Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would I be mad to drive into central London tomorrow evening?

(48 Posts)
ShevelKnievel Wed 04-Jun-14 11:15:17

I am a country mouse

I need to attend an event in Faringdon at 6.30

If I catch a train it'll be a half hour drive to the station, an hour on the train, then the underground. The train costs £55

Google maps tell me it's a 2 hr drive. it'll cost less in petrol. I believe I won't have to pay the congestion charge after 6. Is parking easy / very expensive?

limitedperiodonly Sat 07-Jun-14 15:17:21

I was thinking: 'It'll be Sunday. What's everyone going on about?' Good job I read to the end and noticed that you meant Friday evening before I waded in and looked like an idiot. I so nearly did blush.

OddFodd Sat 07-Jun-14 14:53:54

grin

ShevelKnievel Sat 07-Jun-14 14:19:28

I took the train. £37 for that, £9 parking plus the tube. But I was on time and there were road closures all around the venue and it was very busy with people lolling outside bars enjoying the sunshine and nowhere obvious to park so I grudgingly agree it was probs my less stressful

What did you decide OP? Did you get there on time?

ShevelKnievel Wed 04-Jun-14 12:41:57

Fab suggestions, thank you all

I'm going to a meeting now but will consider my options later - I'll let you know what I decide and just how late I end up being grin

museumum Wed 04-Jun-14 12:25:24

Oranges said what I was going to say - drive to somewhere on the overground to farringdon if possible.. depends where you live but west hampstead in the north or herne hill in the south... or hammersmith and take the hammersmith and city line if you live west...

joydivisionovengloves Wed 04-Jun-14 12:16:29

Go in on the M40 instead of the M4 and park at South Ruislip or Ruislip Gardens. Free or cheap parking right next to both.

dinkystinky Wed 04-Jun-14 12:10:44

Farringdon is where I work - its a mare to park and from 8 onwards most of the roads are taken up with lorries for the meat market and no single yellow lines near there to park on (and lots of traffic wardens about)

I'd suggest a Thameslink train in

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Wed 04-Jun-14 12:07:00

(...or the Slough suggestion, which is a good one...)

Runningforfun Wed 04-Jun-14 12:06:38

I drive in all the time. What I would suggest M4 permitting is to drive to around Marylebone/ Baker street station (parking is £2.20 per hour up to 6.30pm) then tube it from Baker street. I park in Harewood Row or Dorset Square or around that sort of area.

TheIronGnome Wed 04-Jun-14 12:06:02

I live and drive regularly in london, I would get the train at least some of the way. Definitely.

Stokey Wed 04-Jun-14 12:05:14

I've parked in Farringdon in the evenings before but normally a bit later. There tend to be quite a few spaces at the south end of St John Street (south of Clerkenwell Road) after 7. Am not sure what time the free parking starts but there are a lot of single yellows down there and on the side streets off it. That said still a bit of a 'mare getting in from the M4. I'd probably go north up to th westway and come in along Pentonville road. HTH

TortoiseUpATreeAgain Wed 04-Jun-14 12:04:57

Are you coming from south or north of the M4? If the latter I'd be inclined to park somewhere near the outer Metropolitan line stations (Amersham, Chorleywood, Uxbridge, Pinner etc.) (being careful not to block anyone's drive grin) and then get the Tube directly into Farringdon.

It would be about 50 minutes-an hour on the tube from Uxbridge, but the cost would be reasonable and the practicalities at the Farringdon end would be easy.

OddFodd Wed 04-Jun-14 12:00:57

It would take you well over an hour to get from the M4 to Farringdon. It will be stressful, you will get lost and you'll have a horrible time. I drive in London all the time and I still wouldn't do it.

I would go with the park at Slough station suggestion.

I agree with BristolRover, the M4 is bloody awful that time of night. I live in Maidenhead now and I would never drive to Farringdon except at the weekend (and even then I would avoid certain times).
Either park at Slough (or Maidenhead!) and take the train to Paddington (then very easy tube round to Farringdon), or park near Northolt tube and get the central line to Chancery Lane, you can walk to Farringdon in a few minutes from there - I don't know personally where to park at Northolt, but my friend in High Wycombe always does this when going in to London.

HortenMarket Wed 04-Jun-14 11:57:09

Google maps may say 2 hours but it will absolutely definitely be longer than that. Guaranteed.

AreYouFeelingLucky Wed 04-Jun-14 11:57:06

It'd be crazy.

There's an England game, isn't there? So that will mean the ours are crazy.

It's right at rush hour, too. London doesn't calm until 8pm.

It'll take at least four hours, I reckon. Doubling the Google maps time is a safe way to estimate London costs.

plantsitter Wed 04-Jun-14 11:52:44

I wouldn't if you don't want to get stuck in traffic and need to be on time. I really wouldn't.

OldBeanbagz Wed 04-Jun-14 11:48:18

The M4 will be a nightmare but if you do want to drive i would suggest parking somewhere like Westfield (Shepherds Bush) and getting the tube for the rest of your journey.

Don't believe Google for route planning either. I find TomTom works a lot better as you can specify the day & time you want to travel.

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:43:26

...and block their drive.

(for no other reason than to supply another MN thread about it)

BristolRover Wed 04-Jun-14 11:43:24

(park at SLough, get train from there to Paddington in 20 mins, then pink line tube to Farringdon)

BristolRover Wed 04-Jun-14 11:42:45

M4 into London is HIDEOUS at 5ish, don't risk it.

LightastheBreeze Wed 04-Jun-14 11:42:11

Drive to somewhere on Northern line and park outside someones house on naice housing estate in somewhere like Hendon or somewhere similar depending where you're coming from, check its not residents only parking, and get tube in.

We always do this. grin

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:40:38

M4 you're coming in with all the Heathrow traffic and that's a nightmare any time of day. Plus Hammersmith is always a traffic black spot.

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 04-Jun-14 11:38:20

Coming from the M4 I would aim for one of the tube stations on the western end of the Metropolitan line and then get the tube that runs direct to Farringdon from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now