Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Some questions about DD birthday party

(53 Posts)
citruslemon Tue 13-May-14 17:34:05

Ok have finally decided what we are doing for DD birthday after looking into every option! We are having a teddy bears picnic at an amazing park/adventure playground that DD loves. Inviting all the kids from her class, friends from out of school and her cousins. Looking at about 20-25 depending on RSVPs.

Just needed help with a few things please!
- Although I will be taking snacks along for everyone to share (juice, crisps, biscuits, samosas etc), the idea is that everyone brings their own picnic. Is this ok?
- How do I word it on the invite that although I will have snacks people can/should bring their own picnic?
- What time do you think the party should start and end? We are thinking of a Sunday in mid June. 1 hour free play. Cake cutting, picnic plus some party games.
- Any suggestions for party games that we can have outdoors are greatly welcomed!

Thank you all so much. Your fab advice is always appreciated!!

justkeeponsmiling Tue 13-May-14 17:43:53

Your party sounds lovely, but I would say no to bringing own picnic, sorry! They won't need much anyway, I've always found over the years that kids are not really that interested in food anyway! I would just make a few sandwiches, bring some crisps, sausage rolls, maybe a couple of pizzas cooked and left to cool, cut into wedges and a few biccies - it won't cost much!
How old is your DD? Hard to recommend party games without knowing the age range. I always found up to the age of maybe 8 or so, 2 hours is enough for a kids party, unless you are doing a specific activity that takes longer, ie. cinema.
Hope you all have fun!

Hulababy Tue 13-May-14 17:45:35

How old is your DD?

Are children coming with or without a grown up?

TheAwfulDaughter Tue 13-May-14 17:46:04

I don't think you should invite her entire class if you don't have the time/can't afford to make them all a lunch.

Sounds a lovely idea though grin

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 17:50:17

I do think a kid's party should provide the food. As already said this doesn't have to be a huge spread as they'll be too busy playing to sit still for a proper feed.

ikeaismylocal Tue 13-May-14 17:52:52

Sounds like a fun party, but you really need to feed your guests, you can't expect them to bring their own picnic. You could just make a selection of sandwiches and cherry tomatoes, cucumber sticks and the chrisps, biscuits and somosas you were planning anyway.

If you do ask them to bring their own picnic I think it's only fair to state no gifts thank you on the invitation.

gamerchick Tue 13-May-14 17:54:13

yep, definitely no gifts wanted if you want them to bring their own food.. it's more like an organised day out rather than a birthday then.

LadyMacbethWasMisunderstood Tue 13-May-14 17:56:28

You definitely need to provide the food I'm afraid. Bring your own picnic is ok for pre schoolers. But not after that. Nothing elaborate at all. A couple of cool bags - cocktail sausages, pizza, fruit, crisps and the cake would do. But if you are doing the party you do have to do the food.

Only invite those you can cater for.

Also, at this age, I think ( and many will disagree) that the children will be disappointed not to get a party bag. A simple one is fine.

2 hours is fine. I'd suggest 2-4pm

Party games - duck duck goose is fun. Google it. Grandmothers footsteps would be good in a big space. There are lots of others. Mind a blank ATM. Have a google at party games for children in a big space.

Rounders?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 13-May-14 17:56:29

I'm assuming the play park is free? In which case I really think you need to provide lunch for everyone. Doesn't need to be complicated or too much. I would be a bit hmm about having to provide my dc's with food at a party especially as I'm likely to be spending £5-£10 on a gift.

orangepudding Tue 13-May-14 17:58:32

Agree that you need to supply food for the party. If you can't afford to feed the whole clas then invite less people.
You also need to decided what to do if it rains, especially of the parents leave the kids for the party.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 13-May-14 18:00:11

I too would say no to own picnic

I held ds party at a woodland school place where if you book in for the day you take your own packed lunch.

However as it was a party I provided sandwich bags for everyone

Brown paper bags were from home bargains & input a choice of ham or cheese sandwich, a bottle of fruit juice or water , a bag of crisps & a kitkat.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 13-May-14 18:01:12

Oh I also put a fruit bag (apple & grapes in ).

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 13-May-14 18:02:16

Good point about the weather maybe put on the invite "in the event of rain please call me on xxxx to find out if we are going to cancel"

DoItTooJulia Tue 13-May-14 18:05:23

What if it rains?

Yy, food needs to be provided and yy simple packed lunch is ideal.

And yy need to know dds age to recommend games.

WipsGlitter Tue 13-May-14 18:05:37

Yeah, no to own picnic. Especially if you're expecting presents! As others have said keep it simple. How old and are you expecting parents to stay? How are you going to keep them corralled?

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 13-May-14 18:10:47

I would also suggest you all meet together first for cake and party food and games and then go off for the free play I suspect trying to get 25 kids to all re group when they're all off in different directions on the adventure play will be a nightmare plus the ones that finish eating in 30 seconds flat will up and bugger off straight away.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 13-May-14 18:12:58

'there'll be lots of food, but if there's anything you particularly enjoy at a picnic, please do bring it along!'

NorksEnormous Tue 13-May-14 18:13:01

What age are the children? Will parents stay? It may be difficult keeping track of 25 children in free play in an adventure playground! Also you need to think about weather. And definitely feed your guests!!

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 13-May-14 18:14:58

I'm with everyone else. I would say absolutely no to bringing own picnic - if you can't afford to cater for everyone then don't invite them. Otherwise it's not a birthday party it's a play date at the park. And again the same as others, are you expecting parents to stay and supervise their own children? It's just not a party, sorry.

ruddynorah Tue 13-May-14 18:19:14

How old are these dc? Sounds a nightmare if theyre of running about age. How will you get them to do games with a playground distracting them? 25 kids is a heck of a lot. And asking them to bring food makes it a meet up not a party. I think a smaller group with special picnic provided would be better.

Crutchlow35 Tue 13-May-14 18:21:59

I have to agree, you can't invite people and expect them to bring their own food. Agree about a plan if it rains and generally, kids over 5 get left at all parties here so do you really want 25 kids in a park?

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 13-May-14 18:30:20

I had assumed the OP had booked the adventure playground & would be given a designated party area (you can do this at some theme parks)

If that's not the case then it's a terrible idea.

Discobugsacha Tue 13-May-14 18:32:13

Yes, you have to provide the food. It isn't a party if you don't. I would say 2 hours is a normal party time. Ihr free play, 30 mins eating and 30 mins party games?

Cluelessat30 Tue 13-May-14 19:40:27

What if you provided all the drinks and cake and everyone brings their own food? Make it clear on the invite you'll have plenty of cold drinks for children and adults alike, then all they have to do is br

Cluelessat30 Tue 13-May-14 19:42:08

Darn..

Bring the food. As someone already posted, kids don't really eat a lot, so let it be someone else's wasted sandwiches! The cake part should provide enough of the shared picnic element I should think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now