Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Quick help please, 3yo dd being sick

(39 Posts)
PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 21:54:31

Just checking - poor dd age 3 has been fine all day, then at bedtime was sick. Had her on the sofa with me, she was sick again, fell asleep, but just woke and sick again.

Think she's emptied her stomach but just a bit unsure what to do with her tonight - put her in bed with me on a towel with bucket just in case?

Thanks smile

rubyslippers Sun 25-May-14 21:56:54

I would always sleep in the same room
As a child being sick

Get a towel under the sheet and over it plus a bowl

If she can sip water that's good

gamerchick Sun 25-May-14 21:57:30

Yes that's what I usually do.. I leave a little lamp on low so I can react quicker with the bowl during the night.

Hope she's on the mend soon.

Piratejones Sun 25-May-14 21:57:52

I'd sleep on the sofa with her tonight.

Nonie241419 Sun 25-May-14 21:57:54

I like to stay close to a sicky child, just in case they don't wake up if they're sick. Definitely lay her on a towel and keep a bowl and another towel close at hand. I usually make sure I have a drink of water available too, as they sometimes feel they need a drink.

Normalisavariantofcrazy Sun 25-May-14 21:58:07

What ruby said but if drinking makes her sick try her with an Ice pop

Sleep when you can and prepare for a long night
Hope dc gets well soon

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 25-May-14 21:58:36

I think towels on bed with you is a great idea. That's what I always do. I'd have some extra towels and sheets on standby too just in case.

If you don't have any dioralyte or similar you can add a little pinch of salt, sugar and squeeze of lemon juice to a glass of water for her to sip.

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 21:58:44

Thanks ruby, that's sorted then. She is sipping water, I'm just a bit worried about her bringing it back up.

Yes in your bed with towel and bucket sounds best. When my DD is sick she often seems to have completely emptied her stomach but then still keeps being sick in the night with main bile/dry heaving etc, so having a bucket to hand is a good idea. Really hope your DD is better quickly.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 25-May-14 21:59:17

X post! Hope she's better soon.

Raskova Sun 25-May-14 22:01:56

I think docs recommend 10mls of water every 10 mins after vomiting. Dioralyte is great if you have it.

Hope she's ok and you're ready for a potentially long night hmmwine

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 22:02:32

Oh thanks everyone, really appreciate all these replies.

I have diaoralyte! Will try that.

Yes I have a feeling she will keep retching and not bringing anything up which isn't nice.

Nerf Sun 25-May-14 22:03:08

Do sleep near her. Ds is six, and throws up without waking up.

Waswondering Sun 25-May-14 22:03:49

Flat coke is also very good, and if ice cold, a bit of a treat too! Hope she's ok.

MrsChickPea Sun 25-May-14 22:04:28

I'd sleep close. After a while try some Dioralyte sachets. They help replace all the salts etc that go missing with vomiting and dehydration. Mix it up and just syringe a very small amount into DD every now and again regularly. I'd suggest 2-3ml every 10 minutes. Obviously stop if more vomiting. But they do help even things out.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Sun 25-May-14 22:04:32

Brilliant you have dioralyte. Pharmacist told me if you have tiny sips every 10 mins or so it can help you stop feeling nauseous.

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 22:04:42

Waswondering is flat cherry coke ok?! I have that smile

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 22:05:29

Might try that now gunpowder, thanks

Normalisavariantofcrazy Sun 25-May-14 22:05:49

If it's flat and sugary it'll be good for her

I found it was easier to put cbeebies on and stay up with them with a bucket until it calms down.

MrsMaturin Sun 25-May-14 22:06:30

Flat anything sweet will help. I've out a bit of sugar in water before now and spooned it in 5 ml at a time. Poor little lamb sad

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 22:07:57

Good to know normal smile

Kitten we are watching wreck it Ralph for the second time... I think I will stay up with her for a while rather than trying to get her to sleep. Good idea

PonyoLovesHam Sun 25-May-14 22:08:53

MrsMaturin it's horrible seeing them like this isn't it, she's been really brave about it all bless her sad

FuckyNell Sun 25-May-14 22:09:54

Yes same as bad kitten here. Tele and the sick bucket.

FuckyNell Sun 25-May-14 22:10:13

Tele? Telly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now