Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Cutting your own hair?

(24 Posts)
MsTwankeyToYou Wed 04-Jun-14 20:43:34

I just cut my own hair using a modified version of the MN cut grin. I did the two-twists-and-cut trick to do my fringe (which needed a lot of neatening up, but gave a lovely shape), the forehead-ponytail-and-cut trick for the length, and then graduated at the front (by eye, with the help of a comb). I was worried that I'd get a load of unwanted layers, but it's literally as good as the best cut I've ever had from a hairdresser. Initially I planned to alternate hairdresser cuts with DIY trims, but it's turned out so well that I'm seriously considering Going It Alone and spending the extra £26 per month on wine from now on...

So, was it just beginner's luck, or have many of you had repeated success with the MN cut? (Any tips or warnings would be greatly appreciated!)

CMOTDibbler Wed 04-Jun-14 20:45:46

I cut my own hair (well, I do the front with layers round my face, and dh does the back), and have done for over a year now.
I'm happy with it, and it looks no worse than what the hairdressers did tbh

I've not been to the hairdressers in over four years, thanks to the mn haircut.

noddyholder Wed 04-Jun-14 20:48:50

Haven't been to hairdresser for 20 years smile

squirrelweasel Wed 04-Jun-14 20:52:27

I cut my own fringe all the time, much prefer it to the 'layered' fringe the hairdresser insisted I had last time because mine just doesn't look right apparently. Rude cow.

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Wed 04-Jun-14 20:58:39

"Two twists and cut"?? I've used the ponytail cut and found it great for layers and taking some of the weight out of my hair, although I'm not quite sure how to take off some of the length...

Youhaveafriendinme Wed 04-Jun-14 21:00:51

OP yes, what's the fringe thing you did?

Cocolepew Wed 04-Jun-14 21:01:34

I haven't been to a hairdresser for 12 years, Ive cut my hair from longoto short loads of times.
I do the MN cut on DD2 who has long hair.

puffylovett Wed 04-Jun-14 21:02:38

Yes subbing for the fringe

loveliesbleeding1 Wed 04-Jun-14 21:06:46

I can't understand how to do the mumsnet cut on a natural side parting,if that could be explained to me in laymans terms I would go for it.I tried befor but it was a bit lopsided, easily sorted but a bit nerve wracking.

Whatsforpudding Wed 04-Jun-14 21:09:32

I always trim my own fringe. I prefer to cut it myself as hairdressers always do it too short and I end up looking permanently surprised.

Cocolepew Wed 04-Jun-14 21:14:50

I pull the ponytail over to the side rather than straight forward if there is a side parting. I usually leave the fringe out and do it separate.

katrina81 Wed 04-Jun-14 21:18:57

I do mine and dd's hair using the mumsnet haircut. To trim the length I tie at the side into pig tails and take some off. I must say I am impressed with myself.

loveliesbleeding1 Wed 04-Jun-14 22:23:07

coco,so my hair naturally falls longer to the left, so do I put the ponytail to the left?.I don't have a fringe.

Cocolepew Wed 04-Jun-14 22:39:01

Yes.
But if it goes wrong, no.

littledrummergirl Wed 04-Jun-14 22:44:32

Dont do it after half a bottle of wine!

loveliesbleeding1 Thu 05-Jun-14 07:32:58

Ok,advice taken! grin, I will proceed with caution.

DizzyKipper Thu 05-Jun-14 07:45:48

I do the MN haircut but it always seems too long at the back. I enjoy the time saved though, and the money of course. For important events I go to the hairdresser for it though (last time they booked me for a more expensive person without telling me though - £50 it cost!).

DizzyKipper Thu 05-Jun-14 07:46:22

Gah, I wrote 'though' far too much in that post.

purplemurple1 Thu 05-Jun-14 08:06:29

Weird I'd never heard of the mn hair cut before but it sounds like how I've been cutting my hair for yrs. No problems so far but my hairs curly so I do have to do the pony tail left cut then right cut so I don't get random stragglers.

EasterSundaySimmons Thu 05-Jun-14 08:29:58

Another easy cut I used to do is a graduated bob, with the sides longer at the don't and short at the nape of the neck.

You tie your hair in a ponytail at the back/nape of your neck so that the ponytail sits at its lowest point. Then you cut off the ponytail and the hair falls forward with the front longer at the back.

I've now grown mine out but this cut was just as good as the hairdressers.

I am back to cutting my own hair and am saving myself loads of time and money.

Definitely keep doing it yourself. I've been cutting and colouring my own hair for 20 years now, though it helps that it's long and kind of wavy so don't need absolute precision.

I was scared off the MN haircut by a previous thread of people saying it was a disaster. Does it really work then?

goldopals Thu 05-Jun-14 09:58:21

I do my own hair. I divide it into two, put hair ties on and slide to the end. It works most of the time but does not really matter if it is crooked because m hair is passed my butt

throckenholt Thu 05-Jun-14 10:02:43

what is the "two-twists-and-cut trick" ?

I do my own fringe - but I usually make a bodge of it (and it takes a few weeks of growing to look decent). Currently it is getting too long because I keep putting it off.

Can't remember when I went to the hairdresser last - maybe 1988ish grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now