Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

LO gurgling/ murmuring in cot, do you leave them?

(14 Posts)
MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 25-May-14 04:39:27

DS is 4 months, have just fed him now he's wide awake. Didn't cry when I put him back in his cot (!) smile
Should I leave him to chatter, knowing as soon as I drop off he'll cry to be fed back to sleep, or try and feed to sleep now? shock

vvviola Sun 25-May-14 04:42:45

I would just leave him. He may settle himself.

(Disclaimer: DD2 did that a handful of times and then never again, DD1 never did it, so I'm hardly an authority on the matter grin)

tertle Sun 25-May-14 04:58:17

Hmm knowing what it's like to have DD start grizzling just as I drop back off to sleep after a feed; I would be tempted to say that you should try to feed him to sleep again. However - it could be a good idea to see if he'll settle himself.

Sorry - not v helpful! But I know how you feel. DD is currently sleeping peacefully next to me in our bed having just finished feeding. I just know as soon as I put her in her cot and try to get back to sleep her eyes will open and she'll start crying.

purplemurple1 Sun 25-May-14 05:42:30

Too late for tonight - but I always leave to self settle -at 6 months he could go down awake without any eveningbottle or night ffeeds.
Of course that may have happened anyway but I'd still try it again.

outtheothersidefinally Sun 25-May-14 05:50:44

He will let you know when he wants to be picked up! Think about how over stimulated babies are all day - a few moments to practice babbling with some space is important to them! Loads of cuddles and some down time is a nice balance but anyway, he'll let you know!

Frogisatwat Sun 25-May-14 07:23:15

Yes leave him as others have said he well may self settle. Its bloody hard to resist them when they are being that cute.

Frogisatwat Sun 25-May-14 07:25:08

Oh this was posted a while ago! It brought back a few lovely memories! I go to bed before my two now sad

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sun 25-May-14 20:22:18

I dropped off- he cried hmm

When people say leave to self settle, does that mean baby babbles then sleep? Or grizzles then sleeps? Or cries then sleeps? blush

Frogisatwat Sun 25-May-14 20:28:39

I wouldn't worry if its a mix of the above if they do eventually settle. If they get up to full throttle then its unlikely they will self settle! Don't try to feed to sleep if he can do it by himself which it sounds like he did! smile

Frogisatwat Sun 25-May-14 20:30:57

Oh sorry I misread. I still go by what I said.
But he didn't settle himself? Mine used to do all of the above and sometimes had to feed to sleep too!

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 26-May-14 04:25:28

Didn't settle himself, but lay alone (awake) again tonight for a while before crying so I guess that's heading in the right direction? smile

Frogisatwat Mon 26-May-14 07:36:14

I think so ! My baby no 1 was a velcro baby who I couldn't even get in the cot before he wailed! No 2 used to do the whole gurgle/ cry thing as I mentioned above. Hope he gets the hang of it soon!

MistletoeBUTNOwine Mon 26-May-14 20:34:12

Thank you smile I've gone over to the dark side and given DS a dummy after his feed, then held him til he was asleep. He was using me as a dummy hmm

Frogisatwat Mon 26-May-14 21:07:00

I said I would never use a dummy. Then I had a baby grin whatever gets us through the day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now