Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

who bought a new cot mattress for a 2nd baby?

(33 Posts)
Keenoonvino Fri 06-Jun-14 14:53:45

I'm 21 weeks pregnant with 2nd baby. My first will be 3 in a month. He has been sleeping in a cotbed since he was out of the moses basket and the cot was recently converted to a bed. When the new baby arrives I was planning to buy him a small toddler bed and then use the same cot he is now in for the new baby.

I've heard you have to buy a brand new mattress with each baby, but not sure exactly why. I know it's meant to reduce risk of SIDS, but can anyone explain why?

I don't want to risk anything, but how many people bought a brand new mattress for a 2nd or subsequent baby?

vinoandbrie Sat 07-Jun-14 15:15:28

I don't know the science behind it, but I bought a new mattress for the cot and for the Moses basket for DC2. I read it was recommended due to risk of SIDS, and that was enough for me x

RhondaJean Sat 07-Jun-14 15:12:04

I think it's something to do with the secretions that leak into the mattress and even if it's not visibly mouldy it can have growth inside it.

It's jsut something I wasn't willing to risk, personally, if it could possibly have been a factor then I wasn't prepared to take the chance.

Dd2 was a tiny preemie though, she was in her crib (bought new for her as we had more room than with dd1) for a few months so didn't need to get the mattress at the same time as the big outlay on other things for a new baby.

AuditAngel Sat 07-Jun-14 14:27:35

I bought a sprung mattress with waterproof cover for cotbed when DS was born. All 3DC used this. Unfortunately the cot bit got damaged when we moved, so we got a 2nd hand cot for DC3. As I knew (coincidentally) the family we bought it from (via Gumtree) and that was also sprung with a waterproof cover we didn't buy new for that either (however, I am relaxed about lots of things).

gamerchick Sat 07-Jun-14 13:54:49

Isn't it something to do with the mould that can grow in them releasing a toxin that's bad for babies or something?

MTWTFSS Sat 07-Jun-14 13:51:18

DS2: Had a new Moses basket for the first 3 months, then went into the same cot mattress as DS1.

Sleepthief Sat 07-Jun-14 13:48:56

BMJ research

The risk is less if used within the family, but I bought new mattress for DS2 and again for both DS3 and DS4. Just didn't seem worth not IYKWIM

Lanabelle Sat 07-Jun-14 13:38:52

nope, we washed it but it was fine, it was still sturdy and firm and complied with all the usual eu bollocks that no one understands etc, think if we have another I will need to though, don't think it will last another one

TobyLerone Sat 07-Jun-14 13:34:55

Both. Plus old bodily fluids from the previous baby.

Keenoonvino Sat 07-Jun-14 13:15:35

Hmmm...a mixture of people getting new ones and not...

But why do they say it can contribute to SIDS if you don't have a new one? Is it mainly to do with the way it's been stored and possibly having mould on it? Or is it the indent of a heavy body making the mattress lumpy??

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 06-Jun-14 19:06:01

DD will be going into a single bed when the baby is six months old (and dd will be 3.6). New baby will go straight into the cotbed (with sides on) and same mattress the day after dd moves out of it.

Ive gone for a crib and mattress for dc2 as the moses basket was put in the loft and has been there for two years so im not happy to use that again.

beccajoh Fri 06-Jun-14 19:02:00

Same mattress. 18 months between them.

HappyMedium Fri 06-Jun-14 18:53:50

my two used the same mattress, 2.8 years apart.

MrsPear Fri 06-Jun-14 16:48:45

I bought new pram and crib mattresses. Cot bed was too expensive for us but ds2 was 11 months actual, 9 months corrected, before he slept in it plus I washed the cover and gave it a good airing even though it had not been stored.

RoseberryTopping Fri 06-Jun-14 15:40:11

Expecting DC2 now and bought a new mattress even though the old one still has lots of support left. I didn't want to leave anything to chance. Everything else is 2nd hand but a mattress is v important IMO

bonzo77 Fri 06-Jun-14 15:37:23

Yes. New mattress. I'm a worrier. It was one less thing to worry about. And if the worst had happened, one less thing to blame myself for.

When DS2 arrived, we got DS1 a full size single and cheap mattress. Came to about £200 all in. He'll get a better mattress once bed wetting is well behind us he has a waterproof mattress protector but you know...). Didn't see the point in a toddler bed when we'd need a full
Size one eventually.

WeeClype Fri 06-Jun-14 15:29:15

My DC 4 is using the same mattress that my 1st DC used.....but all have my DC's spent more time in our bed than in the cot so it was barely used.

3dolls Fri 06-Jun-14 15:24:00

i used the same one for all 3 over a 10yr span. it was a sprung one with a zipoff washable top and under that was a wipeable surface. it was stored in a warm dry place and had no stains/mould/mildew so i had no qualms about reusing. however when we passed the cot on to sil we disposed of the mattress.

mejon Fri 06-Jun-14 15:20:44

No. There's 4.5yrs between my two but we had a decent sprung mattress that had always had a waterproof cover on it so I had no worries about using it again. I also had an iCandy Apple pram and reused the carrycot mattress - it had a washable cover and the inner foam had never got wet so I did not see a problem.

TobyLerone Fri 06-Jun-14 15:15:51

I've bought new crib and cot mattresses for each baby. It wouldn't have crossed my mind not to.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 06-Jun-14 15:15:21

#1 and 2 had the same mattress; we replaced it for #3+4, but there had been quite a bit of use by then!

hugoagogo Fri 06-Jun-14 15:12:36

Yes, but it was visibly mouldy <bleugh>

If it hadn't been we might not have done.

katandkits Fri 06-Jun-14 15:12:21

I would get a single bed. Toddler bed will be outgrown too quickly. I would replace the pram mattress if possible.

Keenoonvino Fri 06-Jun-14 15:07:47

Didn't think of the same mattress on toddler bed. That could be an option.... but now wondering whether to buy a toddler bed or a kid's single bed, as he's already 3 and worried he'll outgrow it too quickly...

The cot mattress has never been in storage, however our icandy pram bit has been....ie stored in our loft... perhaps it's more important I get a new base for that??

MargotLovedTom Fri 06-Jun-14 15:04:36

Nope. Ours was a very pricey mattress and got used for all three dc in succession.

Although tbf they were born close together so the second two didn't actually get to use it until they were at least one, so the risk of SIDS was reduced then anyway.

katandkits Fri 06-Jun-14 15:01:59

I personally think that if the mattress is not very old and has not been in storage it is fine to use again. Even more so if it has had a waterproof mattress protector on it the whole time. What I wouldn't do is use one that came from another family with a second hand cot. With a large age gap I would also buy new as the mattress would have been stored somewhere.

However a toddler bed is usually the same size as a cot bed. Put DSs cotbed mattress on the toddler bed and put the new toddler bed mattress inside the cot bed. Problem solved!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now