Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

My new neighbour just knocked on my door

(460 Posts)
dillite Sat 24-May-14 09:04:41

They moved in last night at 10pm. Just had a knock and there he is, asking me not to cook bacon, as he's finding it offensive. And that it will make it easier to be neighbours in the future if I just do as asked. I am still lost for words. Yes, I was cooking some bacon and my kitchen window was open, BUT REALLY???? What's next?

mathanxiety Tue 27-May-14 16:47:18

Great post by Goldie upthread.

andsmile Tue 27-May-14 10:21:48

well the bottom line is my neighbours cook curry regulalry and whilst strong doesnt bother me. I cook pork regularly and bacon and sausages. We are friendly. I wouldnt dream of going round to theirs about cooking smells and I wouldnt expect them to knock on my door and complain.

I don't know what political party they vote for or what god they worship or if indeed they do any of these things as it is none of my bloody business tbh. We chat about weather and the parent stuff. Some of use are brown/white and beige grin. There are no ukip posters round here.

This thread is shameful

ipswichwitch Tue 27-May-14 10:15:09

Yes Fideline that's on my "to try" list along with that fabulous sounding banana bread recipe. A supermarket trip is now in order because not only am I now hungry for all things bacony/bananabready I realise I have no ingredients whatsoever.

FidelineandFumblin Tue 27-May-14 09:57:21

Speaking of hungry, I can whole-heartedly endorse quietbatpersons's recipe upthread. Really delicious fast supper. And v bacony smile

ipswichwitch Tue 27-May-14 09:49:51

Somewhat ironically my neighbours are cooking bacon now.... <feels hungry>

ipswichwitch Tue 27-May-14 09:46:55

Yy to everything that Thumbwitch just said.
Fwiw when I was pregnant my morning sickness was so bad that any number of cooking smells would make me vomit (even now some still make me sick to my stomach). Did I go knock on my neighbours door an demand they stop cooking said offensive (to me) smelling item in a slightly threatening manner? No. Because I am not a twat.

FidelineandFumblin Tue 27-May-14 09:35:46

Nah scrub that - I've immediately seen the flaw.

There is no answer. It is annoying.

FidelineandFumblin Tue 27-May-14 09:34:57

How about a 'mutually agreed destruction' button whereby if more than 50% of posters think a thread has gone too far awry and press, the thread goes poof?

Thumbwitch Tue 27-May-14 08:21:39

Well this went sorely tits up, didn't it!

FWIW, the OP reads perfectly straightforwardly to people who aren't looking for subtexts.
• Bacon = strong smell when cooking, could just as easily have been mackerel/kippers
• NDN = male with forceful attitude - yes, some of them are just like that - bullies. SO are some women, but this NDN is a man.
• "offensive" = common term to describe smells that offend the nostrils. I find Lush shops utterly offensive, for e.g., ditto DH's farts.
• "What's next?" = straightforward comment from someone worrying about weirdy neighbour's strange demands - next could have been, for e.g. "don't park there" "don't play tv so loud" "Don't do housework at 8am" "don't hang washing out on Mondays" - do none of you subtext-searchers have any experience of weirdy demanding neighbours? confused

slithytove Mon 26-May-14 16:04:32

Did you see my responses to your post yesterday hak because they kind of show that actually, the hidden racism you have identified isn't there. You chose to ignore my reply so I would like to know what you think.

I will reiterate. OP didn't mention their own gender.
OP did not mention (initially) cooking other pork products.
It is your opinion that the word offensive is inappropriate to use when describing smells. Others disagree.

So really, all you have to go on is bacon, which says more about you than it does about the OP if you jump to islamophobia.

Strawdolly Mon 26-May-14 13:49:54

But my ndn was French - a pita on a regular basis - but nothing to do with race or religion - oh Christ, wait .... grin

And that got through without anybody raising an eyebrow hmm

gorionine Mon 26-May-14 13:41:13

Fidel I can see why it could be perceived that way.I just personally think that sometimes there is no point in making a point and to me this instance is one of them. Feel free to make a different choice though, that is what makes MN a place I like to be on because the good bits by far outweighs the sad bits. I Think it is great to offer different perspectives on things but sometimes ,when it does not lead to anyone learning anything (I do not mean by that that 1 opinion should "win"but that both party open their mind a bit it is a bit of waste of a good keyboard.smile.

DurhamDurham Mon 26-May-14 13:37:45

Yes, you did. In answer to my statement you said

"Isn't that rather my point?"

This was I reference to me saying that bacon had been mentioned and so must have had racist overtones...I was being sarcastic but you missed that and agreed with me.

FidelineandFumblin Mon 26-May-14 13:18:26

Well it's something of a Hobson's choice isn't it?

Hakluyt Mon 26-May-14 13:17:04

"Hak at 11.50 you basically admitted that it was the mention of the word bacon that made you 'suspect' racist intentions."

No I didn't.

My post of 20.27 yesterday pertains.

gorionine Mon 26-May-14 13:16:18

"I'm not sure it has gorio. Some of us have been pretty energetic in resisting attempts to put any religion anywhere near it."

That is true but I have learnt with experience that whatever you say in a thread that ends up turning like this one, is the more you are trying to say it has nothing to do with religion, the more the other party will make it the main issue, very often at the detriment of the people they are intending to "defend".

FidelineandFumblin Mon 26-May-14 13:04:44

Some people, regardless of their faith or absence of faith, regardless of their upbringing and the country they come from are idiots, do not let that cause a "should be offended/should not be offended rift, it is not worth it and helps no one.

But yes; exactly this.

CorusKate Mon 26-May-14 13:03:29

What this thread has managed to do though is put people against each other putting Islam in the middle of it again.

Well said.

FidelineandFumblin Mon 26-May-14 13:03:00

What this thread has managed to do though is put people against each other putting Islam in the middle of it again.

I'm not sure it has gorio. Some of us have been pretty energetic in resisting attempts to put any religion anywhere near it.

gorionine Mon 26-May-14 12:58:26

This thread is starting to make me really sad.
OP's intentions might or might not have been an attempt at showing Muslims as unreasonable people who want to impose their views and stop non Muslim leading a normal life; we will never know for sure and that is really not important.
When I posted before, I myself got sucked into it and I really regret it. I could equally have said to op that if someone had told me what to not cook (as opposed to asked kindly and giving reasonable ground), probability is I would have cooked that very thing for days too.
Some people, regardless of their faith or absence of faith, regardless of their upbringing and the country they come from are idiots, do not let that cause a "should be offended/should not be offended rift, it is not worth it and helps no one.

FidelineandFumblin Mon 26-May-14 12:54:23

Circles innit Fid

Pfft <gives up>

DurhamDurham Mon 26-May-14 12:48:19

Hak at 11.50 you basically admitted that it was the mention of the word bacon that made you 'suspect' racist intentions.

What a very big jump you made in order to connect the two.

Skina Mon 26-May-14 12:42:53

Professionally unoffended? Really? Circles innit Fid

This has nothing to do with my not being offended and everything to do with exasperation that no matter the bloody op, someone, somewhere will deliberately find offence however tenuous, if at all, the link.

This happens over and over again from sexism, SN, benefits, racism and homophobia on MN. Hell, I've seen people take offence at toilet/loo, what/pardon ffs. it's loo and what grin

FidelineandFumblin Mon 26-May-14 12:13:56

This is beyond parody confused

Professionally unoffended!?

Because I can't see something that isn't there?

Hakluyt Mon 26-May-14 12:06:27

<shrugs>

As I said, the professionally unoffended are out in force!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now