Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Phillips Lumea, anyone own one?

(21 Posts)
Rainicorn Sun 25-May-14 23:47:04

Is it good? Worth getting?

I have PCOS and over the past year my facial hair has started to look more beard like. I've been getting my lip waxed, but hurts like hell and I don't want to have to get my chin done. Shaving is not an option, it's causing acne and at 34, not a good luck.

So would anyone recommend this? The reviews I've read all look promising.

xaphania Sun 25-May-14 23:52:00

Yes! Had been amazing for my bikini line (I can finally buy a 'normal' swimsuit) and working on my legs and underarms. But - as far as I remember is not recommended for facial hair.

Read the small print before buying - it really works, but make sure it's right for what you need it for. It is pretty expensive!

Roshbegosh Sun 25-May-14 23:53:12

I haven't risked spending all that money on one because I don't want it to be another expensive gadget that doesn't do what it claims. I had laser I a salon and was pleased with it and I can't see how this is as effective. It isn't a laser for a start and the safety issues for an effective system wouldn't be ok for use by untrained people at home. I am not convinced but maybe other posters will know more.

Are you light skinned and dark haired, that is the best combination for laser. It doesn't work on light hair or dark skin but then the lumea isn't a laser anyway, just light.

Rainicorn Sun 25-May-14 23:57:36

Regular skinned and dark hair. Not light or dark skinned, I'm sort of in the middle. Apart from my lily white legs.

It is a lot of money to spend, but I cannot go on like this for the rest of my life. It's grim. My confidence is so low ATM, I'm avoiding people and hide my face when I speak.

Rainicorn Sun 25-May-14 23:58:21

Xaphania, the new version is designed for facial hair smile

xaphania Mon 26-May-14 00:04:58

In that case, go for it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's changed my life - but it has made me feel more confident in my body.

Yes, it's a lot of money, but for me (and I certainly do not have money to burn), worth every penny. Good luck.

Btw - it's not a quick fix, and you do need to shave the offending hair for it to work. But I promise - it does work.

wafflyversatile Mon 26-May-14 00:06:38

No idea if it's any good or not but I just saw this on groupon.

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/special/gg-ggg-19/39370124?p=5&nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_145&utm_source=channel_goods-deals&utm_medium=email&sid=b7be1bbe-47f6-44de-a3a0-ad5f56d74da0&division=national-deal&uh=9e8959d4-4a1f-457d-be86-84c491afaa51&date=20142505&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_img&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=gg-ggg-19-39370124

I've been wondering about buncing in with someone else for a Philips Lumia or similar so we could have time share grin as it is a lot of money just to find out that it doesn't work, or that even if it would work, it won't work if you leave it forgotten in a corner gathering dust!

Grokette Mon 26-May-14 00:06:59

Yep, it's very good! I am of strong Eastern European stock (read hairy as hell) with light/medium skin and it works very well. Having to shave first is annoying, but it's worth it to see how less often you have to do it over time, if you see what I mean.

I haven't found it to be permanent results, but that's probably just me and my hair's inexhaustible ability to cling to life, so I use mine every fortnight or so to keep things under control. They're definitely worth the money I think.

Oh, and it doesn't hurt. Maybe a tiny second of warmish discomfort, but compared to waxing or epilating it is absolutely nothing.

Rainicorn Mon 26-May-14 00:10:05

Thanks!

I think I will get one. I just need to part with my money now.

It's so unfair. DH is fair haired and can't grow a decent beard, mine would be better if I carry on sprouting hairs.

Suzannewithaplan Mon 26-May-14 00:23:27

I was skeptical about home IPL (I've had salon IPL) until I got the boots one, it's very good, I wish I'd gotten it ages ago I could have saved £££'s on salon treatments
I'd imagine the phillips is very similar and just as effective

Suzannewithaplan Mon 26-May-14 00:25:16

As with you OP the facial hair (& plucking of) was giving me spots.
All gone now smile

Primrose123 Mon 26-May-14 00:47:28

I've been looking at these recently, so finding this thread is very useful! I've read lots of good reviews about these and am very tempted to get one. I would use it and so would my two teenage DDs, so when I think of the cost of waxing or buying Veet for the three of us, it doesn't seem so expensive.

squoosh Mon 26-May-14 01:39:25

I'm saving my Boots points to get one! Still a way to go.

Rainicorn Mon 26-May-14 10:32:55

I've ordered one, will update you all when I've received it.

Ainmnua Tue 27-May-14 20:00:24

Really hope it works Rainicorn, I'm looking forward to hearing about it as I'm tempted to invest too.

Rosarosae Fri 30-May-14 06:56:12

But are the results permanent? And how long does it take to do a full leg? I am considering laser treatment, which I imagine will give better a better effect than the Lumea, but maybe I'm wrong?

Suzannewithaplan Fri 30-May-14 09:39:40

Salon treatment is longer lasting but costs considerably more and you have to factor in the time and inconvenience of getting to appointments vs doing it at home when it suits you.

SirRaymondClench Fri 30-May-14 09:43:40

Can't you get Groupon or Wowcher courses of 6 sessions (or something) for £30 at a clinic or similar? Wouldn't that be a way to go?
Or do they turn the machines down so low it doesn't work hmm

merlotguzzler Fri 30-May-14 10:47:47

I have the old one, ie the one which was more expensive, but does less angry

Having said that, it does work. It doesn't get me completely hair free, but I'd say it gets rid of 70% or so.

I have pale skin and dark hair, so it works best on people like me. Not sure if it's worth buying if you have fair hair and olive skin.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 30-May-14 10:50:17

Yes the tech on these things does seem to have improved significantly.

I predict more effective home beauty devices,lasers and the like.

Rainicorn Sun 29-Jun-14 23:04:19

As I said I would, let me update.

I have used the Lumea twice now. I've been zapping my top lip, chin, arm pits and big toes (because they are hobbit like). Before starting this, I was having to wax lip every week, shave chin 2-3 times a week, armpits2-3 times a week and toes once a week.

Didn't notice anything the first time I zapped, shaved as normal, waited two weeks as instructed and zapped again. I am due to zapp again tomorrow after the 14 day wait. I have not had to get lip waxed, there is no recogniseable growth there at all. Armpits, I've not shaved them and there is a only a small amount of stubble. Toes, tiny amount of stubble.

So so far I am pleased with the results. Going to do my legs from next week as they'll take a while to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now