Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Is this a bit harsh? Do we just have to suck it up?

(11 Posts)
ferrywoes Fri 06-Jun-14 16:42:30

My 8 yr old is severely claustrophobic, can't go in lifts, aeroplanes, even toilet cubicles present quite a problem. She shakes, sweats, has palpitations etc, so its not just a case of forcing her to do these things. We have sought medical treatment, but we haven't got her cured.

Anyway, alongside the claustrophobia, she has a few other phobias, and one of them is of boarding a ferry inside a car. She is fine as a foot passenger, fine on board, its the car deck she is terrified of.

We've got a couple of journeys booked, and one ferry company has been perfectly willing to accommodate this, nothing was too much trouble, and they have said that either her dad or I can take her on board along with the foot passengers, whilst the other adult takes the car on board.

The other company have come back to us stating that they wish us to cancel our existing tickets and rebook, with two of us as foot passengers. Our original tickets are non refundable, so it will cost us maybe £200 to do it their way. I can't actually find anything in their terms and conditions that states that car passengers must enter through the car deck. The other ferry company don't mind, so it can't be a legal requirement.

It feels very harsh and jobsworth to me. Am I overreacting or does it seem harsh that they refuse to accommodate what is essentially a medical problem, albeit a mental health one?

wubwubwub Fri 06-Jun-14 16:44:03

Seems silly on the Ferry's part - speak to a manager.

ThursdayLast Fri 06-Jun-14 16:45:45

What wub said.

grocklebox Fri 06-Jun-14 16:46:21

Go up the chain, and be utterly polite at all times (I'm sure you will be, just saying don't be tempted to get cross), and if you explain fully I'm sure someone senior will organise it.
You can always do a sad face story for the Mail if not wink

ferrywoes Fri 06-Jun-14 16:49:45

one of these ? sad

I've written a super polite email frankly begging them to reconsider, so I'll see how it goes.

It's the last part of our homeward journey, so at least if we end up having to force her on in the car, it won't ruin our holiday. But it's taken us two years to get her on a ferry because last time was a melt down, so it would be nicer all round if they could just help us out with this one wee request.

wubwubwub Fri 06-Jun-14 16:51:26

No chance you could get your daughter to sleep -s o you can drive on whilst she's soundo?

See what happens with the email smile good luck

grocklebox Fri 06-Jun-14 16:53:20

If the reponse is not good, try and get an email of someone very very senior in the company, and tell them the response you have got. Point out that other companies have been able to accomodate you easily, they won't want to hear that they are failing to match their competitors, and they hate being bugged with this stuff and usually want the quickest easist way to make you go away...which is to do what you want.
Good luck.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Jun-14 16:57:07

It'll be one of those maddening "it's the rules" or "it's for safety" things that nobody can actually explain why, just that's it's "the rules". That's my bet.

Last week we were turned away from a French swimming pool because DP and DSS had swimming shorts, not Lycra Speedos. We were told it was "for hygiene" but nobody could explain to us what was unhygienic about swim shorts, especially as one pair was brand new!!

In fact, thinking about it, is the ferry company MyFerryLink?

I hope somebody sensible sees your email and sorts it for you. Have a lovely holiday

ajandjjmum Fri 06-Jun-14 16:57:12

Tweet on the ferry company's Twitter feed, asking if there is anyone who has the authority to help you?

Helpys Fri 06-Jun-14 16:57:38

Have you told her?
DD 15 hates lifts, so much so that she was quite hysterical about a school trip where they were staying on the 9th floor of a hotel. There was no way of walking up and she had to take the lift. It was awful and several times called me from her room in tears. She took the lift of course, hated it but survived and is much better now. Overcoming the phobia is the best way forward.

BitOutOfPractice Fri 06-Jun-14 16:58:02

Oh yes and name them here too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now