Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you go to Australia just for a weekend?

(24 Posts)

edition.cnn.com/2014/05/19/travel/australia-weekend-trip/index.html

This sounds exhausting to me...

The long flights, jetlag, packing.... for a weekend?

Mrsjayy Sun 25-May-14 16:40:34

How is that even possible 24 ours there then back bloody bonkers no I wouldnt

foxinorangesocks Sun 25-May-14 16:42:24

No way! Unless it was for some emergency or I HAD to do it. Flying to Australia always makes me in awe of just how bloody big the earth is. I went for ten days and that felt a bit much.

TanteRose Sun 25-May-14 16:44:19

I've done Japan - South of France for a (long) weekend (left on a Thursday, arrived same evening...then returned on Monday to arrive back in Japan on Tuesday and yes, went into work that afternoon!!)

But Europe - Aus sounds mad confused

Mrsjayy Sun 25-May-14 16:44:49

My elderly neighbour goes for weeks to see her son 36 hours all in travelling I was moaning on a 4 hr flight to the canaries I couldnt do it

Mrsjayy Sun 25-May-14 16:45:39

How long does it take to get to europe from japan

TanteRose Sun 25-May-14 16:47:34

About 14 hours all in (with a couple of hours layover)

TanteRose Sun 25-May-14 16:48:00

Main flight is 11 or 12 hours

Ho Chi Minh City to Paris is 13.5 hrs, so I hate to think how long Tokyo to Paris is.....

Tante, I wouldn't have thought 11 or 12 direct.... Better than I thought.

PiratePanda Sun 25-May-14 16:52:35

No. Done the London-Oz trip many times. No way. It takes a week just to get over the jetlag!

Ok, so I might go for the weekend if one of my parents or siblings died and there was no choice to extend my stay, but under no other circumstances!

lanbro Sun 25-May-14 16:53:51

I did uk to New Zealand for just two weeks, even that seemed a long way for too little time so no way to Oz for the weekend!

TanteRose Sun 25-May-14 16:53:55

Yeah, I think it was about that - I flew Swiss to Zurich then Nice.
Wasn't too bad at all smile
Was for a surprise 80th birthday for my Dad smile

TanteRose Sun 25-May-14 16:54:57

If its that short a trip, there is no jet lag really. You just crack on!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 25-May-14 16:55:28

I've been to NZ for a fortnight a couple of times (someone else paying)

I'd go to Oz for a week if I didn't have to pay for it myself. I've been on an aeroplane for less than 10 return trips in my whole life so it's still a bit of a break/adventure in itself for me.

CremeEggThief Sun 25-May-14 16:59:02

Maybe if I lived in New Zealand, and only then if it were a long weekend! smile

beccajoh Sun 25-May-14 17:00:53

Only if I absolutely had to. I love Australia but the jet lag is vicious!

I went to Australia in March and that was tiring enough. I had to fly to HCM City from Hue at 11 AM, HCM City to Singapore at 19:50 and on to Sydney at 00:40... Then I had to fly to Melbourne 2 days later.

I could have flown direct -but Vietnam Air scares me after I was on a flight where the masks dropped- A week after I left VNA had an engine fire and Melbourne airport had to close for a few hours....

dippingbackin Sun 25-May-14 17:06:04

I have done it for a great friend's wedding. It was about 7 years ago when my DC were much younger.

It was brilliant - jet lag wiped me out when I got home, but I am so glad I went, it was an amazing trip with loads of events crammed in.

Only if it was for an occasion such as family wedding or a funeral maybe. But not just for a visit. We've been a few times on holiday and two weeks isn't long enough really. We found 4 weeks too long away from home so three weeks was about right.

Just looked at the trip details and no way would I do that! Australia is so much more than Sydney.

No I wouldn't. My DDad lives in Melbourne and getting there leaves me totally out of sorts for 3 or 4 days. We aim for a month each time- although it always means we have to travel in August, which isn't ideal!

Crutchlow35 Sun 25-May-14 17:36:28

I did Melbourne for 5 days about 8 years or so again. It was ok. Extremely tired but I'd not do it for a weekend.

Dutch1e Sun 25-May-14 17:57:42

And you have to drive from Sydney to Melbourne for the return flight. I've done that drive - it's a good 10 hours nonstop, in light traffic, not allowing the extra time to get across the city to Tullamarine (Melbourne's airport).

That's the worst getaway I've ever heard of

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now