Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone else feel worried/guilty when they ring in sick?

(23 Posts)
MoveYourArmsLikeHenry Mon 26-May-14 08:35:26

I've just had to call in sick with d and v, which I have caught off ds. My bosses are awful about ringing in sick and I was really considering just going in until I came to my senses.

I know I did the right thing but my bosses never see it that way, and I always end up worrying about what they will say to me when I return. I don't think my colleagues would appreciate me spreading d and v around. And as I work with young children I am sure their parents would prefer they don't catch it from someone who knowingly went in with it.

But I know I will just get told that I left my colleagues in the lurch hmm (not by them of course)

Does anyone else have managers like this? Do you sit and worry all day like me when you ring in sick?

BonjourMinou Mon 26-May-14 08:45:24

Ahhh poor you, Move. I used to work somewhere like that, so I know what you mean. But I eventually quit and got a better job where I was much happier. I hope you feel better. xxx flowers

Yes I do worry, before I call in sick I always arrange cover, call my direct manager ( shes lovely) then I call in so everythings covered so the store manager will have nothing to complain about. You know you are really unwell so don't worry.

I hope you're better soon x

Nonie241419 Mon 26-May-14 08:49:58

I'm a teacher, so if I phone in sick, it always causes a headache for cover at work. I always feel really guilty, even though I know being off is justified.

PetiteBateau Mon 26-May-14 08:51:18

Yes my employer is like that. I have only taken 3 days off sick in the last 12 months & tend to force myself to go in when I probably shouldn't

julieann42 Mon 26-May-14 08:52:13

I work in a hospital and my manager is most un sympathetic when you ring in sick, I think she thinks we are faking. I'm reality we don't take the piss. One day the senior sister rang in sick and the manager was so rude to her she had to ring back and apologise. We are nurses with many years of experience if we don't know when we a sick what hope is there! Makes me so mad

PitchSlapped Mon 26-May-14 08:53:08

Yeah I worry but my manager is lovely so she doesnt mind. I used to work in my companys callcentre and the head honcho would ring you up halfway through the day to make sure you were still sick

MoveYourArmsLikeHenry Mon 26-May-14 08:59:05

Wow what awful stories on here. I understand it is a nightmare when someone is sick that is why I feel so bad. Thing is, I know my colleagues will be fine for one day, we are not particularly busy on a Monday thankfully.

googoodolly Mon 26-May-14 09:02:41

I'm the same. 3% absence in a year and you get a disciplinary here, whether you're off for vomiting, a headache or you're signed off with depression. another two chances in a year, then you're onto your final warning, and if you're off sick again within the year, you're fired hmm

EyeMyrrhSlapHer Mon 26-May-14 09:04:59

Over the last 5 years we have implemented a system whereas staff can phone in saying they need a duvet day / are knackered / can't face it. We will always try to cover them and 99.9% of the time are able to cover (shift work - think social work)

We did this because of the very high sickness rate we were getting 5 years ago. This has been very successful and our sickness rates have dramatically reduced by 75%.

I HATE phoning in sick, even though my boss is lovely and a close friend.

vrtra Mon 26-May-14 09:27:49

My work are very good about sick days but I do feel very guilty and anxious about phoning in sick especially as it's a social enterprise and I feel like I should go the extra mile.

have not been off sick for ages, then last month I managed to catch 2 different viruses in the space of 3 weeks! Luckily only needed 1 day off for each, as the poorly feeling peaked and subsided quickly, but in a way I think it makes it worse as it makes it look like I was skiving even though I still have a cough from the 2nd streaming cold of this year (been to doctors, I am fine, coughs always linger with me!)

treaclesoda Mon 26-May-14 09:34:12

I'm a sahm but when I used to work the very act of having to ring in sick made me feel even more sick than I already was, my heart would pound and my legs would go shaky, even though I never in all my years there took a day off sick unless I truly was ill.

Thing is, they were just so awful about illness, HR said that as employees it was our responsibility to make sure that we didn't get ill hmm and they were very swift with disciplinary action. Including to staff who were off due to cancer, car accidents etc. It was mind blowing how they could be so callous.

Sicaq Mon 26-May-14 09:37:02

Bosses like this infuriate me. So short-sighted: do they really want the whole team (and their families) to come down with the same bug?

I had to ring in sick with d&v last week and I always feel guilty, but luckily my company are sensible about these things.

Jumblebee Mon 26-May-14 09:44:55

I once had the misfortune to have to phone in sick and the store manager answered.

I was in bed shivering one minute and freezing the next feeling like death warmed up and he told me that it was sale week and unacceptable for me to be phoning in, as I had phoned in sick due to a tooth abscess a few weeks earlier.

I had an emergency doctors appointment that day and it turned out I had tonsilitis. The doctor was so angry my manager had treated me like that (I was in tears after the phone call) and said if he gave me any more trouble tell him to call her and she would give him hell (she was a lovely, lovely doctor!)

I was so terrified of phoning in sick I dragged myself in the next day, ended up crying in the fitting room and being sent home by my manager after an hour!

I have always hated that stupid store manager for making me feel like a liar when I clearly wasn't! I still get the rage whenever I see him confused

Undertone Mon 26-May-14 09:52:31

We're a small company so one member of the team being off has an impact. When there's lots of work on, unless you're DYING you come in. Awful. So last week it's quiet at work and I felt a bit peaky so I took a sick day. Felt guilty but they've definitely had their pound of flesh off me, so the feeling passed.

Dragonlette Mon 26-May-14 10:00:40

My boss is absolutely fine with us calling in sick, he trusts us to know if we're not well enough to be in. I still feel guilty though because I know that I will set work for my classes to do which will be reasonably useful, but I then don't know which cover supervisors will be put on to take my classes and how much they will
a) read my instructions and give the correct work (the last time I was off one of them missed out the first half of the lesson and went straight in at the hardest bit - with my low ability class!),
b) be able to help with the maths (some of them are very good and could help anyone, others can't even help with level 4 work) or
c) make the pupils get on with some work (one cs in particular always seems to think that as long as the class haven't run riot then it's ok, never mind that most of them haven't done any work!)

StarDustInTheWind Mon 26-May-14 10:00:59

I work in a big store - there are only 3 of us on in the evening, so it makes a big impact if one - or heaven forfend 2 of us call in sick.. so yes, I would feel guilty too.

Only been there 2 years, and luckily haven't had to yet - I will now, won't I!!

SummerRain Mon 26-May-14 10:04:02

I don't ring in sick. I work in the type of job where someone not turning up makes everyone else's day longer and harder and cover is impossible to arrange at the last minute in most circumstances.

I'm not prone to the sort of d&v bug that would prevent me working and anything else I dose up on meds and drag my ass in. I usually feel better for being out of the house and moving anyway.

Most of the lads are the same, the last time one of my staff came in with a tummy bug he looked shocking, really pale and shaky. I told him to go out and rest in the car and I'd still give him his wages (we work at varying sites, he was relying on another staff member for transport.) but he refused, he didn't want to leave me a man down bless him.

MrsItsNoworNotatAll Mon 26-May-14 10:05:43

I HATE ringing in sick. The thought of doing it makes me feel worse than I already do. I have a new boss and I've already had to tell him I might not be going into work as I'm having minor surgery on my Toe on Wednesday and I'll have to wait and see how things are with it. I have to wear steel toe capped shoes so my Toe might be a bit sore. He seemed ok about it but we're a small team and we don't always get sent cover if one of us is off.

Hope you feel better soon x

BookFairy Mon 26-May-14 10:11:47

My manager is an absolute dick so calling in sick is very stressful. Why be unpleasant about it? We casework so it isn't really any skin off his nose anyway!

BookFairy Mon 26-May-14 10:11:59

My manager is an absolute dick so calling in sick is very stressful. Why be unpleasant about it? We casework so it isn't really any skin off his nose anyway!

Ludways Mon 26-May-14 10:35:16

I hate ringing in sick and stress about it terribly, once I've done it I then feel better as I feel relieved, I then feel guilty for ringing in sick as I don't actually feel as ill anymore, lol

EBearhug Mon 26-May-14 10:53:29

I feel guilty, too. Last time I did it, I went back to bed, intending to work from home for the afternoon at least, but I ended up sleeping till about 4pm. Rationally, I know that my body needed this to heal, and also, the stuff I had to do that day was already covered by others, but I still feel guilty, and I'm sure that the stress it causes doesn't actually help getting better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now