Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Is there a website that would tell me if my grandad was at DDay?

(25 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 20:17:14

I know my grandad was in a Scottish regiment, and was involved in the liberation of France. He saw some awful sights in Germany, never able to speak about entering Bergen Belsen as a liberator, until a short time before he died (20y ago).

Is there a way of finding out if he was there on DDay?

Thanks!

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 20:18:58

By the way, the Radio 2 concert from the Royal Albert Hall is televised on the red button now. It's fantastic.

ssd Fri 06-Jun-14 20:22:57

thats a coincidence, dh's dad was part of the regiment that liberated Belsen, he used to get really upset talking about it, we are Scottish..he also landed on the beaches.

maybe they knew each other!

Makinglists Fri 06-Jun-14 20:25:39

I think if you know the regiment you could look at what info the archives hold. British army records are held at kew (national archives)and this may be a line to look into. DH did some research into his grandfather a few years back who was DDay+2 and I know these were sources he looked into.

AuntieStella Fri 06-Jun-14 20:26:30

Most regiments have some sort of veterans association or benevolent organisation. As some have changed names on amalgamatiins, it can be a bit difficult to unpick which you need.

But they are a good staring point to find out if they were there (as a formation - if someone was individually posted away from apparent unit it gets much harder to track) and when. They also should know where any records are now held.

mrssmith79 Fri 06-Jun-14 20:27:26

Maybe the Royal British Legion could point you in the right direction?

FrankelandFilly Fri 06-Jun-14 20:29:30

The next of kin can apply for service records. This site has all the info you need. My mum applied for her dad's records, they were fascinating. I was very amused to read he had been fined a day's wages for being caught smoking whilst on sentry duty grin

FrankelandFilly Fri 06-Jun-14 20:30:56

Just

FrankelandFilly Fri 06-Jun-14 20:32:24

Just to add the records can take a while to come through, I think my mum had to wait about 6 weeks for her dad's records to arrive.

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 20:38:03

Thanks. I'll need to ask mum re regiment etc, though she didn't know today if he'd been at DDay. (Hard to imagine she was a baby.)

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 20:39:52

(Ssd, Edinburgh area?)

ssd Fri 06-Jun-14 20:41:41

no, Glasgow

ssd Fri 06-Jun-14 20:43:15

I've got my dads records of being in the navy, but they're very hard to decipher.

Waswondering Fri 06-Jun-14 20:46:48

My other grandad served in the navy from 1938. Thankful to the local branch of the Royal British Legion for condensing his service into a couple of interesting paragraphs.

FrankelandFilly Fri 06-Jun-14 21:00:06

I was told that you don't need absolutely all the details but obviously it will speed things up if you do have them.

AuntieStella Fri 06-Jun-14 21:05:32

"(Ssd, Edinburgh area)"

Could this be KOSB?

redexpat Fri 06-Jun-14 21:37:39

If you pm me his name and dob id be happy to search on ancestry for you. Might get you more info. I managed to buy my ggds record for 3 quid, not the full thing but list of ships he served on and dates.

On a slightly different note I really want to know what my grandmother did during the war. We think it was something to do with codebreaking, but not at Bletchley Park. She signed the Official Secrets Act and took what she did to her grave.

weegiemum Fri 06-Jun-14 21:40:52

One of my grandfathers was on th d-day beaches. We knew about it (he survived) but the rbl were very helpful.

Marking my place.

Waswondering Sat 07-Jun-14 20:52:00

Thanks for your responses, will check with mum re further details.

redexpat Fri 13-Jun-14 19:29:41

If you pm me his name and dob id be happy to search on ancestry for you. Might get you more info. I managed to buy my ggds record for 3 quid, not the full thing but list of ships he served on and dates.

FrankelandFilly Fri 13-Jun-14 20:53:28

I don't think you can access WWII records via Ancestry at the moment. The WWI records are available as all veterans are deceased but I think it will be another 10-20 years before they make all WWII service records available to the general public.

Fannydabbydozey Sat 14-Jun-14 07:11:56

I'd love to know about my granddad's war record too. I have very little info really, just that he was in the Royal Marines. No idea of which regiment (if that is even the right word). The only thing i do know is that he served in Italy and North Africa. He would never ever talk about it. Obviously I do know where he was born (another scot here) and he did have very unusual middle names. I also remember him talking about Vesuvius erupting - which I then told everyone at school because to me he clearly meant during the fall of Pompeii! I had a huge row with the teacher when she gently told me that wasn't possible... I was only six or seven and my granddad was my hero and the most honest man in the world so she was obviously wrong!

I joined a websit called forces war records but so far nada.

FrankelandFilly Sat 14-Jun-14 07:59:16

Fanny your grandad's "regiment" would have been his division, subdivided into a Commando (my BIL is an ex-marine). You won't find WWII records anywhere online as they are only currently available to the next of kin, not the general public.

You could try contacting the Royal Marines Museum to see if someone can help you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now