Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Ched Evans

(45 Posts)
ButchCassidy Sun 25-May-14 11:27:16

Really hope link works. I'm not great with technology. There are talks about Ched Evans the rapist returning to his football club. This is a petition against this.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/kevin-mccabe-chairman-of-sheffield-utd-football-club-refuse-to-reinstate-ched-evans-as-a-player-at-sheffield-united

Bowlersarm Sun 25-May-14 11:30:16

Don't you want him to work then?

OwlCapone Sun 25-May-14 11:32:41

I assume he has served whatever punishment was handed out by the court?

Spacefrog35 Sun 25-May-14 11:34:44

He's due for release in October and has been offered his job back. I'm sorry but I'd rather see released prisoners working and contributing to society via taxes etc. than sat on benefits.

ButchCassidy Sun 25-May-14 11:43:09

To be honest I hadn't considered it from that point of view.
At the time the case made me sad as the victim was named on social media etc and he was treated as some sort of mistreated hero.
I know rationally he should have a job. And it's far better that he works than claims benefits. It just makes me feel sad that he will walk back into the life he left where as his victims life will never be the same again.
Sorry if the link offends anyone. I can ask to have it removed if it does

I'm with the others, he's served his sentence regardless of what kind of man he is.

He's a footballer, that's his trade so why shouldn't he go back to that?

He's a convicted rapist, he won't ever be able to lose that, however much he denies it.

basgetti Sun 25-May-14 12:00:49

I understand what you mean OP. His victim was treated shockingly in the aftermath of the case and if he goes back to Sheffield Utd to a hero's welcome it will be a grim spectacle. If he wants to go back to football and he can get a team to take him then fair enough, but people are entitled to register their unhappiness about it.

ButchCassidy Sun 25-May-14 12:03:02

Thanks basgetti. That's exactly what I meant but much more eloquently put.
It's the fact he will be given heroes welcome back to his club alongside the fact that his victim was treated so so badly at the time.

AreYouFeelingLucky Sun 25-May-14 12:05:59

Of course you can register your unhappiness. Unless you're willing to support the man, though, he needs to go back to work.

There is no talk of a heroes welcome. Nobody will forget what he did. He's served his time, though. The sentence for rape is jail time, not life behind bars. I'd understand a campaign for that, if that is what you believe, but campaigning against the club is misplaced. If SU don't take him, someone else will.

Hopefully his victim is being well supported.

He might get a hero's reception from a deluded minority but not everyone.

I imagine he'll get dogs abuse at away games.

AlpacaYourThings Sun 25-May-14 12:11:54

I'd rather he was working and contributing to society.

He has served half of the sentence the court gave him, however, I don't think he has been rehabilitated as he still maintains his innocence.

fredfredsausagehead1 Sun 25-May-14 14:40:43

There is more to the trial than the media reports! Lots of things came put after the trial about the person who didn't get sentenced.

Let him get on with his life!

KaFayOLay Sun 25-May-14 14:45:15

I'm sure opposing fans will have some choice insults to taunt him with.

I too agree that he has done his time and he should be able to carry on with his life/career choice.

gertiegusset Sun 25-May-14 14:51:59

Maybe when Stuart Hall is released he'll get a job back on the telly.
Probably a bit on the old side for It's a knock out but something nice for the afternoon viewers eh.
Maybe Max Clifford's clients will all come a rollin' back begging to be associated with a rapist and abuser.

Not enough to warrant an appeal fred or there'd have been one.

I doubt the victim is being particularly well suported by the police, going by my experience of them. I know she ended up having to change her identity because of the abuse.

weatherall Sun 25-May-14 14:55:39

He should be back in a position where he will be seen as an example to other young men.

It would be horrendous for his victim for him to carry on his life and lifestyle like he had done no wrong.

Most businesses would not employ a rapist in a high profile, well paid position; as someone who promotes the image of the business. Who would want that PR?

The fact that football clubs will is just part of why I think the commercial game is so horrible. The fans don't care, so the PR thing is a non issue. They welcome assaulters, drink drivers and wife beaters too.

basgetti Sun 25-May-14 15:09:32

I think it's even more awful that he has been visited in prison with these offers. He received a 5 year sentence only 2 years ago and hasn't yet been successfully released back into the community, or proven he can meet licence conditions. Even if people believe he deserves another chance surely the bare minimum that needs to happen is that he proves he can behave himself upon release? The idea of him signing a new contract whilst on day release suggests that those involved just see a prison sentence for rape as a pesky formality to get over with and don't take his offences seriously at all.

OwlCapone Sun 25-May-14 15:37:41

Would an ordinary offender be allowed to take a job under those circumstances?

OwlCapone Sun 25-May-14 15:40:25

As far as I am concerned, he has served what he has to serve and he can get on with whatever he is able to do. Just like any other offender.

weatherall Sun 25-May-14 15:50:39

Sex offenders aren't like other offenders though,

That's why we have the sex offenders register.

I think the opinions here would be very different if he was a convicted paedophile.

ButchCassidy Sun 25-May-14 16:57:13

Sorry I don't think I worded my OP well at all.
Others on the thread have done a far better job than me.

Bowlersarm Sun 25-May-14 16:59:34

But he's not a convicted paedophile, why throw that red herring in?

Totally agree with OwlCapone.

BabeRuthless Sun 25-May-14 17:03:47

I don't buy the "football as a trade" argument. If a plumber unblocks a toilet the whole street doesn't come out to cheer him and give him a standing ovation. I can't bear to watch the inevitable chest beating celebration which will follow his first goal. If I was a Sheff Utd supporter this would make me very uncomfortable indeed.

ButchCassidy Sun 25-May-14 17:05:34

I know I'm probably being unreasonable as he has served his time. But his victim doesn't have that luxury she will carry round her sentence for life. And for him to carry on as though nothing has happened just seems so wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now