Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

1st overnight hospital stay...advice.

(29 Posts)
ChestyNut Mon 26-May-14 15:01:10

Having an operation and been told may have to stay overnight sad

I've never stayed in before so what do I need to take to make it less crappy?

Don't want to take a huge bag incase it encourages them to make me stay grin

Also do people take their phone in? Where do you leave it when you go down to theatre?

Do I need to get anything for after when I'm home as 2 weeks off sick and not sure if ill feel ill?

BertieBotts Mon 26-May-14 15:06:07

You can take your phone. It's a good idea because it gives you something to do, especially if you have offline apps like kindle, games etc. You'll have a little drawer next to your bed where you can leave things which might be lockable.

You might not get mobile internet signal in the hospital, probably not for overnight, but for a longer stay it's worth paying for the bedside TV internet thing. It's slow and horrible - the mobile versions of sites work better than the normal versions.

It's nice to take your own pillow because hospital pillows are horrible and sweaty. And comfortable nightwear.

You will be shattered afterwards because you get no sleep, they keep low lights on and come around and do observations all night and if you're on a short term ward you've got people arriving at all times of the night too.

MiloSimpson Mon 26-May-14 15:15:21

Don't take anything valuable ie no jewelry or money. If you have to take money (for a cab back home for example) then hand it in to one of the nurses - it's supposed to be logged.

I always take bath/hand towels, lip balm, mini radio, headphones, eyemask, ear plugs, flip flops (as you can just bung them into the washing machine at home), zip up top (to wear over a night shirt in the day time), body spray and hand cream.

If you are taking a phone. remember a charger - I know you're only staying one night but I always packed for a slightly longer stay just in case. I'd also take a book or magazine.

Oh, I also take a small bottle of squash (dilute juice) with me. Again, I know you only have a short stay and won't be able to eat/drink prior to the operation but I simply got fed up of plain water.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 26-May-14 15:15:44

Diluting juice.
Hand gel.
Wipes.
Lip balm.
Salt if you add it to food.
Your own pillowcase and a cotton sheet or fleece
A nice mug.
Chocolate for after :D
Loose change.
Eye mask.
More clothes than you think.
Loose pyjamas or an oversized top incase you have a drip (perfectly normal after surgery)
A cuddly furrysome friend :D

I've always left my phone in my bedside locker - or the nursing staff can pop it in the Ward safe, depending on length of op.

MiloSimpson Mon 26-May-14 15:17:05

Re the bed side cabinet, it's great but I ended up simply leaving most of my things inside my (small) case. I simply locked that prior to going to theatre and at night. I know it sounds over the top but the Nurses specifically said that they'd had issues with things being stolen at that hospital.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 26-May-14 15:17:18

And slippers or crocs. Preferably ones that are closed toe and non slippery. Crocs are great for showering.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:18:43

Phone and charger
Wet wipes
anti bac gel
slippers
Squash
carrier bag for rubbish.
Magazine/crossword/ wordsearch
Nice hand cream,moisturiser, body spray.
EAR PLUGS - hospital is noisy
Change for the telly if you want it - I never do.

shouldnthavesaid Mon 26-May-14 15:19:25

Sanitary pads are good too. Every time I'm in I start my period despite not being due, and my hospital ration pads dependant on what you've had done. Last time they refused to supply beyond 12 hours post op.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:19:41

Oh and I always take a fleece blanket as it can get chilly at night especially if you've had an op, something weird happens to your temperature.

ChestyNut Mon 26-May-14 15:21:11

Am making notes smile

Thought the small robinsons squashed juice might be ok as small.

milo did you take a case for overnight stay? Or should I just take a bag?

Nerves are making me indescisive sad

Ward doesn't have a safe but I'd be lost without MN to occupy me grin

ChestyNut Mon 26-May-14 15:22:33

Do I need my own gel? I know most wards have it?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:27:25

Take it as there will be some at the bottom of the bed but you will want some on your bedside locker.

MiloSimpson Mon 26-May-14 15:28:19

I've been in a number of times and simply found a small suitcase the best option as everything could be locked away in one place. My case is hand luggage size/cabin crew size so only small but plenty of room for a hospital visit. I stored it up right next to my bed side locker.

If you feel that you'll get everything in to a holdall then that'll be fine. In all honesty, I haven't been in for one night for a long time, its always been for a minimum of 2.

Re the juice, I would decant some into a 100 mil travel bottle of you have any otherwise a normal squash bottle is fine.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:28:36

Take your phone, I always have with no problems. In fact the only time anything went missing was when I handed things in to the nurse to be kept safe!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:29:22

Plan for a longer stay and then you are pleasantly surprised if you get out early wink

Glasses case (if you wear glasses), light weight pj's, slippers croc style footwear, cardigan to wear over pjs in case you get cool, ear plugs, book and magazines, iPod and headphones, flannel and towel, any regular medication you take, toiletries, maybe an eye mask as they turn the lights on really early! Some nice snacky foods.

You may be hot or cold, depending on whether you are near a window or not; bored; tired, but unable to sleep due to the noise or light.

Hope it goes wellsmile

overthemill Mon 26-May-14 15:32:06

Soft tissues, hand cream (you dehydrate in hot hospitals!), nice juice in cartons, I take Nescafé latte sachets, books, magazines, earphones for tv so u can watch after 10 or whenever lights out is, fruit, wash stuff, flip flops to shower in, phone, phone charger, etc

MiloSimpson Mon 26-May-14 15:33:58

Did the hospital give you any notes regrading what to take with you ie I know some hospitals can, understandably be quite strict.

I've never wanted to break the rules as they are there for a reason however, I do want to be comfortable. So, I don't want to be dragging in a suitcase large enough to comfortably house a family of four but think that a small one is ok and it means I have everything I need.

Hushabyelullaby Mon 26-May-14 15:34:09

YY to Earplugs - essential if you don't sleep really heavily!

drinkyourmilk Mon 26-May-14 15:34:59

I take my wash bag, couple of pairs of pj's and undies. Slippers, kindle, phone and charger. Ear plugs and eye mask. Squash and a packet of crackers.
If I'm in for more than a night I take my crochet too.
Don't forget a list of medicines you take- prescription or otherwise.

ChestyNut Mon 26-May-14 15:39:03

No instructions milo just leave valuables at home as hospital not responsible, hence the phone worry? And to take in any tablets I'm on.

Thought I'd of got more info.

Glad I started thread as wouldn't have thought of half of this stuff! Presumed it was like holiday and you get towels provided grin

Have to take a dressing gown ( fleece in June, really hmm) so could double as a blanket.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 26-May-14 15:40:53

You'd be surprised how quickly you get used to the hot atmosphere and are glad of a fleece dressing gown grin

ChestyNut Mon 26-May-14 15:41:39

Crochet! Excellent milk smile

Have just been routing and found my virgin free pack from holiday last year....earplugs, eye mask, neck pillow and toothbrush grin

Anyone know if I will be able to wear earplugs after sinus surgery?

Shonajay Mon 26-May-14 15:44:06

Earplugs, iPad or books, and any medication you normally take should be in labelled boxes. Cosy socks, and maybe a blanket as they're usually short of those. Your own pillow. And your phone. I've been in hospital loads really, and none of the drawers have keys, so ask the nurses to put it in their safe for you (sticky labels are useful). Good luck x

MiloSimpson Mon 26-May-14 15:44:55

No problem. It's always great to ask if you're unsure.

You do get towels if you ask but they're v scratchy and small (wouldn't cover my arse anyway!) grin

As others have said, baby wipes and anti bac gel are essential. I hope it all works out ok. Ive always ended up with lovely people around me - Nurses and patients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now