Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

"just give them what you're having..."

(60 Posts)
Blankiefan Sat 24-May-14 21:13:09

So, we're weaning 7mo DD. we're up to 2 meals a day (on top of a litre of formula) and have moved from first tastes to more complex flavours via Annabel Karmel. I expect that for the next month or som we'll continue to make separate meals for DD.

We are keen, however, to get her onto eating what we eat....but - whilst we eat reasonably healthily, and mostly cooked from scratch - every meal we regularly make seems to have an issue. Are we being too cautious or do you think we're gong to have to change our me u (beyond switching to No Salt stock cubes?). Here's a few of our meals and my concerns:

- Chicken wrapped in prosciutto cooked on leeks (there's wine in the leeks and I'm worried the prosciutto is too salty)

- fritatta with ham, peas and feta. (she'll choke on the peas and the feta will be too salty)

- quorn chilli (isn't quorn bad for kids?)

- risotto with leeks and bacon (can they eat rice and won't the bacon be too salty)

Im aware i sound a bit orecious - She is, clearly, pfb. Any ideas?

Frogisatwat Sat 24-May-14 21:15:31

I think you need to stick to jars!wink

Ikeameatballs Sat 24-May-14 21:17:05

She'll be fine with all of it.

Frogisatwat Sat 24-May-14 21:18:59

Joking aside.. chicken and leeks?
Omelette rather than frittata?
Risotto sans bacon?
You can introduce more as she gets older!

CakeyCakeyCakey Sat 24-May-14 21:19:43

I always have ds the same as us but modified his slightly so for the chicken if just leave the prosciutto off hers and cook it and her leeks seperate.
Ds loved rice and peas and I'd just fish the bacon out tbh.
Ds is my pfb but to be honest I eventually got fed up with worrying about it and fed him whatever we were having and am glad that now he's nearly three he just eats exactly what we are.

Frogisatwat Sat 24-May-14 21:20:05

At 7 months the peas should be fine unless tgey are raw!

ThePowerOfMe Sat 24-May-14 21:20:09

I don't know about the quorn but the rest seem ok as long as you shred the chicken quite small.

Methe Sat 24-May-14 21:20:34

She'll be fine with everything there. Mine were weaned on whatever we ate and now and they'll eat apabsolutly anything and always have.

The only concession I made was low salt stock which we still use now.

EasyCube Sat 24-May-14 21:21:52

could you post your last 7 nights meals and people can help you more

Do you have a blender to give things a slight whizz (pea's)

NitramAtTheKrap Sat 24-May-14 21:24:03

I honestly just gave mine exactly what we were having from 6months. Think DSs first solids was curry.

I just cut out the salt. Why not quorn??

Waggamamma Sat 24-May-14 21:25:29

All sounds fine to me. Good to develop her palette early and not do seperate 'childrens food' imo. You can modify slightly e.g less spice in her chilli or mix through some cream/yoghurt, leave the prosciutto off her chicken, peas completely fine.

Don't mush it up, just let her eat it from the high chair tray.

Koothrapanties Sat 24-May-14 21:26:26

I''ve been having this issue. It seems that everything we eat is either too salty, too spicy, processed, a choking hazard etc.

Also the 'just let them eat off your plate' blw brigade... Don't you eat hot food?

Koothrapanties Sat 24-May-14 21:27:45

Nitram - from what I read, quorn just fills them up with not much nutrition.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 24-May-14 21:29:00

you just wave it about a bit to cool down!

I have to say though, they can go through a fussy phase AFTER you have lovingly given them everything you have eaten for the first 18 months of their life <bitter>

Ludways Sat 24-May-14 21:29:53

She'll be ok with all that. If I had an issue with a particular ingredient I'd just take their portion out and then continue to cook adding in that ingredient for us.

Peas are fine for 7m

Blankiefan Sat 24-May-14 21:31:54

Thanks for thoughts so far. Here's what we ate this week (with the things I'd be concerned about in brackets):

-fritatta (feta and peas ; salt and choking)
- spaghetti puttanesca (anchovies and baby capers; as above)
- taco chicken chilli (chilli)
- sausage casserole (low fat sausages - a bit worried they'd be full of preservatives: I know we could change the sausages but the low fat bit is why we have this meal)
- chicken Biryani (salt and raisins to choke on)
- clearly, the Chinese take away we had tonight would be off the menu!

I think from what everyone's saying, I'm worrying too much about it and should just give her it.

We do have a blender - all her oureees currently are pretty smooth - we'll be upping the texture side of things across this month....

Thanks for your thoughts...

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 24-May-14 21:32:45

It all sounds fine, beef would be better than quorn, but I expect the beans will go down better than either. You're being way too precious.

Not identical foods, but similar stuff, and we just weaned DD on what we ate, sometimes we modified it slightly at the table - mixing in cream or yogurt to spicier stuff, picking out the bits she preferred from other dishes - e.g. peas, or chicken or whatever.

Frogisatwat Sat 24-May-14 21:34:02

Mine ate what we ate with very slight modifications only for them to refuse it as they got older!

curlyclaz13 Sat 24-May-14 21:34:05

Ds eats what we eat, just cut salt out. Didn't blend anything just cut meat into strips. Think you are supposed to wait until they can 'pincer' for peas. Wrt hot food, I pop his on a cold plate and mine on a warm one then just bung it on his high chair tray. If he wants more from my plate it is cool enough by then for him. He regularly has curry,chilli,paella & risotto happily.

BrianButterfield Sat 24-May-14 21:34:11

Yy Humphrey - DS was a BLW poster boy, cramming veg into his mouth with both hands at 7 months. Two years and a bit later and he practically got a standing ovation for trying a pea. He's coming out of it now but still mostly rocks up to the table ready for dinner, sees a plate of delicious homemade food and tries to do an about-turn. Potato waffles, on the other hand, get demolished. And I did everything right.

BrokenToeOuch Sat 24-May-14 21:34:27

I agree with the other advice given - and we just cooked without salt and added it at the end.
With spicy foods we made it milder than we would have liked and pepped it up with hot pepper sauce at the end and mixed the DCs with whatever carb it was with (rice usually) and some plain yoghurt.
They now honestly eat everything we do, and are 10, 8 and 2. People comment positively on their non fussiness and I do think it's because they always just ate what we were having and have never cooked separate 'kids food'.

fredfredgeorgejnr Sat 24-May-14 21:35:07

Koothrapanties You serve them early on a small cold plate, or mix in some cold cream or yoghurt (more important in a babies diet than an adults to) and they're nice and cool and ready to eat while you're serving yourself at the table from the still warm dishes.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 24-May-14 21:36:10

Hello OP

All 3 of ours ate what we did or I batch made simpler meals for baby right from starting to wean.
Most things were blended to begin with, but mine are older and I'm not sure what parents are told now.
It hasn't done them any harm and their first meals started at 3 months as this was what was advised back then.
I'm sure unless you use salt or lots of spice it will be fine.

MrsDiesel Sat 24-May-14 21:36:44

I would feed all of that to ds. The alcohol is cooked out of the wine. The bacon wont be too salty, just don't add in any extra salt, season on your own plate and peas and rice are fine.

Ds favourite was peas from weaning he liked picking them up. I wouldn't bother blending or shredding anything.

Frogisatwat Sat 24-May-14 21:38:04

If you think about 'baby led weaning' also known as a selection of finger foods.. the food is far more textured than peas so I wouldn't worry too much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now