Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How long can you plank for?

(27 Posts)
QueenBean Wed 04-Jun-14 23:35:49

Definitely not a humble brag - I can manage about 40 seconds and felt like I was going to die.

Openupyoureyes Wed 04-Jun-14 23:54:38

About 15 secs then collapse in a heap. I can only dream of reaching 40.

Skinheadmermaid Thu 05-Jun-14 00:33:59

A minute and then i collapse. Even at my absolute fittest i can't do much more.

AdoraBell Thu 05-Jun-14 00:38:33

I managed just over a minute last time I tried, about 1 min 10 seconds. I'm not trying it now as I feel wrecked from a virus and don't much fancy collapsing in a heap. The DDs would have to step over me.

MagpieMama Thu 05-Jun-14 00:41:16

I'm doing a '30 day ab challenge' work out thing and part of it is to increase plank time each day. I managed 15 seconds today and felt quite proud, then I looked at the rest of the program and day 30 says 120 seconds confused

stolemyusername Thu 05-Jun-14 00:44:49

About 12 hours on my back easily smile

AdoraBell Thu 05-Jun-14 00:45:06

But what day are you on Magpie? Before I started doing Pilates I couldn't manage 10 seconds.

KristinaM Thu 05-Jun-14 00:47:31

I have never timed myself, but it feels like A Very Long Time

So probably about 15 secs

I do a weekly Pilates class where I am easily 20 years younger than anyone else (including the instructor) .... And I'm 40. We do 90 second planks and our instructor tells jokes during that time. I normally cave before 90 secs but the rest can do it no problem.

AdoraBell Thu 05-Jun-14 01:06:12

I'm one of the oldest in my Pilates class, 46, and there is a woman in her 70's who wipes the floor with all of us.

I can't afford to go ATM.

iK8 Thu 05-Jun-14 01:12:16

Funnily enough I can plank for several minutes quite comfortably. But I cannot stand on one leg and I could never do a push up or plank until I was nearly 30.

I think it's 5 years of hefting small children and babies about in a sling that's done it.

123rd Thu 05-Jun-14 01:29:19

About 90 seconds-thanks to Pilates. I do the straight arm ones. But in my "awesome abs" class I go to all the beef cake boys only do the leaning in elbows plank. Does anyone know which is supposed to be more difficult?

BlameItOnTheBogey Thu 05-Jun-14 01:34:39

Planks are one thing I can do without breaking sweat. So probably about 3 mins. Now if only I could crack the pushups….

PenelopeLane Thu 05-Jun-14 01:46:36

About a minute 10 but it's something I've worked really hard on. Side planks on the other hand I can barely do for 10 secs

SomeKindOfDeliciousBiscuit Thu 05-Jun-14 02:45:04

Just over a minute.

AElfgifu Thu 05-Jun-14 02:59:53

Its hard to tell because for some reason planking always makes my watch run slow.

confused

There must be a scientific explanation for this phenomenon.

Eastpoint Thu 05-Jun-14 03:02:54

About 4 mins.

footballagain Thu 05-Jun-14 06:50:31

I think my best was about 3 mins something.

You have to try to learn to switch off!

TheCunkOfPhilomena Thu 05-Jun-14 08:04:19

I used to teach yoga and even then my longest was about 4 mins. I can do about 2 mins now but really feel it.

To those doing the 30 day abs challenge, have you seen this? It doesn't look too good for you.

footballagain Thu 05-Jun-14 08:11:27

Push-ups are another story. I hate the bloody bastarding things!

Lottapianos Thu 05-Jun-14 08:16:25

A minute. Its such hard work but a bloody brilliant exercise!

Love the joke-telling Pilates teacher!

AdoraBell Sun 08-Jun-14 00:08:51

I can't imagine lasting 4 minutes, but you've given me something to aim forgrin

ErrolTheDragon Sun 08-Jun-14 00:19:38

I can do a minute or so straight-arm, about 45 sec on forearms. Bloody hate doing them though.

123 - which you find harder depends on you. the forearm ones are harder work on the core, the straight arm ones harder on the shoulders I think.

RhondaJean Sun 08-Jun-14 00:23:01

About a minute 15 but man it hurts and I shake like feck.

Which my trainer says is good as it shows the muscles are working.

Straight arm ones apparently you have to bend your arms slightly to do properly. Do you all do the pull into the middle when you do it? I thoguht I was much better at it than I am until he started getting me doing it properly angry that's my face after a plank.

Shodan Sun 08-Jun-14 00:29:24

Somewhere in the 4.5 minute mark for forearm plank; a bit less for straight arm (maybe 3.5 mins). Push-ups- yep, got those down pat now.

BUT... I have been doing karate for eleven years. Strong core muscles are kind of imperative (it's no fun being punched in saggy stomach muscles).

Mountain climbers and squat thrusts are what make my heart sink.

And sumo stance (feet two shoulder widths wide, toes turned out, thighs parallel to the floor) is the worst. Feels like your bottom is going to fall out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now