Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do your DC attend schools with no uniform?

(137 Posts)
JimmyCorkhill Fri 06-Jun-14 10:29:59

Help!

My DD is due to start school in September. They have a no uniform policy. It's a brand new school so there's no precedent set. I have NO idea what to dress her in. The clothes she wears to preschool get trashed incredibly quickly. I want something as hard wearing as school uniform. Any suggestions?

mummymeister Fri 06-Jun-14 10:40:28

even though there is a no uniform policy it might be worth buying some uniform type clothes to put her in so grey/black trousers, plain shirt with nice jumper hoody or cardigan. the reason I like uniforms is that it stops the creep into their decent clothes. start up two wardrobes/drawers for her. avoid jeans though if they get wet they stay wet.

Dizzywhore Fri 06-Jun-14 10:44:55

Cheep summer dresses from supermarkets or h&m are great. Leggings, hoodies, cheep tshirts and for smarter days like class assembly's black trousers and shirts or smart tshirts.

CharmQuark Fri 06-Jun-14 10:48:47

School uniform isn't necessarily hard wearing, IME.
DC went to a non-uniform primary - the gilrs wore normal clohes - jeans, dresses, leggings, dresses with leggings, etc - all casual (not dressy or fussy) and hard wearing. Skirts or trousers with sweat tops etc.

ouryve Fri 06-Jun-14 10:49:27

DS1 has just started at a school with no uniform. After staining a pair of bright coloured skinny chinos there, I've stocked up on lots of plain dark joggers for him. He wears joggers a lot, anyhow, but his favourite light grey ones would be ruined in a day.

TheSarcasticFringehead Fri 06-Jun-14 10:49:43

Yes. My DC tend to wear trainers or converse type stuff, jeans or durable trousers and their tops are usually polo tops (uniform like) or an ordinary t-shirt. They have a hoodie or a zip up jacket to wear over their top too.

DogCalledRudis Fri 06-Jun-14 10:49:46

What does she normally wear? She can wear the same to school. Jeans, tracksuits, knitwear, whatever

MollyBdenum Fri 06-Jun-14 10:51:50

DD's school introduced a uniform when she was in Y1 sad but in reception she mostly wore leggings with dresses or jeans and t shirts and a cardigan. H&M do lots of cheap, sturdy cotton clothes which are perfect for school and lots more comfortable, long lasting and easy to clean than I've found the uniform to be.

FinDeSemaine Fri 06-Jun-14 10:55:19

Yes, DD's' school did the same as Molly's. She spent reception in leggings and T-shirts/pinafores/tunics etc with trainers and similar on her feet. H&M means you can get normal clothes just as cheaply as school uniform and they are far more comfortable and attractive than uniform is. You are v lucky. I wish we could get rid of our uniform.

Ihateparties Fri 06-Jun-14 10:56:53

Mine do, well one does and another will in September, they just wear whatever they would normally wear. The odd thing has got a bit trashed but not seriously. If ds accidentally gets permanent marker on his trousers (which he does, repeatedly) then he wears them like that until they are outgrown or torn. I find it simpler, them wearing the same clothes year round because you don't have the problem of having enough non uniform clothes for the holidays that then don't get worn during term time.

Shedding Fri 06-Jun-14 11:04:10

Most of DDs' friends go to a non uniform school, they wear whatever kids wear and must save a fortune on shoes!

Shedding Fri 06-Jun-14 11:06:41

After 4 DDs, I find for hardwearing purposes highly patterned dresses in a woven rather than jersey or knit fabric last the longest plus gap leggings and tops.

TheIncredibleBookEatingManchot Fri 06-Jun-14 11:21:18

Mine have no uniform. Most of the children wear jeans and jumpers/T-shirts, just whatever they'd normally wear that's comfortable and won't restrict running around etc.
The school does have some rules about clothes; shoulders have to be covered (to prevent burning in summer) and shorts and skirts can't be too short.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 06-Jun-14 11:21:29

Thank you!

Shedding where do you buy those types of dresses from?

FinDeSemaine I will swap schools with you. I'm pretty gutted that there's no uniform (Victorian parent!!)

My DD is a world expert on trashing clothes. She could find a speck of dust in an operating theatre and spread it all over her! I like the idea of school skirts/trousers with a jazzier jumper.

FinDeSemaine Fri 06-Jun-14 11:42:41

I would swap in a heartbeat! Honestly, no uniform is just TONS easier for everyone.

RiverTam Fri 06-Jun-14 11:47:21

DD will be starting at a non-uniform school in September and she'll wear what she does now (nursery 3 full days a week) - leggings, cords, T shirts, dresses, whatever, usually from Sainsbo's, H&M, few bits from JL and M&S.

What do you mean by 'trashing' - just getting muck on them (surely perfectly normal at this age), or actually wearing them out in no time.

MollyBdenum Fri 06-Jun-14 11:57:10

I'm with FinDeSemaine. Non uniform is nicer and easier in just about every way. I wish the school would go back to non uniform.

JimmyCorkhill Fri 06-Jun-14 13:00:14

RiverTam I mean that they will have paint or pen marks on them. Or spilt food. Or really ingrained dirt on the knees and bum! She does wear them anyway, I'm not rich enough or precious enough to replace them all the time. I want her to get stuck into things and not be worried about the state of her clothes, I just want some clothes that seem a bit more resilient. I recently (about 3 weeks ago) bought her 6 pairs of leggings and matching t shirts from Sainsbury's, and they look ancient already!

TheLeftovermonster Fri 06-Jun-14 13:27:57

Gap have a uniform section that doesn't look very uniformy, and seems hardwearing.

I don't find uniform particularly hardwearing btw, it starts looking scruffy very quickly.

MandarinCheesecake Fri 06-Jun-14 13:52:45

Both my ds's went to a school where uniform wasn't compulsory.
And even then the uniform guidelines they did have were very flexible.

They both wore jogging bottoms/polo shirts and sweatshirts/hoody jackets. Sometimes in school colours sometimes not. Both also wore trainers.

When dd was in nursery she wore basically the same joggers/tracksuits with a t shirt and trainers. I kept her nursery wardrobe separate from home clothes. As she would always come home covered in paint/pen/food etc.

I loved it, was great as you were never stuck for something to wear at short notice. That was until they moved schools where they needed the more regimented uniform which is just a bloody pain tbh, as there is no flexibility or leeway at all.

MandarinCheesecake Fri 06-Jun-14 14:03:25

I don't find uniform particularly hardwearing btw, it starts looking scruffy very quickly.

Agree with this totally!

DD looks like a bloody bag lady at the moment and I have had to replace several items of clothing regularly over the school year including endless pairs of shoes!!!
She's down to one pinafore that had the pocket ripped off also covered in glue marks, one cardigan that has ripped at the seams and a couple of polo shirts.

But I refuse to buy any more uniform so close to the end of year as she is moving up to secondary in September so needs a completely different uniform.

castlesintheair Fri 06-Jun-14 14:04:08

All 3 of mine wear a non-uniform of jeans, t shirts (long or short sleeved depending on weather), hoodies and converse trainers. The girls often wear skirts and sandals in summer/boots in winter but for my DS it's a variation on same every day. It's never been a problem (I thought it might) and they love it.

You can get cheapo converse trainers at Primark and lots of supermarkets. Just as good for kids. Go to a Gap outlet and stock up on the rest.

MollyBdenum Fri 06-Jun-14 14:06:24

With DD's uniform, the skirts and summer dresses are pretty hardwearing but made of horrible polyester. The trousers get faded and patchy around the knees quite quickly. The polo shirts are white. On the second week of term she got a paint stain on one that never came out, and they all look greyish by the end of the year. The cardigans fade quickly, and the logoed ones day handwash only on the label. The tights shrink and are very hard to replace after around October. I need to do separate washes for the whites, reds and greys.

Patterned cotton tops didn't show the stains as badly, and everything could go in one each together (and almost all in the tumble dryer).

It's much easier to get changed for PE when your clothes don't get mixed up with other identical items, and fewer things go missing. It's also easier to find a missing garment in the lost property box.

I'm also finding that with uniform every day, clothes become much more important for mufti days and school discos, with the girls putting pressure on each other to be stylish more than they did in the non-uniform days.

FinDeSemaine Fri 06-Jun-14 15:52:25

i I'm also finding that with uniform every day, clothes become much more important for mufti days and school discos, with the girls putting pressure on each other to be stylish more than they did in the non-uniform days.

Yes, we have found the same. They all go nuts on non-uniform days - they never used to when non-uniform was the rule.

For those stuck with uniform, I have found H&M grey cords far less likely to bobble and look horrible than standard uniform trousers if you have a school that allows a bit of leeway. And Pex do 100% cotton summer dresses which I found on eBay and which look nicer (and are cooler) than the polyester kind.

FriedaMensch Fri 06-Jun-14 16:09:03

DD doesn't wear uniform.

She just wears whatever she would wear at the weekend - skirts and t shirt, or dresses, she doesn't like trousers. She chooses her own clothes, no angst, I'm happy, she's happy.

Things get dirty, they go in the wash, come out clean. I love not having to buy uniform, or school shoes.

I do try to buy slightly more expensive, good quality stuff, it tends to last better. I get most things in the sale. She has been wearing the same gap t shirts for about 2 and a half years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now