Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Keeping dog bedding fresh

(27 Posts)
fledtoscotland Fri 06-Jun-14 08:06:46

Following on from the bleach thread, how do you fellow pet owners keep pet beds and the rest of your carpets smelling fresh?

Any of the sprinkle on carpet type stuff gives my collie conjunctivitis. I spray the freshly hoovered carpets with zoflora diluted into spray a couple of times a week and pet bedding the same between washes.

Any other ideas to make your house fresh

SW home visit for adoption process next week so trying to make a good impression

TouchPauseEngage Fri 06-Jun-14 08:10:23

We bought a waterproof lined dog bed so just have to Hoover it out and give it a squirt with kitchen cleaner every so often. Best dog related purchase we've made- especially as he's a constantly moulting white thing.

Can't help with carpets as we got Karndean fitted recently!

TheFantasticMrsFox Fri 06-Jun-14 08:13:40

Not much help with a collie but my (much smaller ) cockers sleep on cheap pillows (about £2 a pair in Wilkinsons) I am currently in the process of making heavy duty cases for them that I can wash every couple of days. Once the pillows start to pong too badly or get overly dirty (the boys are working dogs so this doesn't take too long hmm) I chuck them and buy new ones.
I understand that's not the most environmentally friendly approach but it saves my sanity grin
As for carpets, wooden and tiled floors throughout downstairs and no dogs upstairs- it's the only way I could manage!

HospitalHassler Fri 06-Jun-14 08:18:28

I have 2 dogs - one of whom is becoming a little incontinent. Stinky dog beds are a constant challenge.

Our solution - I buy lots of fleecy blankets - Ikea sell them for about £2, and I pick them up from charity shops when I see them. I use these to line the beds, and change frequently. The benefit of fleece is it dries almost instantly, so you can wash and replace quickly.

I'm pretty sure our bedroom smells of dog, but I'd rather have them near me, listening to them snore and dream all night and have a bit of smell, than lock them downstairs where they would pine all night! <soft>

FuckyNell Fri 06-Jun-14 08:24:47

Same as pp, fleecey blankets (primark for mine) wash every other day with zoflora as a rinse.

Eebahgum Fri 06-Jun-14 08:27:23

I wish there was a magic answer to this question. We have 2 large dogs and I blissfully remember how lovely my house was before they moved in with dp. I try to wash the beds regularly but after a while find it's not making a difference and bin them. Resigned myself to the fact the house smells like dogs and try not to invite visitors round.

luccamum Fri 06-Jun-14 08:29:37

Buy a carpet cleaner, I would have lost my sanity if it wasn't for my Bissell.
(Had large old dog with continence issues throughout his life).
Second the use of fleeces, they wash quickly, dont hold smells and dry almost instantly.
Try pound shops and Home Bargains.

HospitalHassler Fri 06-Jun-14 08:49:38

Also OP - Good luck with the SW visit! I'm sure your house will be fine, they won't be put off by some homely dog smells.

Greyhounds tend not to smell "doggy" all the time although she does have her moments. I have laminate flooring throughout with bath mats as rugs so these get thrown in the washing machine along with her bedding once a week. These days she tends to sleep mostly on the brown leather sofa so I wipe that over with a damp cloth and very diluted bleach when I can be bothered.

I am a bit anal about doggy smells so have reed diffusers and plug in fresheners scattered about. Why are they soooo expensive?

PootlewasthebestFlump Fri 06-Jun-14 09:15:09

I put drops of essential oil in the washing machine drawer when I was the dog fleeces and the smell permeates thr house and the blankets.

About to replace all carpets with laminate so I can swiffer up all the hair.

One of our dogs always smells though so I know we have a doggy house which we've never really had before.

PootlewasthebestFlump Fri 06-Jun-14 09:16:45

Oh and good luck with the SW, we shall soon be in your shoes!

I'm hoping that a messy house shows we are not anal and precious about things which is good when you adopt a toddler, right?!

MrsPennyapple Fri 06-Jun-14 09:25:08

I posted this on the bleach thread but for anyone who didn't see it - Our dogs' beds are all fabric, so the whole thing goes through the machine. I wash with normal detergent but fill the fabric conditioner part with white vinegar. The beds come out of the machine without a trace of a smell on them.

No idea about the carpet though. I find it's the beds that make the place smell. Sleeping dogs have a very particular smell, so if you let your dogs sleep in your bedroom, your bedroom will smell.

KurriKurri Fri 06-Jun-14 09:45:49

I used to have a cupboard full of cheap fleecy blankets etc from charity shops which I used to line her plastic basket. Basket was washed regularly and blankets swapped and washed every couple of days. I used to just hoover the floor a lot (she wasn't an especially smelly dog being ony little) but as she got older and slightly more prone to accidents I invested in a vax carpet cleaner and that seemed to do the trick.

Mrsjayy Fri 06-Jun-14 09:49:03

I wash dog bed with powder and white vinegar top munsnet tip that it works although I just need to febreeze the carpet and sofa oh he has a plastic basket that the bed sits in I hose it out use washing up liquid cos he chews the edges

Better dog shampoo (Pethead) means my dog smells loads better. His bedding is an old duvet cover which is washed once a week, I have three or four and keep them in a bag in the shed then wash them all together on a hot wash once a month or so.

fledtoscotland Fri 06-Jun-14 15:31:32

Thankyou everyone for the tips. I have a basket of fleeces/towels that get washed pretty much daily. A carpet cleaner for a monthly deep clean but get paranoid my house smells it probably does but of zoflora. Hopefully SW will see it as lived it with two DC, three dogs and two cats confused

stonecircle Fri 06-Jun-14 16:13:17

Any suggestions re carpet cleaners? I see Lucca uses a Bissell. We've got hard wearing carpet in the living room and hall and it could really do with a clean. Last time I hired a cleaner from Morrisons but it was fairly ineffective. I was thinking of getting them cleaned professionally but that's a faff because you have to clear the floors as much as you can so they can all be done in one go.

IF I thought there was an effective carpet cleaner out there which I could buy and use myself I'd buy it like a shot. So any suggestions most welcome.

(We have 2 labradors who like to get wet and dirty!)

fledtoscotland Fri 06-Jun-14 16:20:16

I've just got a cheapo vax carpet cleaner from Argos. Doesn't get amazing reviews but it seems to get dirt out of the carpet

Coumarin Fri 06-Jun-14 16:24:34

I get paranoid about it too. Best thing is to throw open the windows every day for at least an hour. Regularly bath your dog and dry them straight away using a hairdryer in a low setting.

Yy to blankets and throws that can be swooped every other day and thrown in the wash. Our dog has those in his plastic bed, which gets wiped regularly.

He also has, in a different place, two single duvets folded in half, each with a cover on, one on top of each other. The covers get washed once a week. They're cheap £6 duvets so they get replaced every couple of months.

I've started using that Dettol laundry wash stuff recently and it's excellent for getting everything really fresh. Bit ££ though.

Wood floor throughout except the living room which is cleaned with the carpet cleaner every couple of months.

Coumarin Fri 06-Jun-14 16:27:42

but the fact you're even asking suggests it's probably not a problem. Sounds like you've got it in control already.

Lots of luck for your visit. thanks

fledtoscotland Fri 06-Jun-14 16:50:57

Coumarin - I would hate to think my house had a smell iykwim. Little dog is a midden rolling in anything and generally wading through every bit of mud she can find so it bathed at least weekly plus 2 monthly dog groomer visits. Collie gets too stressed with baths and GSD gets bimonthly trips to wizard of paws (DIY doggie wash). Only carpet in lounge downstairs which is zoflora'd regularly mainly to keep it germ free.

I'm worried that SW won't be a pet lover so a doggie-smelling house won't be in our favour. Will start cleaning frenzy 48hrs before visit to ensure skirting boards get their annual clean blush

leadrightfoot Fri 06-Jun-14 16:58:21

Bissel - the most expensive one you can with the pet cleaning functions and the heating function.
I have tried the rest and they don't work as well.
I know it is expensive to buy but the savings in getting the floors completely dry after and ease of use, longevity and so on.

Coumarin Fri 06-Jun-14 16:59:15

Loving 'Wizard of Paws' grin

Can you keep the doggies out of the lounge area for the next week until after they've been? Throw your windows open everyday to air it.

I do know what you mean. I drive DH mad sniffing the air when we come in, trying to detect any doggy smell. Doesn't help that he has zero sense of smell.

Even if your house does have a vague dog smell, and I really doubt it given what you've said, they're not going to write you off just because of that are they?

It'll be fine smile

Mothergothel1111 Fri 06-Jun-14 17:08:52

Put the dog bed outside every day, for a hour or so.
Wash once a fortnight.
Always dry your dog when it is wet.

No carpet here but you can sprinkle bicarbonate on it at night and Hoover in the morning.

fledtoscotland Fri 06-Jun-14 17:18:04

Right so dogs banned from lounge for 48hrs prior to visit, sodium bicarbonate on every carpet before vacuuming with zoflora after. Damp dust throughout with windows open daily. Doggies will be in kitchen during the visit anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now