Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

So DH and I are sitting in silence...

(71 Posts)
OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 21:59:29

...on the edge of the sofa, waiting for a crow to come down from the loft. Yup, that's our Friday night.

It is nesting next door I think. Every time I went upstairs today I thought "My, they're noisy today." Then the truth dawned on me while I was putting the DC to bed that the little springing claw noises were coming from right... above... my... head...

No idea how it got in and even less of an idea of how to get it out. DH tried to climb up the ladder and it went nuclear. There was lots of flapping and for one heart stopping moment I thought DH was going to fall off the ladder and down into the stairwell below.

We have now left the loft hatch open, upstairs dark, closed all doors (including DCs') and are waiting downstairs patiently. DH popped his head up earlier to check to see if it was still there and it was perched on a cupboard, staring at him, not blinking. He says he feels as though he has been marked. He keeps imagining it sitting silently upstairs. Not blinking.

Crows have big beaks. What do we do? Should we sit here all night and wait patiently? Any tips on enticing crows out of lofts?

guineapig1 Fri 06-Jun-14 22:02:07

Can you get close to it and gently throw an old towel over it then grab it and release it outside?

EasterSundaySimmons Fri 06-Jun-14 22:04:08

You need SarahSTratton!

Poor thing. He won't hurt you. He will crap on your things though!

You could try and capture him with towel and releasing him.

I would leave a trail of food on the landing leading to an open window. Tomorrow block the hole where he for in.

Hope he will be ok.

Hassled Fri 06-Jun-14 22:05:00

Crows are amazingly clever. You should set it a challenge while you wait - some problem-solving thing. Like this.

NormHonal Fri 06-Jun-14 22:06:23

<sounds StrattersKlaxon>

Add "crow" to the thread title and she'll answer your call disclaimer: maybe.

caroldecker Fri 06-Jun-14 22:08:58

read this while you are waiting

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:20:56

Caroldecker, we are already slightly freaked out!

I think you're absolutely right about them being clever. It has adapted like Borg. When we first opened the hatch it was terrified, when I first waved a broom around up there it jumped and now it is perched on the cupboard watching us trying various things to get it to fly.

It is just watching and not blinking.

This is why the towel thing will alas not work. The ladder is super precarious, the loft is boarded out, the crow is fairly near the loft hatch, so unless there was some way we could shimmy up there, put some distance between us and the crow and get higher than it, we will always be slightly below it and precariously balanced.

DH just went to the kitchen and did a little run past the hallway. He is having visions of coming face to face with it sitting on the stairs. Not blinking.

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:22:18

I mean the loft is not boarded out!

LEMmingaround Fri 06-Jun-14 22:28:02

Move house - pack your things and leave tonight. I really can't see any other alternative, sorry.

I think I would genuinely have to do this if this happened in my house. I would be able to catch it outside and take to vets but in my house??? Id die of fright. I suffer from anxiety and consider crows a bad omen.

Im not helping am I??

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:31:49

Lemming, DC1 just woke up from a bad nightmare. Very rare, particularly this early on in the night. Do I need to go dig out my rosary?

QOD Fri 06-Jun-14 22:32:52

Urgle ... Terrified of birds

hmc Fri 06-Jun-14 22:35:10

It's probably counter to all the birds natural instincts to come out when it's dark. Close the loft access and try again in the daylight tomorrow morning

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:35:44

We're not going to bed tonight, are we.

DH just said "Crows are one of the smartest birds. It's not coming down honey."

Now he's gone silent again.

We're not going to bed tonight, are we.

EasterSundaySimmons Fri 06-Jun-14 22:37:37

It will follow a trail of food which leads to an open window.

Unless it's raining, then it might want to stay indoors for a bit!

hmc Fri 06-Jun-14 22:39:01

Birds roost at night - including crows!

EasterSundaySimmons Fri 06-Jun-14 22:39:46

Why can't you go to bed? The worst it will do is crap!

Poor thing. If you don't want to leave the loft hatch open and a window open, close the loft hatch for tonight and it may leave by the way it came in. Then in daylight tomorrow you can see if it's still there.

Much easier in daylight to catch it or lure it out.

ZuzuandZara Fri 06-Jun-14 22:40:07

It will go towards daylight, you may have better luck in the morning!

PandaFeet Fri 06-Jun-14 22:40:14

Maybe its sleeping, hence the not blinking thing. Can't you just close the loft hatch and wait til morning?

mineofuselessinformation Fri 06-Jun-14 22:40:24

Shut it in for the night - it's not going to go anywhere anyway. Tomorrow, leave all upstairs doors shut, and all curtains closed except for the nearest window. It will fly towards the light to get out.

LEMmingaround Fri 06-Jun-14 22:40:54

No. There will be no sleep tonight. sad and yes rosary. Crucifix and holy water sprinkled outside your bedroom doors in case the bastard thing gets curious during the night.

realitygone Fri 06-Jun-14 22:41:33

Can you trap it back in the loft?

It's more likely to come out in the morning as most birds seem to quite like early rising...

hence my saying 'I've been awake since the crack of sparrow shit'

realitygone Fri 06-Jun-14 22:42:41

Wasn't the film birds about crows?

<unhelpful>

Linskibinski Fri 06-Jun-14 22:43:03

Nope. You're done, time to move and watch out for any unexpected organ music. If you hear it RUN and don't look back! grin

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:43:18

Ah my next post was just to ask whether they sleep.

Ok, we will close the loft hatch and try again in the morning. I'm just worried that it will die if it's trapped all night. I'm pretty sure it has been trapped in there for most of the day. I had been planning to give it some sugar water but can't see how we'd get it up there without all hell breaking loose again.

Our cold water tank is up there so it won't be wanting for a drink.

<boak>

OooohHorlicks Fri 06-Jun-14 22:46:52

Linskibinski grin

And yup, bike

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now