Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone not have stair gates?

(19 Posts)
Chickenschicken Fri 06-Jun-14 10:50:45

I have a one year old and will be staying in a house with stairs for three months (no stairs in our house, so not come across this yet).
Does anyone just always shut doors, try and watch them etc? Obviously you can forget to shut the stair gate as well. Or should I bite the bullet and get some?
(No issues with being allowed to install them)

EnglishRose1320 Sat 07-Jun-14 07:40:44

We were past the age for stair gates when we moved into our current house which has 2 flights of stairs but my nieces and nephews often come round- they range in age from 10 months to 2years and I haven't yet felt the need to get stair gates, I just shut the doors and find that works okay. They have never stayed the night though and I think if they were no longer in a cot and on a bed I would want at least a travel stair gate to pop on their door just in case.

Standinginline Sat 07-Jun-14 07:42:10

We did with our son right from when he was moving about ,but my daughters a year next month and haven't really thought about putting them back. But that might be because she's so clingy she'll never actually wonder off further than my eyesight ,anyway.

EnglishRose1320 Sat 07-Jun-14 07:43:20

www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplay0_10751_-1_126109_10001

Something like this, they can't be opened like a normal gate so no good for frequently used rooms, although the one we had at my parents house I found all the adults could step over if needed.

tumbletumble Sat 07-Jun-14 07:44:52

It's ok not to have stair gates if you are prepared to be vigilant and keep an eye on your DC at all times. Kids do love climbing stairs! I had one at the top (so they couldn't fall all the way down if we were upstairs) but didn't bother with one at the bottom (as I assumed I would get there before they climbed too high). That would save you half the cost!

OHforDUCKScake Sat 07-Jun-14 07:45:16

I didnt think we needed a stair gate.

I said Id just keep the door shut.

That was until someone left it open and my 14 month old climbed one step, fell down and broke his little far wrist. sad

Take it from me, get a stair gate.

If you are in the south east you can have my spare one, its only a few weeks old.

Lanabelle Sat 07-Jun-14 07:50:56

I have a playpen I use because there is no way I could pit a stairgate on the oddly shaped stair entrance that we have but I also have the youngests room gated and the kitchen gated off so I can lock them in without closing the door and still hear them.

DP has a massive scar on the back of his head because his DM doesn't believe in stair gates. He fell down their stairs at eighteen months old and cut his head open.

I would have one.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 08:52:57

I didn't have a stair gate for either DS. All was fine but that was years ago and it was a decision I thought fine at the time.
I wasn't on MN-maybe if I was I would have had one.

I remember going round to a house and nearly falling down the stairs myself tripping over the stairgate though with a baby DS2 in my arms.

mewkins Sat 07-Jun-14 09:00:16

We have one at the top.of the stairs but just closed the door (and installed a cath at the top) to stop dd escaping. It worked fine. Once they are a bit steadier you can sort of train them to slide on their bellies up and down stairs which is great because they then know to do that on any stairs. I wouldn't spend much on a stair gate - see if you can borrow one for 6mths or get acheap one.

Artandco Sat 07-Jun-14 09:03:43

We didn't have. Just taught kids not to climb without us, how to climb safely with us, and took them with us to kitchen etc if needed to move rooms.

Re stairs gates I think they are far more dangerous. You become more placatent. We have two friends who used them. Friend a) someone left gate open at top and baby fell down whilst parent was dressing younger baby. As they thought he was safe so didn't check him leaving bedroom. Friend b) shut gate and let 13 month old play upstairs all around whilst having shower. He managed to climb over gate, thereby falling from an even higher place. he broke leg.

I would rather in the above. A) just keep toddling baby in room I was changing newborn. Either by watching and saying they have to stay and play with toys in there 5 mins or by shutting room door if needed .b) I would just take moving baby into bathroom and shut door whilst in shower.

Also easier when you travel/ visit friends or family as they have quickly learnt the rules. I think we had 2-3 weeks of baby attempting to climb alone, then stopped

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 09:08:35

I think that was my train of thought Artandco. I didn't want the stairs to be a mystery to the DC and taught them very early on how to go up and down safely.

I probably got by with a combination of being extremely watchful,keeping doors shut, and I had a travel cot downstairs to pop them in.

Paisleychick Sat 07-Jun-14 09:13:01

We don't have them on the stairs. Our little one is 20 months and we have taught him how to safely go up and down the stairs, but he was never a fast crawler and we only have the one so we have the luxury of always being able to keep an eye on him when we are upstairs. We do have one on the kitchen though, but that's a different post.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Sat 07-Jun-14 09:15:07

It is especially useful to have one upstairs, otherwise you have to shut them in one room with you, whereas downstairs I can close the doors to the hallway and still move between my kitchen, living room and dining room. It is just so much easier to have a gate at the bottom as well though. You get used to it surprisingly quickly, and I think Tesco have them 2 for £20.

whatsagoodusername Sat 07-Jun-14 09:18:53

We didn't have them for either of our children. We did put some of those foam tiles down at the bottom of the stairs though, as we had hard floors.
Taught them both how to climb down backwards. They both tumbled a couple of times, but nothing serious. Ironically both tumbles occurred when they were being accompanied on the stairs - not when they were alone confused

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 09:21:13

If you do have them when do you know when to take them away?

NotCitrus Sat 07-Jun-14 10:09:46

I had to take mine down when Dd was about 18 months because the 5yo and friends would swing on it and I was worried it would fall down after it shifted a bit. Dd was good at crawling feet-down on them.

I do have a Babydan one well-secured across the stairs to the loft, which 5yos can't open but can climb over. It's more for zoning purposes. Most of our door handles are round so can't be opened until age 3-4.

Sparklingbrook Sat 07-Jun-14 11:36:07

Ah yes to the round door knobs. it was brilliant. We changed quite a few doors from handle to doorknobs. Works brilliantly.

Chickenschicken Mon 09-Jun-14 07:30:45

Thanks everyone. It's an odd house with 2 flights of stairs so potentially 4 stair gates. I think I'll be popping to ikea when I arrive as dd is an explorer.
She has been taught how to get off the bed etc safely so hopefully stairs shouldn't be too big a jump to teach as we will definitely be visiting people without stair gates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now