Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

They shouldn't have had to but well done to Costa Coffee for standing up to these idiots!

(76 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Fri 06-Jun-14 12:36:05

Apologies DM link www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2650556/Mother-tears-called-slut-two-customers-breastfeeding-son-Costa-coffee.html#comments
If you don't want to click- basically breastfeeding mum abused in costa called a 'slut' sad but the baristas stood up for her. Well done to Costa for supporting breastfeeding mums smile

StarGazeyPond Fri 06-Jun-14 13:06:37

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. SOME people don't like it.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 06-Jun-14 13:09:29

Well SOME people should learn to turn their heads and keep their filthy mouths shut. Disgusting treatment of a person feeding their child!

Iamnotachewtoy Fri 06-Jun-14 13:09:49

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. That is totally different from verbal abuse.

Good on Costa.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 06-Jun-14 13:10:40

Yes some people should keep their mouths shut calling someone a slut for breastfeeding is just downright wrong ffs

StarGazeyPond Fri 06-Jun-14 13:11:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

tethersend Fri 06-Jun-14 13:11:17

Don't be deliberately obtuse, StarGazey. Nobody is entitled to verbally abuse another person.

ChaircatMiaow Fri 06-Jun-14 13:11:54

I suspect SOME people have hands that are hairy.

Trooperslane Fri 06-Jun-14 13:12:03

Fucking hell stargazey.

SillyBilly I am 100% with you, again.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Fri 06-Jun-14 13:13:02

hmm

Who says she wasnt being discreet?

Tell me why you are so keento blame the abuse victim here rather than the abusers?

Meglet Fri 06-Jun-14 13:14:29

some people have issues that they shouldn't project on others.

Well done Costa.

onedogatoddlerandababy Fri 06-Jun-14 13:15:00

It's not always about discretion, not when you and the baby are first getting to grips with it, or when you have a 4/5 mth old who is more interested in pulling away to see whatever distraction is there...

And yes, well done to the staff

passmethewineplease Fri 06-Jun-14 13:15:14

Oh fuck off with the Nazi analogy do you know how offensive that is?

Good on costa, we all have the right to an opinion but you do not verbally abuse someone especially for doing something as normal and natural as breastfeeding your child.

tethersend Fri 06-Jun-14 13:15:36

It's not about discretion StarGazey, it's about breastfeeding and being verbally abused for doing so.

And I FF two babies as I disliked breastfeeding, so I'm afraid I don't fit your trite 'BF Nazi' description.

Having said that, I suspect you are just trying to defend something which is clearly indefensible out of boredom, so I'll just enjoy watching you faff around trying to do so.

OwlCapone Fri 06-Jun-14 13:16:07

Opinions are like buttocks. We've all got them but it isn't always a good idea to air them in public.

WireCat Fri 06-Jun-14 13:16:55

No one should call anyone else a slut.

Good on Costa.

Shame on the folks doing the insulting.

Those against breast feeding...how do you think the human race have survived?

Btw, all 3 of mine were bottle fed.

spottydolphin Fri 06-Jun-14 13:18:12

godwin's law and only the 5th response! wtg stargazey do you not think it's rather crass and offensive comparing breastfeeding supporters to a regime that massacred millions of people? Because I sure as fuck do.

if SOME people don't like it then SOME people should stop looking at other women's breasts.

there are plenty of things I don't like, doesn't give me the right to abuse people.

LadyNexus Fri 06-Jun-14 13:18:27

Good on costa, it's idiots like that that made me stay inside for a year of bf dd.

Pregnant again and this time thanks to mn I'll bf wherever the hell we are.

And practice my death stare grin

All opinions don't hold equal value. Some are just wrong.

Rowboat Fri 06-Jun-14 13:20:15

Horrible people. If you don't like it you can look the other way, or leave. I think I've been really lucky to have never had negative comments. Yes, some people don't like it but so what? I don't like a whole number of things, but wouldn't insult strangers if they were doing them.
But what really amazes me is that the dm was able to stretch out the story so much. smile

WhoDaresWins Fri 06-Jun-14 13:21:41

I can't believe that there are still people who exist that think a breast feeding mum is a slut.

OwlCapone Fri 06-Jun-14 13:22:11

As an aside, that's not anniversary little high street Costa Coffe shop, it's an Esso petrol station. I wasn't even away they had seating.

Which is irrelevant to the fact that she shouldn't have been abused by people with no manners.

nicename Fri 06-Jun-14 13:22:28

If you don't like it, don't look. Personally, I don't like seeing couples snogging each other's faces off and groping each other in public. I choose not to gawp.

Calling her names is just nasty and completely uncalled for. I wonder if they'd butt in if they saw a screaming parent wallop a small child?

OwlCapone Fri 06-Jun-14 13:23:03

A nice little high street

No idea WTF anniversary is doing there!!

spottydolphin Fri 06-Jun-14 13:23:08

I honestly can't get my head around the fact that it's ok to call someone feeding a baby a slut, and yet women in bikinis don't get "slut" yelled at them all over the place (and nor should they!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now