Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Today MN failed me...

(80 Posts)
thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:22:05

I've been driving a hire car round in the UK for the last three days. I absolutely hate filling up with petrol (the smell makes me feel sick) and for the last few years I've lived in a country where someone does it for you <bliss>.

Today I had to concede that I was close to running out of petrol and pulled into a garage. I realised I hadn't checked which side the petrol cap was on but no matter! For I am a MNer and I know that the little picture of the petrol pump in the car indicates which side of the car it's on. I joined the appropriate queue and waited my turn. Imagine my surprise when I got out of the car and couldn't find the cap. It wasn't there sad

I had to do a reverse of shame and move to the other queue feeling very much less smug. MN you have failed me <wails>

feesh Fri 06-Jun-14 20:25:11

You know that pumps in Britain are designed to stretch around to both sides of the car, right? wink

You have my sympathy, I too live in a country where there are petrol pump attendants and I HATE having to do it myself in the UK! Not to mention the cost of it....

ThursdayLast Fri 06-Jun-14 20:28:06

I have no worries filling up myself (apart from the cost obv) but that little icon thing is bullshit!
I forgot about that until this thread, you reminded me!
YANBU (I'm aware this is a different topic)

Bowlersarm Fri 06-Jun-14 20:28:44

What are you saying? That the petrol pump thing is a load of old tosh?

ShirazSavedMySanity Fri 06-Jun-14 20:29:54

Did you not realise the pump will stretch to the other side of the car.

Join which ever queue you want

mawbroon Fri 06-Jun-14 20:30:08

Yes, the petrol pump thing is a load of tosh.

But somehow, the myth gets perpetuated....

SummerRain Fri 06-Jun-14 20:30:43

Really?! I totally impressed the lads at work by pointing out the arrow when we were in a hire car last week and the driver was flustering about which side side he should go to... It was right in that case!

TheFairyCaravan Fri 06-Jun-14 20:31:07

We've got them on our cars! <smug>

I always believed it until 2 weeks ago, when like you I went to get petrol in a courtesy car and the cap was on the wrong side! It's the first car that I've ever driven where that was the case though (it's a Picanto, my own cars have been European or Fords, maybe that's why?)

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 06-Jun-14 20:31:44

i have never seen a car where the little arrow on the pump pic is wrong - you sure you were looking at it right...?

KenDoddsDadsDog Fri 06-Jun-14 20:31:48

It's rubbish, on the wrong side in both mine and DH car.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 06-Jun-14 20:33:13

oooh really Flip? I shall carry on checking...!

thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:33:21

I tried stretching it having read that on here too! No it doesn't. Admittedly it was an old garage with probably old pumps but I feel very let down <insert DM sadface photo here>

CuthbertDibble Fri 06-Jun-14 20:33:53

You should have filled up where I live. We have two petrol stations in the village and both insist on filling for you, 'tis lovely.

<totally misses point of thread>

Jbck Fri 06-Jun-14 20:34:34

However the pumps don't stretch like they used to, they're more of a fixed hose nowadays. I have to ark my car really close if its on the wrong side and I don't have an enormous car.

thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:34:44

It's a very small and very expensive Peugeot.

HamAndPlaques Fri 06-Jun-14 20:35:25

does it depend on the make of car? It's right in our VW.

thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:36:23

Cuthbert if I'd know I probably would have driven all the way there just to avoid filling up! When we eventually move back to the UK it will be the thing I miss most grin

CSIJanner Fri 06-Jun-14 20:37:21

I thought that it was the side the petrol gauge was, not the petrol picture icon.

thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:37:31

Now I'm wondering what other tenets of the MN Gospel are wrong.

Bowlersarm Fri 06-Jun-14 20:38:33

Ooh that's a point OP. What else do we take as sacred because MN says so?

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 06-Jun-14 20:39:26

look at the picture of the petrol pump on the dash and there will be a teeny arrow pointing left or right - that shows you which side it's on

thanksamillion Fri 06-Jun-14 20:42:06

I'm going out for a bit. I'll check Shake and will get back to you.

CharlotteCollins Fri 06-Jun-14 20:42:48

Did it have an arrow, Millie?

<worries about MN fallibility>

ShakeYourTailFeathers Fri 06-Jun-14 20:44:44

rats - just tried to add a pic <fail>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now