Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What was your secondary school uniform like?

(94 Posts)
wineoclocktimeye Fri 06-Jun-14 11:03:44

Assuming you had one.

We didn't and school photos show a fashion montage of 1976-1983 <shows age> from bell bottoms with tartan, via ripped jeans and safety pins (through clothes not flesh!) to Duran shawls and frilly shirts.

Awful, gold and bottle green! Late 90s. Still, probably better than late 90s fashion, I wore some shockers in those days grin

HowsTheSerenity Fri 06-Jun-14 11:07:28

Summer - blue tartan dress, straw Panama hat
Winter - blue tartan kilt, white shirt, tie, long socks, blazer.

Thank god they got rid of the beret and gloves!

CuppaSarah Fri 06-Jun-14 12:08:33

A white shirt, mauve jumper, grey and mauve tie and black trousers. Oh how I longed to go to a school that had nice blazers.

Mandy2003 Fri 06-Jun-14 12:10:04

Anything we liked as long as it was a skirt and cardigan, to be worn with the school blouse. Lower school wore grey, upper school black.

I interpreted the rules loosely though: black maxi skirt and motorcycle boots at one point (1977) I think smile

EyelinerQueen Fri 06-Jun-14 12:10:50

Shit and custard (as we were called by the boy's school).

Brown knee length skirt, primrose shirt, brown v neck jumper, brown and primrose tie, cream knee socks, brown clodhopper shoes.

The very memory of it brings me out in hives.

DogCalledRudis Fri 06-Jun-14 12:11:41

I did not have uniform, but my dress sense was hideous. I used to wear brown jeans, colourful tracksuit top, my mother's high heels and handbag. Later i graduated into a goth.

Youdontneedacriminallawyer Fri 06-Jun-14 12:15:32

I'm old, so mine was a bit Mallory Towers. Navy tunic dress, which had to be no more than 9" above knee when kneeling. White shirt. Navy tie with yellow stripes. Navy blazer. Beret with school badge on. Grey socks.

I can't even begin to describe the voluminous dress we had to wear for PE and Dance.

AlpacaLypse Fri 06-Jun-14 12:16:35

At prep school it was horrible. Winter was an itchy skirt, long grey socks, throat squeezing shirt and tie, heavy wool blazer and a peculiar woollen beret thing that made my forehead sweaty and itchy. The summer uniform - at least the dress was nice, but the straw boater used to leave a red mark on my forehead. At secondary later there was no blazer or hat, just official colours - navy and grey. As I result I refused to wear navy (even though it actually quite suits my colouring) until I was nearly 30. However my charcoal grey jersey I loved deeply and continued to wear for years until it finally became so full of holes that they joined up and it fell apart sad

MrsJohnDeere Fri 06-Jun-14 12:19:08

Grey A line skirt that had to be below the knee

Blue and white blouse

Blue jumper

Navy blazer with light blue trim and school bade

Choice of navy duffel coat or grey gabardine

TheReluctantCountess Fri 06-Jun-14 12:20:06

Bottle green a line skirt and jumper, with a yellow blouse. Awful.

meditrina Fri 06-Jun-14 12:21:06

It was pale blue shirt (long sleeves and with tie in winter, short sleeves and no tie in summer) with navy skirt and navy cardigan. There was a blazer, but it was optional and hardly anyone wore one ever.

For games it was pale blue aertex shirt, navy gym skirt and navy blue knickers.

ILoveCoreyHaim Fri 06-Jun-14 12:22:01

Black blazer, black jumper, black skirt, 10 pairs socks ruffled, pair timberland boots or barretts lofers. Also remember having some purple wallabies and a pair of doc marten with elastic side panels

TheSarcasticFringehead Fri 06-Jun-14 12:23:51

The shirt had blue and white stripes. We had a kind of dark navy kilt style skirt. We had to have white tights or long socks. Had a dark blue knitted jumped with our small white logo on it, OR a dark blue knitted cardigan without a logo. We had a black blazer with the school symbol on it but most of us couldn't afford it so barely any of us wore it anyway.

Wabbitty Fri 06-Jun-14 12:25:38

A greyish green A-line skirt, blazer and jumper (bottle green would have been an improvement) white blouse, greyish green tie with grey and white stripes.
Then they changed it to black watch tartan pleated skirt, matching green jumper and blazer, still white shirt and tie green with navy and white stripes (I think). It might sound hideous but it was a huge improvement

xihha Fri 06-Jun-14 12:34:46

1st secondary - burgundy jumper, cream blouse, knee length navy blue skirt with 2 pleats at the front so you couldn't roll it up, black or skin coloured tights. Summer uniform was a burgundy and green tartan dress, which was far too short and was the wrong shape for any girl to look good in. Shoes had to be black and have a heel of less than 2 inches, no boots, trainers or canvas shoes.

2nd secondary school - black or navy trousers or skirt (any style or length we wanted, so long as you couldn't see your knickers when you bent over), white shirt, navy blue v-neck jumper and navy blue tie. no rule on shoes.

dorothyparka Fri 06-Jun-14 12:36:03

Another vision of geekiness in bottle green and gold here--with really bad shoes

TessTackle Fri 06-Jun-14 12:37:40

We had a navy blazer, purple Phoenix on the pocket.
Navy trousers or skirts for girls. Grey trousers for boys.
White shirts fitted when we got to yr10 against the rules
Navy tie with yellow and purple stripes until year 10, bsby tie with purple Phoenix' in year 11.
Black shoes never trainers.

TommyandGina Fri 06-Jun-14 12:38:45

Really scary. Brown kilt, beige and light blue blouse, beige jumper and brown blazer. All had to come from John Lewis, and all accessories, shoes, hair ties etc had to be brown, any sign of makeup or nail varnish and you were marched straight to Matron to have it removed. 'Twas rather strict for late 80's.

BikeRunSki Fri 06-Jun-14 12:39:12

Navy blue pleated skirt
White shirt
Navy v neck with red and yellow, sorry crimson and gold, stripes round the v
Navy blazer

Phased out at the end of my 1st year. Which meant basically everyone stopped wearing it overnight.

They kept PE uniform though and were really strict about it. White aertex blouse, red or kilt, long white socks, red jumper.

ShoeWhore Fri 06-Jun-14 12:39:28

Navy blue box pleat skirt (is there any garment in existence less flattering than a midi length box pleated skirt?!)
Sky blue check open necked blouse, navy pullover with sky blue stripe, airforce blue blazer.

For PE we had sky blue airtex blouse, navy skirt, royal blue gym knickers - I remember having to do athletic in just the airtex blouse and gym knickers - excruciatingly embarrassing as a teenager!

I'm another one who hated navy blue with a passion for many many years afterwards grin

beccajoh Fri 06-Jun-14 12:39:32

Bottle green with gold trim. Lovely!

arghhelpme Fri 06-Jun-14 12:40:44

Navy kilt, navy clown trousers, navy blazer and blue shirt with deep red and blue tie.
Bloody awful. They only had one style of trousers for us girls, really wide on hips that seemed to get slimmer as they got closer to the ankle.

They have changed the uniform, lucky buggers seem to be able to wear what ever trousers plus polo shirts with school logo.

beccajoh Fri 06-Jun-14 12:40:44

Oh and you were meant to have your initials embroidered on your PE kit (late 90s, I mean wtf?) but my mum wrote it on with a fabric pen instead grin

ems1910 Fri 06-Jun-14 12:43:27

eyeliner Are you in Plymouth by any chance?

Ours was black trousers/skirt (or hipsters/belt in my case!), white shirt, black jumper or cardigan. Black and blue striped tie, unless you were a prefect and it was black with little school logos all over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now