Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Panic - baby, thrush, blood in cot!

(43 Posts)
2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 21:55:03

6 month baby who hasn't been struggling to feed and generally very grumpy and miserable. We saw a doctor today and he thinks DS has thrush, although the white marks are on underside of his tongue and the doctor couldn't actually see them! The white marks are definitely there as I have seen them and managed to get a photo of them.

Just checked on DS as he was crying and getting distressed and there is watery blood on the sheet. It looks quite a lot but probably isn't vey much.

Does this sound normal for thrush? The sight of the bloody has worried me a bit. Anyone else have this?

Locketjuice Tue 13-May-14 21:58:28

I would call out of hours and get him checked it could be uti which is so painful!
Hope he's ok! X

Locketjuice Tue 13-May-14 21:59:13

Where has the blood come from? Mouth or downstairs region?

leadrightfoot Tue 13-May-14 21:59:38

You need a professional medical opinion right now not an internet one

Get him seen.

Ronmione Tue 13-May-14 22:02:32

If it's from his mouth have a look to
See of you can see any cuts or grazes, depending on how much blood there is of course. My ds sucks his fingers and cut his mouth a bit with his nails. Might be worth just trying to see

2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 22:05:40

Thank you leadrightfoot for those words of wisdom. Moving on.

Blood has to have come from mouth as baby is in a gro bag and there is no sign of blood elsewhere. He was sucking his thumb so I wondered if he had irritated the areas of thrush.

I have looked on NHS site and apparently this is not unusual. I'm basically wanting to know if anyone else experienced this given how common thrush seems to be.

He is otherwise happy right now, has been smiling and is now feeding. If I thought for a minute he was in any danger I won't be on the internet. I'm just looking for some other peoples experiences of thrush.

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 13-May-14 22:06:50

Real life medical person call out of hours now

BerniesBurneze Tue 13-May-14 22:12:51

A little bit of blood is a lot for a baby, call 111

Littlebean13 Tue 13-May-14 22:24:55

I would second phoning 111, they were extremely helpful when I rang them a few months ago & at least it will put your mind at ease

Ronmione Tue 13-May-14 22:29:49

My ds had thrush quite badly when he was about 7 weeks but you could see a think layer on his tounge, but it didn't bleed. Did they give you anything for it?

Ronmione Tue 13-May-14 22:30:46

*thick

2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 22:36:51

ronmione it's mostly on the underside on his tongue, a little white on top but nothing significant. I've been prescribed medicine to give 4 times a day. Can't remember the name though.

I've been having a look in his mouth and I think he has scraped off the top white layer a little.

PrincessBabyCat Tue 13-May-14 22:39:40

Your baby is bleeding.

Call a doctor to be sure. It could be from his mouth. It could be from his lungs. It could be from his stomach. You don't know.

My baby was very much alert and "content" with a fever last night and we had to rush her to the hospital. I was happy and smiling with a 103* fever at 6 months old with pneumonia that quickly turned life threatening. Just because he's "happy" doesn't mean he's ok. Get him checked.

If I thought for a minute he was in any danger I won't be on the internet

You don't see blood as a serious problem. I don't trust your judgement on this.

SourSweets Tue 13-May-14 22:53:03

My baby had thrush and never any blood.

TheWorldAccordingToJC Tue 13-May-14 23:02:22

Christ don't go calling OOH.

Just check his mouth as best you can and see how he goes.

You're his mother. I don't know you from Adam but I'd trust your judgement

Ronmione Tue 13-May-14 23:03:41

You don't see blood as a serious problem. I don't trust your judgement on this.. That's harsh.

2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 23:06:37

My baby is not bleeding. There was a small amount of blood, mixed with what I think is saliva.

Clearly I have posted this incorrectly - I am not looking for scare stories or hysteria. Merely some support with thrush. I'll think twice before I post.

Obviously not all babies bleed with thrush, but some do. www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Oral-thrush---babies/Pages/symptoms.aspx

I have been at the doctors only a matter of a few hours ago, and yes I know babies change quickly, etc etc. however I do not feel that this is the case. I am not down playing the blood before I get lambasted for that.

So sorry for posting, I'll be keeping on eye on DS and contact GP again tomorrow.

2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 23:09:59

Thank you the world and ron,

Yes I thought the lack of judgement comment was harsh - but hey, good job I have faith on my own judgement and enough sense not to be bothered by patronising comments wink

TheWorldAccordingToJC Tue 13-May-14 23:10:16

Good plan 2plus.

Ignore the hysterical folk on here. Par for the course half the time. All he's done by the sounds of things , is catch his mouth with his thumb. Could be thrush related if he's been very sore.

It honestly doesn't need any attention tonight from what you describe so your approach is correct.

I'm sure that the daft comments will continue though from ' real life medical people '

Sheesh

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 13-May-14 23:13:35

The world I was not saying I am a real life medical person,I was saying that she needed to talk to a real life medical person.

AnyaKnowIt Tue 13-May-14 23:18:14

Dd never had thrush but I did use to fine watery blood on her sheets while she was teething. How are his gums?

Ronmione Tue 13-May-14 23:22:31

It's does just sound like he's caught his mouth a bit.

Your judgment sounds great to me!

2plus1plus1 Tue 13-May-14 23:23:35

Yes anya also teething. Bottom middle teeth have just cut through. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

I think there's a big difference between a small amount of pink drool and a baby actively bleeding fresh blood. The first I'd be keeping a close eye and the second I would be seeking urgent medical attention.
Op I've got 3 kids, all have had thrush as babies, none have ever bled from their mouths from it (although my third did actually have nappy rash so badly from it that it did have some pink tinged weeping) but clearly from the nhs website, in some babies it can cause bleeding. Ring the ooh helpine if you are really worried but I don't think it warrants a&e or anything dramatic from what you have described.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now