Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

D Day thread.............S orry if there is one already.

(26 Posts)

I have listened to nearly all of Chris Evans show and now have the BBC coverage on. I am very honoured to know a D Day Veteran who is now 90 years old and has been interviewed in our local newspaper today. He is in Normandy today laying a wreath in honour of our local RBL Group. WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.............

Anyone else watching?

CitronVert Fri 06-Jun-14 10:01:20

DH and I visited the beaches and one of the big cemeteries while on holiday in France a few years ago. It was so moving- the headstones seem to go on forever.

It's such a beautiful, peaceful corner of the world now it's hard to imagine what it must have been like for those brave men and the French people who were liberated.

RIP

CitronVert Fri 06-Jun-14 10:04:49

It's also hard to imagine those lovely old men who've been interviewed this morning were at the time so young (probably only late teens) and must have been beyond terrified.

But they've had 70 more years of living than those who were sadly killed that day. All those young lives cut short.

My friend was 20 years old. I wish the interview was on their website so i could put it on here!

I have put the Sky Box on record as i have to go work at 11.15.

TwoLeftSocks Fri 06-Jun-14 10:15:05

My grandfather that I never got to meet (died in the 50s) was a truck driver and landed a couple of days after the landings. I just did the sums and my dad would have been just three when he went, quite a strange feeling sat here now with our three year old. Big debt owed to all of them.

In floods of tears now. Just listened to the Veterans Association guy and now The Last Post............. sad

Just saw the old man wiping a tear away during the two minutes silence..... sad

I still had my metal poppy on my jacket from last November and have just put it on my tee shirt for today!

TiredCassandra Fri 06-Jun-14 10:36:45

It is very touching. I am thinking of all those brave people at home and abroad, in services and going about their daily life who suffered in WWII.

kissmyheathenass Fri 06-Jun-14 10:41:25

Very very humbling. We owe so much to these men and women. Some of dh's family were killed in the death camps.

I worry this will all fade as the veterans pass away. We must keep memories like this alive, it's a fantastic story. Maybe one day the world will learn from its mistakes.

Nancy66 Fri 06-Jun-14 10:43:19

I've been thinking about this a lot this week. Cannot imagine what it must have been like for those young men, being sent on a mission that they knew they had a very good chance of not surviving.

Very moving and I'm glad so many kids are learning about it.

DS2 was very close to our D Day friend. I have texted him and he has told his teacher who has said it is amazing!

Nancy66 Fri 06-Jun-14 11:23:49

Sad to think that there must be so many WW2 veterans sitting alone in care homes today.

TiredCassandra Fri 06-Jun-14 11:52:19

Why is that sad Nancy66?

Nancy66 Fri 06-Jun-14 11:58:47

because they gave so much, probably risked their lives and now they're likely spend their last days plonked in an armchair being shouted out by a bunch of uncaring staff who couldn't even spell D Day let alone understand what it meant.

that's why

TiredCassandra Fri 06-Jun-14 12:24:12

I know there are some care home staff that are like that, not all are. I do feel for those who are in a care home as you describe, as there will be some.

I can at last put my lovely friend's interview here
Ted is a true hero in my eyes................. smile

Bump!!!!

NCISaddict Fri 06-Jun-14 17:39:19

That's made me cry, Lottie What a man, so humble. flowers

tilliebob Fri 06-Jun-14 17:41:16

I've been watching off and on during the day and have been very tearful watching these old frail men who we owe so much to. I am a bit of a history buff and have visited some war graves in France and Belgium. DS1 also is a history buff and is desperate for his school trip to the battlefields to arrive.

We're both sitting in the kitchen watching BBC right now.

My Mum and I are watching too. The tv has been on for most of the day. Laura Wright the soprano who is singing was in the year above my nephew at school!!

Just heard a wonderful story from a D Day veteran on the BBC. Many years after D Day he went to a football match and recognised someone he called "Doc" three rows behind him. Doc was in the same boat as the veteran on the way to Normandy. Doc felt seasick and went up on to the deck. When he came back a few minutes later his friends said "Here Doc where are your teeth?" "I think they are biting the fish" said Doc!!!

Preciousbane Fri 06-Jun-14 18:31:04

Did anyone catch the report on the BBC of the French schoolchildren singing to D-Day veterans last night?

I found myself getting really teary when this young French lad hugged this old chap and said I love you.

DH Grandad was part of the Normandy landings and we went a couple of years ago and followed part of his route. In St Mere Eglise the owner of a restaurant was so welcoming and gave us free calvados when he found out DH grandad had been part of the landings. His Father had been liberated and was still alive and loved the English. I also have a French Friend whose Grandmother was in the resistance, she carried messages on her bicycle and got through many a check as she was a young teenager.

His grandad survived, DH family have a very unusual family name, it is a really old Anglo Saxon name. We found one person with the same family name on the war graves commission website, he was buried in one of the small military cemeteries and we visited this young mans grave.

We do owe those veterans and fallen so much and I think how much those poor French civillians suffered over both the world wars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now