Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What's your go-to showstopper vegetarian meal?

(64 Posts)
BubblegumBrigade Sat 24-May-14 21:56:18

Having vegetarian guests for supper next week. Want to make it a bit less meh than veggie lasagne. Am devoid of inspiration.

stripeyred Sat 24-May-14 21:58:50

Risotto maybe? It is my favourite though, I wish someone would make me one

kd73 Sat 24-May-14 22:02:36

Slimming world meal : butternut squash and red lentil curry . I am not veggie but love this

Dysfunctional Sat 24-May-14 22:02:52

Risotto is a bit high maintenance and easy to get wrong.

If you want to do something fun and informal you could do a veg chilli then make some guacamole, get the sour cream out, grate some cheese, heat up some wraps and set it all out for guests to get stuck in and serve themselves- delicious and easy.

For something more formal moussaka, grilled sliced aubergine layer, a tomato sauce and lentils layer, a cheese layer- served with roasties perhaps.

BrokenToeOuch Sat 24-May-14 22:05:11

We had a veggie guest for Christmas dinner. I was all for shoving a quorn fillet in the oven but DP made some kind of leek/mushroom/nut sort of filling to put inside filo and a delicious port sauce. I think he found the recipe on BBC food and he made it the day before so it could just be cooked on the day, and the sauce just heated up. It was so nice!

BubblegumBrigade Sat 24-May-14 22:08:12

It will be formal ish, so delicious as the wraps sound, perhaps not quite what I'm looking for.

V I treated by the filo port thing!

BubblegumBrigade Sat 24-May-14 22:08:51

*intrested not I treated.

pointythings Sat 24-May-14 22:12:48

Warm Puy lentil salad.

For the salad: Cook the lentils until firm but tender. Saute sliced mushrooms in olive oil, season well and make sure they get that nice seared look. Quarter cherry or plum tomatoes.

For the dressing: Make a vinaigrette with raspberry vinegar and olive oil. Add a good glug of neutral honey, some soy sauce and a tea spoon full of Indonesian or Vietnamese chilli paste (it's called Sambal, make sure you are using one that does not contain prawns or fish) Stir together the ingredients with the dressing. Serve on a bed of spinach leaves and add crusty bread.

Alternatively - Chickpea and Feta salad with minted yogurt dressing. You can use tinned chickpeas for this, it's very quick. Again quarter cherry or plum tomatoes. Make the dressing first - this is important as it needs to sit. Take a small pot of low-fat natural yogurt (because it is runny), add 2 tbs of mayonnaise, a couple of cloves of chopped raw garlic, to tsp of sugar and a handful of finely chopped mint. Leave to infuse for at least an hour, stir every now and then.
Warm the chickpeas through , leave to cool until still slightly warm. Then toss through the cherry toms and the cubed feta (which should melt just a little) and the dressing. Serve as above.

Koothrapanties Sat 24-May-14 22:16:05

Is stir fry too casual?

Quorn chicken pieces are lovely in a stir fry. Loads of lovely veg, noodles and sauce. You could make spring rolls and bits to go with?

YussMinister Sat 24-May-14 22:16:08

Mushroom Wellington! Made with the best mix of mushrooms you can muster. I use a bbc food recipe. You can serve with potatoes, veg.

pointythings Sat 24-May-14 22:19:28

I was just going to say if it's formal you can't get away from something posh with pastry.

Or alternatively you could do a curry buffet - curry lends itself very well to vegetarian cuisine. Make 3 different veggie curries, some dhal, some rice, some naan bread, set it all out on a gorgeous tablecloth and let people make their own plates up.

SquirrelledAway Sat 24-May-14 22:21:45

Baked beans on toast.

Mushroom, spinach and potato pie
here

Instead of serving the steamed veg alongside the pie, I usually add them in, just be sure to make more of the mustard sauce.
Very easy to make and is delish!

MrsMagWeary Sat 24-May-14 22:23:31

There's a Yottem Otelonghi recipe I usually do at Christmas. It's basically a quiche with butternut squash, blue cheese and quince. It was in the observer so it's probably still on their website. It is delicious!

BuggersMuddle Sat 24-May-14 22:25:07

I depends who it's for:

Tomato risotto with roasted aubergine is lovely but high maintenance

Chick pea salad with cherry tomatoes, rocket, mixed herbs and halloumi is a favourite.

I don't serve to guests (since serving it to meat eating parents), but there is a fantastic crusted bean bake suggested by Good Housekeeping which is a staple of ours, looks nice and is really easy to make. I will look for an online version...

My fave Is a giant filo pie filled with roast veg and ricotta, served with tomato chilli relish. Layer filo with oil after 6 sheets pile in filling, scrunch and scrunch leftover sheets on top, brush with butter and cook for 30 mins.

Or halloumi ... Stir fry broccoli and asparagus with red pepper and chilli. Grill halloumi slides, arrange artfully on top of veg with drizzle of pomegranate molasses and nuts of choice, I like almonds, served with roast tomatoes and salad... Yum!!

parallax80 Sat 24-May-14 22:27:29

This: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1331/halloumi-stuffed-peppers

(Can to use risotto rice as alternative filling)

ravenAK Sat 24-May-14 22:36:42

I usually do veg biryani (JO recipe is OK) plus lots of accompaniments like bombay potatoes, daal. A couple of salads & some bought in bhajis etc.

Possibly not formal enough, though?

Alternatively, make ahead a posh-ish risotto, allow to cool, then use as a filling for a filo pie - just line a tin with layers of filo, dollop in the risotto, & allow the filo to fold back over it. Then bake. I do a chestnut & mushroom one for Xmas, but this time of year maybe an asparagus & pea version?

Serve with Jerseys & salad.

Or a 'summer' lasagne with fresh veg, cottage cheese & mint? I've got a nice Rose Elliot recipe somewhere. Much lighter than trad veggie lasagne.

SuburbanRhonda Sat 24-May-14 22:38:47

This is a Christmas recipe, but as a centrepiece it's stunning and absolutely delicious.

CorusKate Sat 24-May-14 22:40:50

DP just made this lovely thing involving layering grilled aubergines, tomato sauce (like pasta sauce) and mozzarella, baked in the oven, with a few eggs cracked on top at the end. And some bacon in it. there was a lot of olive oil in there too. Bloody gorgeous, but I've just counted up the calories. shock

EasyCube Sat 24-May-14 22:43:32

a vegetable lasagne with fresh salad and bread?

Have you ever tried wagamama style yasai katsu? There's loads of recipes online for that.

ToysRLuv Sat 24-May-14 22:46:05

Greek feta salad with spanakopitta

Gemista - Greek-style filled peppers and beef tomatoes with rice and Quorn mince filling, served with natural set yoghurt and fresh bread. Heavenly.

Example recipes:

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spanakopita_26903

mylittleexpatkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/the-gemista.html

ToysRLuv Sat 24-May-14 22:46:51

Spanakopitta is a filo pastry pie with spinach and a bit of feta.

ecuse Sat 24-May-14 22:47:55

Mushroom bourguignon - from the smitten kitchen website. Rich, tasty, luxurious (but not hard!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now