Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What happens after you give birth?

(61 Posts)
pleasedontlaughatme Mon 26-May-14 15:32:13

Like, immediately after, obviously if everything has gone well. I want to have skin to skin, so they'll give me the baby straight away? How long before they're weighed and cleaned up? And when do you start bleeding?

tia!

gamerchick Mon 26-May-14 15:36:03

Well from back in my memory they deliver the baby and check baby over pretty much straight away to make sure breathing is ok and whatnot. You do get them back pretty quick though. You will have to deliver the placenta after the birth anyway.

And bleeding from the off.

deakymom Mon 26-May-14 15:39:47

yes you get given the baby straight away he/she gets whisked off for a quick finger and toe count wrapped in a blanket and returned to you

AtYourCervix Mon 26-May-14 15:41:06

Wait for a placenta. (Up to an hour if doing physioogical, if having active management with an injection 5-10 minutes)
Check if you need any stitches.
Stitch. (Half an hour ish)
BP and temp.

Baby skin to skin throughout if all ok. Feed while all the above is going on.

Weigh at some point before, during or after all that - back skin to skin afterwards. Vitamin k injection if you want it.

Tea. Toast.

Few hours later after baby has fed get up for a wee and shower.

Bleeding starts from birth . Don't wear new pyjamas and buy twice as many pads as you think you'll need.

AShadowStirsWithin Mon 26-May-14 15:45:29

Yes as above. Baby out of you and straight up onto your chest, they will wipe some of the gunk off while baby is laying on you and put at towel over baby to keep then warm. Some blood will come out with the baby, more with the placenta and will then continue. I remember being horrified after having DC1 that the mw delivered the placenta and then pressed a hand down on my stomach and what looked like a huge amount or blood came out. In reality it wasn't that much but labour is messy so that's something to bear in mind.

Also if you aren't good with blood you can say. I told the mw that I didn't want to see the placenta with both births and they made sure to whisk it away before I saw anything.

gamerchick Mon 26-May-14 15:50:21

I wanted a look me.. placentas are mint grin

AShadowStirsWithin Mon 26-May-14 15:53:56

Argh no, I don't know what it was I just came over all yuck about it. I watched both babies coming out, I saw all the blood, that didn't faze me at all. I think it was that the placenta looked too much like an organ, like I could be looking at my own kidney or liver or something. I dunno, maybe it was just gas and air craziness!

eosmum Mon 26-May-14 15:54:30

All as above, also be prepared for the longest wee of your life, I thought I was never going to stop, and it stung. Try in the shower if you can.

Hairylegs47 Mon 26-May-14 15:59:00

Yes to all the above, and you will continue to bleed for at least the next 4 weeks for sure. Sometimes longer. It's not like period blood either and it goes from red to brown after about a weekish, then it 'dribbles' on til it stops. Occasionally it goes bright red again - normally because you've thought you were back to normal (mother natures little pranks) or you can get little clots from time to time. If they are big ones, keep them and tell the MW so she can take a look.
Don't use tampons either, the big 'nappy' type pads were the best for me at the start, by week 4 normal pads were ok to use.
I wish I'd been told that, but no one did.
Oh and on day 2-3, your boobs will grow to the size of watermelons that squirt everywhere, but they go down after a few days too. If you are BF, they 'fill up' just before a feed, it's a bit of an odd sensation, again I was never told that either!
Good luck and welcome to the club!

Shonajay Mon 26-May-14 16:01:00

Yes, feeding helps the placenta come out too. I had my last at home and was feeding him before he was cleaned up and placenta was out.

Hairylegs47 Mon 26-May-14 16:01:58

Oh and don't put any nice bedding on your bed til the bleeding goes to dribbles.
I've ruined some lovely duvets and covers thinking it was ok to use my favourite only to wake in the night to a scene from the Godfather.

WonderingAllowed Mon 26-May-14 16:05:07

You are utterly amazed and overwhelmed with what has come out of you grin and will probably say 'wow, is that mine?'. I was still did that after my 4th birth!

You probably won't even notice the placenta coming out. I did not on any of mine.

cakesonatrain Mon 26-May-14 16:06:33

If in hospital they will want your first wee to be into a bowl thingy over the loo so they can check you're weeing ok.

OhMyActualDays Mon 26-May-14 16:07:32

I thought the placenta was amazing- the midwife said it was enormous and I felt ridiculously proud grin

ManchesterAunt Mon 26-May-14 16:08:05

Me - baby on chest for 2 hours. Delivered after birth, stitched up, sleep. Then pick baby up, wipe down, weighed, dressed them givem to DH

Mine were delivered onto my tummy. The cord was cut. The baby was whisked off for checking, weighing and a wipe. Then baby given back fro skin to skin and a bit of breastfeeding. Something was happening in the fanjo area (placenta being delivered, stitches being done). Room cleaned up and we were left alone with baby, a pot of tea and some toast. Then I had a shower while DH dressed the baby.
Eventually we all trundled off to the postnatal ward. Phone calls made. Eventually DH went home. I tried to sleep/feed. Felt a bit shellshocked.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 26-May-14 16:11:31

I had a forceps delivery, so I needed stitiching. I was also incredibly shaky from the epidural (prepped for csec incase forceps didnt work).

DH got the first hold and brought her to me but I couldnt hold her. He did the cord and they cleaned her up and he held her next to me while I was stitched.

He then took her to the revovery room while I got a bedbath (ot was a bloodbath!!). When I was wheeled into recovery dd was in her little plastic cot so I got her out and had her laid on me (still couldnt do anything as was rrally shaky).

WonderingAllowed Mon 26-May-14 16:12:05

You will want to hold the baby all night and will doze then wake with a start several times terrified that you have dropped him/her. Or be fighting to stay awake as you can't take your eyes of him/her and be swaying all over the place whilst holding onto them for dear life.

Or maybe that was just me grin.

reallywittyname Mon 26-May-14 16:19:15

I had a section. I wasn't really expecting it, despite it being in all the leaflets.

Dd was pulled out, shown to me, then I didn't see her for a bit while they put me back together, so she was with DH until I got to recovery, when they put her by my side and we snuggled up together and she had a go at feeding. It's all a bit hazy cos of the massive drugs they gave me. But they cleaned her up and checked her over while I was in theatre. I started bleeding straight away and I had a catheter. The nurses were great and I got to have a shower the next day (DD born mid-afternoon). The worst thing was not realizing I'd lost sensation in my bladder so I didn't realise I needed a wee. It was so painful I could hardly walk and took me about 15 minutes to pluck up the courage to"let go" but god the relief when I did!

GeorgeWinsor Mon 26-May-14 16:20:03

They seem to have a long(5hours) sleep after the first feed/nappy so make sure you get your head down no matter what time of day it is.

BoffinMum Mon 26-May-14 16:21:30

After a HB they give you the baby, unless you have already delivered it yourself, then you have a bit of a go at breastfeeding if you fancy it, and the midwife hangs around the rear end of operations waiting for the placenta to come out, which as people have said takes anything from 5 minutes to an hour or thereabouts. Then the mw cuts the cord and checks the placenta over very carefully indeed before wrapping it in tinfoil for disposal. Finally the mw looks at your bits, to see if repairs are needed. Your DH will hold the baby while you sort yourself out and (probably) have a shower, and they will all supervise you while you do that to make sure you don't faint, as occasionally that happens. Then someone will help you on with a clean nightie and night time bra/breastpads, and help you sort out some maternity pads and a comfy pair of pants. At some stage someone will also have cleaned the baby off a bit and weighed him/her and got him/her dressed as well, and you might have helped with that a bit. (Don't do what we did with No 4 and get the baby painstakingly dressed before remembering he needs to be weighed, duh). Then someone, probably the mw, will tuck you up in bed with the baby and a cup of tea whilst telling you how well you have done. Simples. BTW it's rare to sleep properly the first night, although you might doze.

Waffles80 Mon 26-May-14 16:51:21

I am being induced this time next week, so this has been really helpful - thank you!

ikeaismylocal Mon 26-May-14 17:03:39

Ds was born whilst I was sat on a birthing chair, they gave him to me, they wanted me to ( give birth?) to the placenta on the bed so I had to stand up and walk across the fairly big room holding ds and the placenta ( tge placenta was still attached) I then had skin to skin with him whilst the placenta was delivered, his cord was cut by dp when it stopped pulsating. I then held ds for a long time, he fed.

They didn't weigh him for a long time and they didn't clean him up, he came out looking clean but he was overdue so didn't have any of the white creamy stuff on him.

We then had sandwiches and tea and pretend champagne.

I then showered and tried to wee.

Then we went down to the aftercare place, I was in a wheelchair holding ds and I was convinced dp was going to crash!

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 26-May-14 17:17:23

For me once the babies were deemed well they were passed over for skin to skin as the placenta was dealt with

I was then stitched up at the same time my body went into shock I violently shook and then threw up which is apparently completely normal

Baby was weighed and handed back to dad while I was wheeled off for a blood bath and left to my own devices from there. I may have passed out getting out of the bath after one of mine so don't let them leave you to get out on your own!

Stock up on more pads than nappies and old knickers

Normalisavariantofcrazy Mon 26-May-14 17:20:20

Oh and beware of the first post birth poo especially if you've had stitches BUT don't leave it too long to have one either! The longer you leave it the worse it gets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now