Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Anyone else wishing they'd never seen a fecking loom band?!

(361 Posts)
WyrdByrd Sun 01-Jun-14 16:25:58

My 9yo DD appears to have regressed to a stroppy toddler because of the bloody things.

She's been begging me to do them with her, now I am she's having a wobbly that I'm able to get the hang of some designs quicker then her (I'm only learning how to do them so I can help her out because she's asked me to) confused.

We've been at the GP's this afternoon and had two meltdowns - I think my mum's getting a taste of what it would have been like to have had more than one child.

Aaaargh!!!

vjg13 Sun 01-Jun-14 16:28:11

They are like Crack for kids, my daughter is obsessed!

MILLYmo0se Sun 01-Jun-14 16:29:25

We only began this adventure (torture ?) today . Several meltdowns later calm has been restored after we abandoned the loom - bought it in a cheapy shop and it seems to be back to front - and she is making them on her fingers . She's only 5 and happy with the basic version for the minute thankfully ! I am still in my dressing gown because by time I'd finished you-tubing 'how to' videos and trying to work the stupid loom it wasn't really worth getting dressed !

I had the biggest tantrum last week when DD asked me to follow youtube and make a starburst angry

elfycat Sun 01-Jun-14 16:30:49

DD1 (5) has seen one. She wants one.

She is never having one and she and her younger sister will leave bands all over the house to jam up to hoover.

She can learn to crochet or help me finish off the pompoms for her own homework

Ichneesanshee Sun 01-Jun-14 16:31:21

My boys are into this and I seem to spend all my time picking up dratted bands from all over the house. We've had many strops with them too, until one of their friends taught them (and me) how to make them!

Nocomet Sun 01-Jun-14 16:31:23

And we are out if band with, loom YouTube vidios have not helped.

www.rainbowloom.com/instructions - has lots of videos ranging from easy to challenging. DD (10) started slowly but is now getting better and better and today did the totem pole bracelet and the holiday bracelet totally unaided. At the start I had to help her when she went wrong and to finish it off/get it off the loom for her, etc

I have made a few myself, its quite therapeutic

WyrdByrd Sun 01-Jun-14 17:13:03

That looks great Powerhoop! I love it but it's turned DD into a banshee!

She's been trying to make an Illusion bracelet all day but struggling with having to triple loop a band and then pull another one through.

She'd done about 2 inches of one but decided she didn't like the colour so unpicked and started again but completely lost her mojo. In the meantime I managed to make one and she had an absolute meltdown - didn't have the patience to keep trying to make hers, didn't want me to help, if I showed her how to do it I was making it look too easy, in the end I was forbidden from making any more until she caught up!

We have mastered basic bands, fishtails, chevrons, diamond bands, flower rings and the Illusions (but probably best not to mention that one)!

Have ordered some more bits on Amazon & eBay but think I will be raiding her storage box and making them of an evening when she's asleep from now on.

WyrdByrd Sun 01-Jun-14 17:14:22

DD wants to do a starburst next Pickled - should I stock up on the wine/valium first?

Starburst is the work of the devil. Fact. angry

MandarinCheesecake Sun 01-Jun-14 18:42:56

Ooh I found the starburst quite easy but it did take dd a while to master it, but she can do it now when she finally realised that slow and steady is the way to go.
Problem with dd was that she was trying to run before she could walk and she threw a several hissy fits !

The only thing that gets my goat is picking the fecking things up off the floor, she cant seem to contain the bloody things and they end up all over the house and garden!!!

The link above gives easy step by step instructions for a starburst bracelet.

MyrtleDove Sun 01-Jun-14 18:48:48

<has no DC> Never seen a loom band or heard of them before MN grin

MissMogwi Sun 01-Jun-14 18:49:24

DD2 has just had a strop as she can only do fishtails not the other basic way. I haven't got a bloody clue, I'm worse than useless at anything crafty.

DD1 however, is churning them out at a rate of knots. Her tutorial for DD2 didn't end well...sigh.

Are these the neon elastics that my niece has wound round her wrists? She has a box with about 4 squillion of the little buggers in?

sounds like it

loomlove.com/fishtail/ - shows how to do a fishtail

loomlove.com/make-inverted-fishtail/ - also an easy one to do

LtEveDallas Sun 01-Jun-14 18:58:50

Oh, I mastered owls and bears yesterday but DD kicked off today because hers went wrong.

She's gone back to Hibiscus flowers instead and I've retreated into 'no, mums too busy' mode.

Warning: smug post / stealth boast grin

DDs got these for Christmas. I spent all of about 12 minutes on the things, then left them to it. They have a book, and of course YouTube and they have turned out some proper masterpieces. I wouldn't have the patience.

inthesark Sun 01-Jun-14 19:08:22

Ah, so that's what they're called/are. Now I know.

DD bought one at the market today (from a very enterprising small boy with his own mini stall) and told me that they are all the rage at school.

ForgiveMeFather Sun 01-Jun-14 19:11:05

Oh Lordy! Have just looked at instruction video shock shock shock

SO pleased I have teenagers grin

Walks away from thread whistling ....

peanutbear Sun 01-Jun-14 19:12:27

Oh dear I've bought these for Dd for her birthday tomorrow, I don't enjoy anything like this so I'm going to struggle
I thought it seemed to good to be true let's hope she finds it easy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now