Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Do you buy a new outfit for each wedding/special event?

(29 Posts)
Openup41 Mon 26-May-14 12:15:31

I attended a wedding a few weeks ago and accessorised my dress with spring colours. I have another wedding in November and am planning to wear same dress but with different colour jacket, bag, shoes and jewellery.

A few people saw my dress and will be at second wedding. I cannot justify buying another dress as money is tight.

Am hoping people will 'forget' what I wore.

storynanny2 Mon 26-May-14 12:18:34

Sounds very sensible. I am going to 2 weddings this summer and wearing exactly the same outfit to both and there will be a couple of guests at both. I can't afford to buy whole new outfits each time I have a wedding invite. In fact I think the only time I would buy a completely new outfit is if I was mother of the bride/groom and would have photos displayed at home.

whitepuddingsupper Mon 26-May-14 12:20:22

That's quite a long gap, I wouldn't buy a new dress as I doubt anyone will notice it's the same one, especially as you are likely to need a jacket, tights etc in november so the outfit will look different.

Openup41 Mon 26-May-14 12:41:50

I too thought it was a long enough gap.

Also there should be no shame in wearing an outfit more than once. Men do this all the time and nobody blinks!

As a teen I would buy a new dress each time I went clubbing - gone are those days!

GreenShadow Mon 26-May-14 12:49:36

Personally there is no way I would be buying a new outfit. I would also probably be wearing the same shoes, jacket and bag.

I probably wouldn't remember what other people had worn, unless it was something very distinctive so I don't think that many people would notice you and if so can't see why they would think it odd.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 26-May-14 12:53:36

You could always hire one from girl meets dress.

Thepaintedveil Mon 26-May-14 12:53:48

Yes I always buy something new to wear when I am going out. Its ridiculous as I have 2 wardrobes full of lovely clothes that have been worn once but I think I get it from my mum-she always wore or insisted we had something brand new to wear if it was a special occasion.

Openup41 Mon 26-May-14 12:57:54

I have some friends and acquaintances who are shopaholics. They look good ALL the time and have an endless wardrobe of clothes. They will buy shoes to match a particular dress and wear them only once.

I have a very modest wardrobe and sometimes feel a bit bland.

BackforGood Mon 26-May-14 13:03:15

No, of course not.

HemlockStarglimmer Mon 26-May-14 13:05:25

I take advantage of my shopoholic mother-in-law and raid her wardrobe when I have a wedding to go to. grin

I've borrowed the same outfit twice now because I really like it.

(It helps that she's less than twenty years older than me and I'm over fifty - if anyone is having palpitations about wearing MIL clothes gringrin)

specialsubject Mon 26-May-14 13:06:19

ditto - of course not.

wearing dresses only once is a ridiculous waste. Anyone who remembers what you wore the first time needs to spring-clean their head.

dexter73 Mon 26-May-14 13:12:57

I have 4 or 5 dresses that I wear to weddings/events in rotation. I can barely remember which dress I wore to the last do so I can't imagine anyone else can!

SinglePringle Mon 26-May-14 13:17:37

I too buy new outfits for each occasion - big or small - if it's a big 'do', then usually bag and shoes also. Not absolutely always but I would if the same people were going to be at the different events. But I adore buying clothes and probably buy something new every week.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Mon 26-May-14 13:20:54

I tend to buy a new outfit every time, but only because I usually go for a cheap dress that I can easily wear again.

I went to a wedding recently, my dress cost £25 from a catalogue, it was just a sundress in a flowery print. I rented a rather large red hat for £30 to make the outfit weddingy, and wore some shoes I already had. I received compliments all day!

And I can easily wear the same dress again with flip flops for a bbq or similar.

Most of the other guests had spent a lot more on outfits
that can't be "recycled" and will probably sit in their wardrobes for years.

TheTerribleBaroness Mon 26-May-14 13:25:58

No. I just reuse things I already have. My fascinator has been to three weddings already.

I think if you had a particularly striking outfit people might notice. There was a girl at a wedding recently with a stunning backless green and peacock patterned maxi dress. I would recognise that again but for the rest, it's all just a blur of jackets and hats.

Somepercentagenotcool Mon 26-May-14 13:43:20

If some of the same people were going to be at the wedding the yes I would buy a different outfit. However, I do think I am flattering myself to think that people actually remember or care what I wore to previous weddings so overall I don't think it really matters!

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 26-May-14 14:20:35

No I wouldn't but I tend not to buy clothes only to be worn once as it's a waste of resources and not good for the planet.

expatinscotland Mon 26-May-14 14:21:41

No one cares. Why buy another outfit? What a waste.

Openup41 Mon 26-May-14 14:23:42

My dress, although very nice is not in a bright colour or a show stopper. Once teamed with a blazer, it will look completely different.

If I had my way I would buy a different outfit but the dc are always growing and will definitely need new clothes.

fatlazymummy Mon 26-May-14 14:28:42

No, of course not. And I don't buy new accessories either.

SinglePringle Mon 26-May-14 14:29:38

How is it a waste?

I'll wear the clothes again just to different types of things - so the heels for work / down the pub. The dress to a lunch, bag used on a night out etc.

I just wouldn't wear the same combination of clothes and accessories to a wedding or similar again.

MrsDavidBowie Mon 26-May-14 14:33:58

I don't do special occasions!!!

specialsubject Mon 26-May-14 17:50:13

very unlikely that anyone will notice or care, OP. Clothes are not really that interesting to most people so wear the same kit again and enjoy.

with so many clothes made in sweatshops now, and the second-hand/charity shops stuffed full, I query whether anyone should be buying any new dresses.

eltsihT Mon 26-May-14 18:21:14

I wore the same dress to 4 weddings last year. In fact it was exactly the same outfit, but luckily not much crossover and I was bf so there was no way I was buying 4 bf dresses.

This year I have 2 wedding and am recycling 2 dresses from my pre pregnancy days (think 4 years ago) hope no one notices.

Coveredinweetabix Mon 26-May-14 19:05:02

Definitely wear the same dress again. My best bit of recycling was to wear the same dress to a wedding on the Saturday, Ladies' Day at Ascot during the week, another wedding on the Saturday and then Henley the following week :-) By that stage, I was thoroughly sick of it so didn't wear it again that year but wore it to Ladies' Day and a wedding the following summer and, after a 5yr gap during which I've been pregnant or bf pretty much continuously, will be wearing it to a wedding again next month.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now