Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How long does it take you to make a lasagne?

(61 Posts)

Including chopping, frying mince, simmering, making a bechamel sauce, assembling the lasagne, no shortcuts allowed like pre chopped onions or garlic!

Genuine reason for asking smile

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Jun-14 08:32:33

To make
Tom sauce
Cheese sauce
Fry up mince etc
Assemble
Wash up

Probably no less than an hour

I am timing myself. Am not including time for simmering etc or for baking, just for actual prep ........

Mintyy Wed 04-Jun-14 08:36:56

2 hours

About an hour I reckon before going in the oven.

erm - ball park, I'd say 2hrs...
Although I like to let the ragu sauce cook down for a good hour.. so usually make this the day before I need it, as it benefits from sitting for a while.

What's the reason ?

CrystalDeCanter Wed 04-Jun-14 08:39:24

Bloody aaaaaages, and all the bloody washing up afterwards.

I do a roast veggie one with a long old simmer on the sauce.

If it wasn't so delicious I wouldn't bother.

Fishandjam Wed 04-Jun-14 08:40:48

Made properly from scratch, fucking ages. (That's with a meat sauce.) Say 1-1.5 hours prep and cooking time for the meat and cheese sauces, plus 45 mins in the oven? I usually make the meat sauce on another day and fridge or freeze it until needed.

Veg sauce takes less time but I'd still make it separately. (Don't really have time or inclination to hang round the kitchen for ages!)

TheTerribleBaroness Wed 04-Jun-14 08:41:10

About 45 mins if using Quorn or soya mince. Longer if using meat, so about an hour. That doesn't include it cooking in the oven, which is when I'll make the salad and open the wine.

TheTerribleBaroness Wed 04-Jun-14 08:42:35

I agree with the posters who prefer making the tomato and meat sauce the day before!

Fevertree Wed 04-Jun-14 08:45:31

Probably 2 hours start to going in the oven. Like pp I like a slow cooked sauce but usually make it a day or so in advance.

BikeRunSki Wed 04-Jun-14 08:45:41

Am I missing the World Lasagna Speed Record attempt today?

Fevertree Wed 04-Jun-14 08:46:45

Ooh Crystal, can I have your recipe please? I have been looking for a good one x

BeckAndCall Wed 04-Jun-14 08:48:26

I can do it in 30 mins but using a shop bought tomato sauce.

The only way you can do it that quickly is if you are stirring the white sauce at the same time as adding ingredients to the mince mixture - need two things on the go at once.....

This is why I don't make lasagne. Too bloody long, CBA.

rhubarbcrumbleplease Wed 04-Jun-14 08:50:33

Over 2 hours. I make the pasta & let it rest while I make the ragu. That simmers for at least an hour then I assemble.
30 mins clearing away spilt flour, picking grated cheese off the floor, washing up.
Then it's all eaten in 10 minutes. I can see why people buy ready meals.

grin. No lasagne speed record!!! Will explain later. Am out with the dog now whilst my ragu sauce simmers

beanynamechange Wed 04-Jun-14 08:54:08

Probably about 30mins, although I used to work in a catering environment and am pretty speedy and good at multitasking! I'm intrigued as to what some of you are doing that's taking quadruple what I do.... Does it make it better? I need this information, I love a lasagne!!

TobyLerone Wed 04-Jun-14 08:57:36

Between 30 mins and an hour. I wouldn't make the meat sauce the day before because that would mean I couldn't reheat any leftovers.

splendide Wed 04-Jun-14 09:00:40

Actual work time about 30 mins, less maybe? I simmer for as long as I can be bothered with the meat bit. I've never made my own pasta though that would add a bit!

How does a shop bought tomato sauce save any time? I just dump a tin of toms into the mince, onion, carrot. What does the shop one have in it?

Mintyy Wed 04-Jun-14 09:18:41

I posted 2 hours because that's how long (minimum) before the lasagne goes in the oven. I'd rather the meat ragu simmered for longer than that tbh. But I cross posted with op's subsequent instruction NOT to count simmering time. That's why I said 2 hours. Hth. And now I really must do something interesting with my day.

CrystalDeCanter Wed 04-Jun-14 09:26:12

Fevertree I base it on this one of Delia's. I sort of adapt it ie no aubergene, I just tend to roast whatever veg I have in the fridge, courgettes, toms, onions, carrots, etc the make a nice meaty ragu and a cheesy sauce. The roast vegs make it taste lovely (at least I think so, it makes the kids cry and and they pick out the veg hmm).

MrsJohnDeere Wed 04-Jun-14 09:35:50

Hours and hours which is why I rarely bother

I'd simmer the meat for at least 1.5 hours

Nancy66 Wed 04-Jun-14 09:37:20

what seems like half a bloody day, which is why I make about two a year.

Thanks everyone. I didn't mean to be mysterious and it's not World Lasagne Day grin

I have been asked by an acquaintance to help to do some cooking. Her daughter is getting married and she has lots of family to stay for a few days and wants me to make some basic dishes which can be easily heated and served. I have agreed in principle but although I am a good home cook and in my previous job, I did some cooking, I have no catering experience.

I am thinking about what to charge. Obviously ingredients and fuel costs but in terms of time. I have undertaken small catering challenges before and have always undercharged and ended up basically working for nothing. It probably wasn't a good idea to agree to the cooking in the first place (I won't be serving and clearing up which is what the acquaintance also asked me to do confused) but it's done now and I want to make at least a small profit. I'm doing a test run this morning!!

So far it's taken about 30 min to prepare the ragu and will probably take another 30 to make the bechamel sauce and to assemble. Then 5 to clear up. Do I count shopping for ingredients when costing?

Thanks for the input. Very useful smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now