Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would I be mad to drive into central London tomorrow evening?

(48 Posts)
ShevelKnievel Wed 04-Jun-14 11:15:17

I am a country mouse

I need to attend an event in Faringdon at 6.30

If I catch a train it'll be a half hour drive to the station, an hour on the train, then the underground. The train costs £55

Google maps tell me it's a 2 hr drive. it'll cost less in petrol. I believe I won't have to pay the congestion charge after 6. Is parking easy / very expensive?

Hmm. Well you'll be going in the opposite direction to the rush hour traffic generally speaking. But could still easily get caught up in it, particularly if you have to cross the Thames at some point.

Plus, if you're not used to driving round London it'll be a bit hair-raising unless you're a supremely confident soul.

Plus, in the City (where Farringdon is) as opposed to the West End it is very difficult to park, even after 6.30.

I'd go on the train if I were you.

Oh and to answer the question about the costs of parking - you would only have to pay until 6.30 as it's free after that. So it's not going to be more than £5 probably. It's finding spaces that is the difficult thing.

Pooka Wed 04-Jun-14 11:24:53

Train!

If you really are a country mouse then it would be madness.

fusspot66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:25:28

Drive into the London area to where you can get a local train/underground train.
Ie diy park n ride

WowOoo Wed 04-Jun-14 11:26:09

For ease and peace of mind I also would take the train if I were you.

Unless you know where you are going, where the cheapest parking is and can predict the traffic on your routes it seems like too much stress.

Far easier to navigate public transport and you can chill a bit with a book or your iPod.

NigellasDealer Wed 04-Jun-14 11:26:18

I would take the train speaking as a country driver who has driven into London a few times - (and I know the roads/routes really well) - it is a nightmare for parking and you will be sat in a traffic jam with kamikaze cyclists on either side of you.... and any polite country ways you might have will be spat on, spat on I tell you

Also, depending on what side you're coming from, you are likely to have to be in a congestion charge zone before 6pm. Indeed I don't see how you can avoid it if you need to give yourself time to get there, find a parking space and walk to the venue before 6.30.

Pooka Wed 04-Jun-14 11:26:28

Might it take longer than 30mins to get from edge of congestion charge zone to the venue , including parking?

BristolRover Wed 04-Jun-14 11:26:28

whereabouts are you going ?Mayfair is normally good for parking if you get there v close to 6.30 when controls end, but just about anywhere else is very difficult, often still controlled until 10pm and car parks are ruinously £££

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 04-Jun-14 11:27:16

Where are you coming from? Could you drive to the outer reaches of the Northern line and get the tube in? Driving into the City is horrific, parking spaces are like hen's teeth and more expensive than diamonds and no matter what your route planner says, it'll take twice as long (at least.)

The traffic could be terrible at that time and parking is very expensive (There's an NCP in Farringdon - £17.30 for 2-4 hours).

An option would be to park near a station on one of the train/tube lines that go through Farringdon and catch the train from there, but I'd just take the train, tbh.

Park and ride is a good idea though.

ShevelKnievel Wed 04-Jun-14 11:27:55

I'm fine driving, it's not that bit that worries me. It's the not finding somewhere to park or getting stuck on awful traffic

Bugger. Trains are shit and expensive and inconvenient

idontlikealdi Wed 04-Jun-14 11:28:12

definitely the train.

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:28:54

I drive in central London all the time and wouldn't recommend it.

The city area is awash with one way streets and you're likely to get very lost if you don't know your routes - satnav not much use in the city.

You can't park on a single yellow until after 6.30 and there aren't many of them to be had.

Train will make life a lot less stressful

ShevelKnievel Wed 04-Jun-14 11:29:39

I'd be coming along the m4 and then ummmm into London

ajandjjmum Wed 04-Jun-14 11:30:29

I think drive to the outskirts, park and get a direct tube link is a great idea!

BrianTheMole Wed 04-Jun-14 11:31:00

Can you park outside somewhere and get the tube in?

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:31:02

if you're determined to drive you'll need to identify a car park near the area and not rely on street parking.

night time tariffs kick in at around 6pm, so you'd be looking at about £12-15 parking

oranges Wed 04-Jun-14 11:31:30

where are you coming in from. There are overland trains into Farrington. Maybe drive to a further station on those lines, park and get the train in?

HercShipwright Wed 04-Jun-14 11:36:41

I'm sitting but a stonesthrow from Farringdon right now (in an office natch). You really can't park round here. It's a complete nightmare. Plus, driving in from the M4 side? During the rush hour? Hideous. Don't even think about it. The train is most definitely your best bet.

TheOriginalWinkly Wed 04-Jun-14 11:38:20

Coming from the M4 I would aim for one of the tube stations on the western end of the Metropolitan line and then get the tube that runs direct to Farringdon from there.

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 11:40:38

M4 you're coming in with all the Heathrow traffic and that's a nightmare any time of day. Plus Hammersmith is always a traffic black spot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now