Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Took ds2 out for a meal tonight and ended up telling a guy to stop swearing!!

(64 Posts)

I took ds2 out to the local Wetherspoons near where he lives tonight. We sat down and i went to order. As i sat down i heard the bloke behind me chatting to his gf..... every fifth word was the "f" word. I moved ds2 and i forward a table and went and told staff so they could find us. Manager said he would listen out. Fast forward ten minutes and the CL football started. It was playing quite loudly and i could still hear him fing and blinding so i calmly got up went up to the table and asked him to stop swearing. He replied he was having a good time and i said that he might well be but he didnt need to pepper every sentence with the f word.
He wasnt very happy as i walked away. I can take quite a lot before i fly off the handle but he was spoiling my evening with ds2!! My friend said i was brave when i told her later. I told her i was just very cross!!!

AbbeyBartlet Sat 24-May-14 23:36:06

A Wetherspoons on a Saturday is not necessarily a suitable place to go if you don't want to hear swearing. Our local one is full of load sweary people, esp on a Saturday.

AbbeyBartlet Sat 24-May-14 23:38:09

So if you want a night out with a less sweary atmosphere, a quiet restaurant may be more suitable for you. When I used to go out, I swore a lot as well (still do) and it would annoy me if someone came up to me and told me about it.

vestandknickers Sat 24-May-14 23:39:20

It is Saturday night. You are being precious.

I once did that on holiday... there was a group of young americans near us at the pool and every other word was 'retard' along with plenty of swear words.

I gritted my teeth for an hour but eventually went over and asked them very politely to stop swearing andcalling each other retarded, because I had my (obviously) disabled son with me and it was offensive to hear. To their credit they apologised and were obviously embarrassed, as they just weren't thinking.

I think you are brave tho :D

lunar1 Sat 24-May-14 23:41:34

I think an adult, in an adult venue on a Saturday night shouldn't have to watch their language.

Figster Sat 24-May-14 23:42:34

How old is DS2?

Meanderdeander Sat 24-May-14 23:46:53

Yabu. Surely Saturday nights in pubs are for adults.

DS2 is nearly 18, profoundly deaf and has learning difficulties and can lip read very well!

flisscat Sat 24-May-14 23:48:57

It's Saturday night and a pub. I would have avoided somewhere like that.

OwlCapone Sat 24-May-14 23:51:22

I think an adult, in an adult venue on a Saturday night shouldn't have to watch their language.

This.

Had it been at lunchtime, I would feel a bit differently. Although it was a pub, not a family restaurant.

Fair enough! Will avoid on a Saturday night in the future!!

Scousadelic Sat 24-May-14 23:52:38

I hate swearing but it is commonplace now for a lot of people and I think, as others have said, Wetherspoons is probably a place where you are going to come across this more than most.

I'm sorry Lottie but, on balance, I think you are probably more unreasonable than he is. If your DS is too young to hear that kind of language then Wetherspoons is probably not a good place to take him

BackforGood Sat 24-May-14 23:52:52

Personally, I don't like to hear swearing - see no need for it, however they are in a pub on a Saturday night. You chose to go in there. I respect their right to swear there, and, if I don't want to hear it, I'd choose to eat elsewhere.

CommunistLegoBloc Sat 24-May-14 23:54:31

I have to say that whilst I don't adore swearing, it's not like there were children present or it was an inappropriate venue. If he were being offensive by using homophobic / racist / sexist / disabilist language then that's entirely different, but he was having a night out with other adults in an adult environment.

Elemental Sun 25-May-14 00:10:38
Poetnojo Sun 25-May-14 00:11:44

If you were so concerned about your ds lip reading swearing, could you not have had him sitting in such a position that he would not be facing the bloke, so wouldn't have noticed what he was saying?

TheThreeCheesesOfTheApocalypse Sun 25-May-14 00:15:48

TBH it kind of comes with the territory of saturday night pub dwelling, pub goers already have to moderate their behaviour because so many are family pubs these days, they should be able to let loose on a Saturday even (( actually think it's a bit crap wetherspoons started letting kids in ))

I don't like swearing either, so i'd have moved.

MrsWinnibago Sun 25-May-14 00:23:36

It's cheap and cheerful and you should find a nicer venue Lottie.

randomfemale Sun 25-May-14 00:28:47

Sorry but if you had come up to me in the pub on a Saturday night with your 'oh so precious gripes' I would have told you to Fuck Off. HTH

If you don't like it, take your son elsewhere. Jeez - is there nowhere for adults to be adults anymore???????

Whilst I empathise with how it made you feel, you were in a Wetherspoons, on a Saturday night, the football was on, and you were with your adult DS - someone was swearing. Was that really a shock?!

I worked in a Wetherspoons for years and swearing was the least of the trouble. (Not tarring every spoons with the same brush, tho this was in v v upmarket St. Albans!)

WorraLiberty Sun 25-May-14 00:35:39

No sorry OP, even though loud swearing in public is my pet hate I just can't agree with you on this one.

You chose a well known chain of pubs on a Saturday night, televising the Champion's League final to take your son to.

If (like me) loud public swearing annoys you, you chose the wrong place to eat.

When my kids were little we used to take them to our local Royal British Legion social club occasionally. It's a family club and there is clause in the terms and conditions of membership about using profanities.

I remember once asking a couple of guys to stop using the words 'fucking cunt' so loudly as they were sitting at a table next to my very young children...and other club members said the same.

But in your case I think you should have expected it, given your choice and date of venue.

coldwater1 Sun 25-May-14 02:04:27

Why do people get so offended with swearing? They are just words. Weird.

truthwithin Sun 25-May-14 02:26:05

Lottie As a fairly pottymouthed adult, I think you are absolutely right. Besides the odd swear word, if children are present then it's a no-no.

As for being slated by your choice of venue....Wetherspoons advertise themselves as a family 'pub'. It's not like you were out on the lash at 8pm at night! Not had too many good experiences at a Wetherspoons so won't go again. This includes both racist and non family oriented language. Staff were scared stiff, had to eject offender myself.

truthwithin Sun 25-May-14 02:27:20

Lottie As a fairly pottymouthed adult, I think you are absolutely right. Besides the odd swear word, if children are present then it's a no-no.

As for being slated by your choice of venue....Wetherspoons advertise themselves as a family 'pub'. It's not like you were out on the lash at 8pm at night! Not had too many good experiences at a Wetherspoons so won't go again. This includes both racist and non family oriented language. Staff were scared stiff, had to eject offender myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now