Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Car tax - not received renewal letter

(16 Posts)
TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-May-14 12:39:07

Yeah, riveting topic I know.

I've not received my car tax renewal letter, and my car tax is due at end of month. Any ideas what I should do?

I think that you can take the V5 reg doc and other bits into a post office, but I can't get to one without a massive palaver. The website not that helpful either.

Fragglewump Wed 14-May-14 12:40:37

You can do it online with your registration document.

I was worrying about this last month. My renewal arrived a week before tax day. There's still time.

bettybyebye Wed 14-May-14 12:41:29

Watching with interest as this has happened to me too. Was hoping that the delay website would be able to advise bit haven't looked yet

RidgyTipper Wed 14-May-14 12:41:34

Mine came really late this year too!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-May-14 12:41:46

Ooh, thanks both.
Will go and scour the website again, and perhaps grow some patience!
blush

eurochick Wed 14-May-14 12:41:56

I always do mine online.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-May-14 12:42:26

Why so late? Are they winding up the service as we move to not having the actual discs?

Lanabelle Wed 14-May-14 12:54:20

I renewed my tax about 5 days late (I am terrible for remembering) get your V5 out and use the number on it on this site https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc

hit 'apply now'

on the left hand side there are orange options so choose 'apply for tax disc'

read through the statements and select the yes/no options suitable for you and hit 'next'

the next page to come up had a section at the bottom for if you don't have a reminder put in your reg and the 11 digit number from the V5 then hit 'next'

after that it will ask you if you want 6 months or a year so choose what you want and hit 'next'

after this is the card details section so fill out as you normally do.

hope this helps and saves you the palava of finding all the documents and queuing with the old biddies in the post office

ConcreteElephant Wed 14-May-14 13:10:54

We only got ours yesterday. I was beginning to look at what to do if it didn't arrive. Hopefully yours is on the way too.

LIZS Wed 14-May-14 13:13:22

Mine renewed last month and the reminder was only about 2 weeks before it expired.

mejon Wed 14-May-14 13:34:01

Mine arrived this morning. Don't panic - there's 2 weeks until the end of the month.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 14-May-14 13:45:58

Lanabelle - that's really kind, thanks! I could only find the link where it said take your V5 to the post office...
I shall do it (online) today.

I'm normally such a last minute Larry, but I know that if I don't get the letter, I'll totally forget about it again and then realise too late that I am driving without.

specialsubject Wed 14-May-14 13:58:19

make sure you use the right website (the one linked above). There are scams about.

make a note in your diary for MoT renewal too; not having one means no insurance and you don't get reminders unless you pay for them.

magichandles Wed 14-May-14 14:07:41

Mine hasn't arrived yet for the end of this month - we only thought about it a couple of days ago as it's a new car (to us) so not used to the new renewal date.

Lanabelle Wed 14-May-14 14:09:12

I wouldn't worry about it, I teach a group of really annoying observant kids on ponies who kindly pointed out to me in front of everyone that I had no tax and it was illegal shock horror. A word of warning though I think the tax discs are running late too because mine still hasn't arrived but it will show on the system as taxed so if anyone says something you are just waiting on the disc arriving. If you are going to the post office you need the V5 and the current MOT cert with you (I did warn you that option is a palava)

Lanabelle Wed 14-May-14 14:09:12

I wouldn't worry about it, I teach a group of really annoying observant kids on ponies who kindly pointed out to me in front of everyone that I had no tax and it was illegal shock horror. A word of warning though I think the tax discs are running late too because mine still hasn't arrived but it will show on the system as taxed so if anyone says something you are just waiting on the disc arriving. If you are going to the post office you need the V5 and the current MOT cert with you (I did warn you that option is a palava)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now