Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What was your first experience of a horror film/book as a youngster?

(112 Posts)
Timeisawastin Tue 03-Jun-14 19:24:03

Someone on a thread the other day mentioned a film that teenagers might watch if they had the opportunity (The Human Centipede - don't, I implore you, look it up). Obviously, I looked it up and amidst my yelps of Ewwwwwww my 2 teenagers (15 and 17) both told me that knew all about, but neither had seen it. I confess that I was shocked as I had no idea that it even existed (wish I still hadn't).

I remember at school in the 80s hearing people talk about 'Rats' by James Herbert as being truly terrible, and the horror film I remember most discussed was 'Nightmare on Elm Street'. When I did finally get round to reading/seeing them, they were awful and I'm very glad I didn't get the opportunity when I was 15.

What do you remember as being your first experience of a 'real' horror?

WolfMoon Tue 03-Jun-14 19:26:57

The Fog, watched on a video tape at a sleepover when I was about 10. It was built up in our minds so much that in the scene where all the car alarms go off, we HOWLED with laughter at it breaking the tension and the ridiculous-ness of it. Never been scared by a horror film since grin

mumtosome61 Tue 03-Jun-14 19:27:19

I was 12 and round a friend's - her mother was watching Silence of the Lambs on VHS. I remember casually pretending I wasn't bothered by the gore in the "library" scene and then had nightmares for a week afterwards. It became one of my favourite films in my late teens.

My Dad used to take our cable card out of the machine when my friends slept over - I was a delicate flower grin

MaidOfStars Tue 03-Jun-14 19:28:24

The Birds (Hitchcock). Would add that it was some 20 years after its release. By 7 or 8, I was devouring Stephen King. I think Cujo was my first, although that one never scared me. The clown from It, rendered on film calling from a drain, scared me lots.

NeitherTheChimeNorThePlace Tue 03-Jun-14 19:33:59

A Nightmare on Elm Street. I can't remember my exact age, I think around 8/9 but I remember every night for about a year being petrified to go to sleep. I actually started wetting the bed blush I don't know which adult in my life let me watch it.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 03-Jun-14 19:34:43

I accidentally saw Poltergeist when I was about 4 or so. Have never seen it since although have been told its pretty tame.

Most memorable 'scary' film was about a train that went through a house every night, was full of dead people and eventually picked up the resident of the house. I don't think I was older than 2 or 3, parents were wwatching it while I was 'asleep'. I think I had climbed into their bed unable to sleep and they didn't turn it off. Don't suppose either expected the nightmares.

ClashCityRocker Tue 03-Jun-14 19:42:59

Oh, I had an older brother who frequently had babysitting duties and not a great sense of responsibility, so I think I was pretty immune to it all at an early age. First one I remember was The Evil Dead, proper petrified me and I remember being terrified of walks in the wood for ages afterwards.

starsandunicorns Tue 03-Jun-14 19:45:22

The film Halloween at 15 around a mates house with loads of others mostly behind a cushion still can't watch it

ClashCityRocker Tue 03-Jun-14 19:46:11

Not horror, but my brother also found my dads 'special' drawer and the videotapes.

Yep, my first introduction to sex was 'cum-hungry blondes' at six, watched rather agog with my twelve year old brother while my parents were working. To be fair, I think my brother was just as shocked as I was!

kinkymouse Tue 03-Jun-14 19:54:05

I read Stephen kings amityville at 13 just after we had moved to an isolated house on a hill. It terrified me and the house layout meant that I had to go down stairs then up a second set to another second floor to the loo. I could hear my heartbeat if I needed to go through the night.

Oooh snap - James Herbert's Rats was the first horror book I remember reading - I would have been about 10 at the time blush I don't think I asked, I just helped myself from my parents bookshelves. I very quickly worked my way through the rest of the James Herbert ones they had (next one was The Fog iirc) and then all the Stephen King.

I avoided horror films as I'm a wuss and was traumatised enough by Jaws to not try anything scarier. First one I watched semi-willingly was a bootleg of The Evil Dead when I was about 15 (so around '86) and that cemented my absolute need to hide behind cushions/boyfriends/walls when watching anything with zombies in. I love them, but they scare the bejeezus out of me at the same time.

DS2(14) is obsessed with zombies despite never actually being allowed to watch anything with them in apart from Warm Bodies and Shaun of the Dead.

MyNameIsSuz Tue 03-Jun-14 19:59:41

Nightmare on Elm Street for me too! My neighbour (older than me, I didn't want to look like a baby) let me watch it. I must have been about seven or eight. Just like Neither, I was terrified of going to bed for probably years after that! It was the fact that you couldn't hide from the scary under your bed covers, because Freddie Kruger might be under there too, there was nowhere to hide.

Many years ago (in fact in the mid 1970s) I saw "The Cat and the Canary" (Bob Hope film, I've watched it since. The eyes behind the portrait and the hand in the fireplace freaked me out)

Then when I was 17, The Exorcist (it was banned on video but my cousin had a copy ) .

PortofinoRevisited Tue 03-Jun-14 20:07:37

The Hills Have Eyes - aged about 13 <<shudder>> Poltergeist still gives me the heeby geebies now, and I am 45. I wouldn't watch it alone in the house. Ditto Close Encounters or The Omen.

Timeisawastin Tue 03-Jun-14 20:10:37

Wonder how many people will have bad dreams tonight!

QueenFuri Tue 03-Jun-14 20:10:41

I watched IT when I was around 5. Scared the bejesus out me, 23 years later I'm still terrified of clowns and the dark <shudder>.

I can't watch horror films now even through I went through a phase of loving them as a teen.

I accidentally saw the Thriller video at my aunt and uncle's house when I was 4. I'm 32 now and I still can't watch it. The bit at the end where he turns around and his eyes are yellow still utterly terrifies me.

homework Tue 03-Jun-14 20:12:31

Watching the old hammer house of horrors , they where black and white maybe because that was the TV set we had , at about eight I think , use to take dog upstairs afterwards to check under my bed.
Think they be pretty tame these days .

Timeisawastin Tue 03-Jun-14 20:14:32

I can remember right back to being a small child and there being a Dr Seuss book read out to the class - shudder -, the nasty horrible book then sat on a shelf in full view for ages. I still hate Dr Seuss and I never, ever read it the books to my kids.

susiedaisy Tue 03-Jun-14 20:16:06

Nightmare on Elm street I was 14 and staying over at a friends house. It scared me for months afterwards.

misstiredbuthappy Tue 03-Jun-14 20:18:47

American werewolf in London ... my mum thought I would he okay I was 11 ! I shit myself an thouht it would be a good idea to let the dog sleep in my room... untill the dog did a big stretch and did a funny howl at 1am !. Stil think about werewolfs whrn theres a full moon im 25

When I was 12 me and my bestfriend skived of school and watched The Excorsist ! Scared me for life.

Fathertedfan Tue 03-Jun-14 20:20:34

I saw Poltergeist when I was in junior school. Was terrified of televisions that had just been turned off for at least ten years after, as I expected a voice to come out of the white dot in the middle. Still a bit scared now.

BelleateSebastian Tue 03-Jun-14 20:22:08

James Herbert and Stephen King books at the age of 9ish! I wouldn't let me dc's read them I don't think but they didnt do my any harm matter of opinion

A friends Mum older sister let us watch The Exorcist athe age of 13 - that terrified me sad

Timeisawastin Tue 03-Jun-14 20:22:15

You'll be fine Fathertedfan (just don't go into the light)shock

Timeisawastin Tue 03-Jun-14 20:23:45

I still haven't been able to watch the Exorcist, even at almost 45. I did go to the cinema to see 'Nightmare on Elm Street' but I walked out about halfway through it. I don't think I've ever watched an 18 film all the way through. Guess I'm not old enough yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now