Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

WWYD?...have migraine...new job

(14 Posts)
havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:11:22

I'm at work. Ive only been here 5 weeks. I don't want to tell them i get migraines

i feel really disorientated and woolly and nauseous (not too bad) and freaked out. No pain. Eyesight alright at the moment

CeliaFate Wed 04-Jun-14 12:16:03

Tell them you've got a really bad headache and ask if you can go home for the afternoon.
Take Migraleve (over the counter) as soon as you can and keep some in your desk for future attacks.
Caffeine, carbohydrates and sugar all help. The g.p. can prescribe something to help prevent them if you get them often.
Don't suffer in silence, there's no need to hide it from your boss, but I'd see your g.p. so you have a record of it if the need arises.

havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:18:30

Ive been seeing consultant. Just waiting for mri ro check brain before going on beta blockers.

feel too freaked out to speak just now. Will hide here at my desk until i can compose myself/it passes/it gets so bad i have to leave

ScrambledSmegs Wed 04-Jun-14 12:19:58

Have you been prescribed triptans before? If so, can you nip out to a chemist and buy some Imigran over the counter?

Otherwise, strongest painkillers you have. Water. Limit your use of computer. Try not to strain your eyes on small details.

By the way, are your migraines linked to your menstrual cycle? Mine are, and I've found that taking a high dose B vitamin (think it's 12) limits the frequency and severity of migraines significantly. Might not work for all. Worth discussing with your GP?

havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:20:16

Oh yes thanks..will try a coffee and sugar

Chocotrekkie Wed 04-Jun-14 12:22:04

Lucozade and migraleve. Have lunch.. Plenty of water.

Just be careful if your driving later if it makes you drowsy/fuzzy.

havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:24:14

What's triptans?

ScrambledSmegs Wed 04-Jun-14 12:30:07

Triptans are a class of drug used to treat migraines, they're prescription only but you can get Imigran for loads of money OTC if you've been prescribed Sumatriptan or similar. It's very helpful when you've run out or forgotten to bring your medication with you.

Although if you're going to be prescribed beta-blockers it sounds like your migraines are linked to something else?

moonbells Wed 04-Jun-14 12:31:08

Sumatriptan is the most commonly-available one, under the name of Imigran. They work fantastically for me; I keep a couple with me all the time. You can buy them OTC at about £8 for two, if you get them from the GP it'll be 6 for a prescription so rather cheaper.

They take about an hour to work, but then it's gone.

moonbells Wed 04-Jun-14 12:31:34

crosspost! grin

havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:34:05

scramles no not linked...i don't think anyone knows why BBs work apparently. But ive gone straight from paracetamol to BB. Might go back to rubbish gp and ask for what you lot have..

havenever Wed 04-Jun-14 12:56:28

Headache sounds lame. Shall i just tell them its a migraine?

i really need to go home

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 04-Jun-14 12:57:57

I would just tell them and go home. Hope you feel better soon.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Wed 04-Jun-14 12:58:23

Would tell them it's a migraine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now