxyMa Sat 07-Jun-14 10:02:58

I have used an ace doorstep delivery milkman since I moved to this house, about 15 years ago, and my mum always had one. We never had the cream on top til I switched to organic milk. We only get cream on the whole milk and my kids love it as a treat on their cereal or on a spoon!
Our milkman does deliver at weird times some days, he doesn't come til 11 on a Saturday because he is collecting money which slows him down.

MostlyMama Sat 07-Jun-14 10:03:03

Im getting it through milkand more, it just arrived 5 mins ago, I figure I must be the end of the route or something

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 07-Jun-14 10:06:50

Yes - the Duchy of Cornwall milk is like that too. Lovely.

I stopped buying milk from the milkman as the cost of the organic stuff is just astronomical. Felt a bit bad as I would like to support them but it was nearly double the price if the Duchy stuff and it's not cheap

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 07-Jun-14 10:15:59

Just popped on to milkandmore to double check the prices again. I can get a litre of duchy original milk for 85p but a litre on milkandmore would cost £1.55

So, would just order with my ocado shop and get free delivery.

I do find it amazing that milkmen/people are still on the go. It's good - as competition is good and obviously they are supplying a service but the premium charged just seems unjustifiable

MirandaWest Sat 07-Jun-14 10:20:02

I don't get my milk delivered but I see the milkman coming round to neighbours at about 11 or so sometimes. You'd have to not work to rely on it I think.

wynk Sat 07-Jun-14 10:38:58

Our milkman delivers in the evening, we have 6 pints a week for 3pounds, seems reasonable to me, we always used to run out before I found a milkman. I like to support small business, but do wish he used glass bottles rather than cartons. They swapped to plastic cartons about a year ago, and sent us a note explaining it was to keep costs down. We also have a window cleaner, I love it. Growing up we had loads of stuff delivered, pop, eggs, insurance a veritable picadilli circus, our house!

LadyEnglefield Sat 07-Jun-14 11:27:28

We have a fantastic milkman.

Knocks every few weeks for his money & we have a chat a bout this & that. He's a young bloke, goes off on exotic holidays (Vietnam, Korea etc), tells me about his love life.

He also knows about the people on his round. He was recently very concerned about an old lady in our street who has been diagnosed with early dementia. She wasn't taking in her milk & there was no reply when he knocked (turned out she was in hospital) so he was asking people to keep an eye out for her.

I don't mind paying more for my milk to support people like him.

Clutterbugsmum Sat 07-Jun-14 11:32:18

I never see my milkman. He comes at 2.30am ish and I pay by direct transferred.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now