Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What can I do with essential oils?

(27 Posts)
FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 16:20:57

I impulse bought some essential oils from Holland & Barrett recently and I have no idea what to do with them. I got one lavender and one vanilla bottle.

I read you can add some drops to distilled water in a spray bottle and use as an air freshener, but I did this and the oil just sits on top of the water so doesn't really work. Also I know you can add it to baths but I'm not a massive bath lover.

Is there a better way to use them as room scents rather than the spray bottle thing? Are there any other good things I can use them for?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Tue 13-May-14 16:24:15

Yes.

Next time you use a can (baked beans or whatever), keep the can and wash it up. Light a tea light on a plate, put the can upside-down over it and pour some oil onto the top (which used to be the bottom) of the can.

Will smell lovely!

Obviously wear oven mitts next time you touch the can.

smile

ProfessorBranestawm Tue 13-May-14 16:24:38

Make your own massage oil by getting a 'carrier' oil

Make your own salt or sugar scrubs - my mum used to do this and I'm planning to try soon.

With baths, BTW, it works best if you put the oil in a cup of milk and then add that to the bath. After having my babies I did tea tree and lavender baths, was lovely smile

As for scenting the room, you could use a tea light oil burner smile just put a few drops in some water on top, light a candle underneath.

squoosh Tue 13-May-14 16:26:45

I love burning essential oils, much nicer than synthetic candle smells.

FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 16:27:24

King that's a great idea. I didn't think of oil burner things!

I might actually try a bath now, with lavender. I get bored after 5 minutes though grin

you have to add alcohol, like vodka, to fix the oils if you use it as an air freshener. That's what I did anyway and it always worked. Has to be something clear like vodka, I always found vodka best myself

ProfessorBranestawm Tue 13-May-14 16:29:56

Oats are nice in the bath - put some in a muslin or a stocking/tights type thing, place it under the tap while it's running and it makes the bath all milky. I might do that but put some oil in with the oats, not sure if that'd work.

I have learned to love baths recently grin

VenusDeWillendorf Tue 13-May-14 16:31:48

Put 10 drops into your shower gel, and also your shampoo, and also your body lotion, and also your hand wash.

Drop a few drops into the shower tray when your in there, or onto a wet face cloth and onto a radiator.

You can put the lavander into your iron water, and the vanilla would be lovely to use in a carrier oil for massage.

The lavender can be used for cake icing- just a few drops into the icing when making it- its surprisingly nice on buns!

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Tue 13-May-14 16:33:10

Vodka air freshener?

shock

Ooooo, we have such good tips on MN!

grin

Won't even need the oils. Just vodka is fine.

wink

redexpat Tue 13-May-14 16:33:15

You can add them to almond oil to massage with. Almond is a base oil, there are others but I cant remember them.

The body shop used to have ceramic rings that sit on top of a lightbulb (if you have a lamp somewhere) that you could put the oil in, and it would heat up and scent the room.

Which oils did you buy?
Rosemary is stimulating, good for memory.
Lavendar relaxes.
Rose I think relaxes.
Peppermint is so refreshing.

FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 16:33:16

Great ideas, thank you Venus.

I'll try the vodka thing, I think I have some in the cellar!

FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 16:34:35

Redexpat the ring things sound good. I'll see if I can find some! I got vanilla as I'm obsessed with the smell and lavender because it was buy one get one half price and i didn't know what else to get grin

You only need a bit of vodka (unless you don't mind your house smelling like a pub wink) just enough to fix the oils so they mix with the water, if that makes any sense?

FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 16:34:58

So do I mix with vodka first then with the water?

BerniesBurneze Tue 13-May-14 16:36:21

Add some to cotton balls and place inside hoover bag/cylinder

I just put it all in the bottle and shook! I never had a special technique for mixing them but it always seemed to work

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Tue 13-May-14 16:53:32

Lavender can be used neat on skin, but the vanilla needs diluted. Lavender can be used for a multitude of purposes on the skin, including on cuts, grazes, burns, eczema, for headaches, just to relax etc.

You can place a few drops (Lavender) on your pillow or a tissue near the bed head to help you drift off at night.

For alternative uses for both: few drops added to a bath, or the shower base, in an oil burner, as a diffuser, added to a base oil (grapeseed, almond, apricot kernal, avocado, wheatgerm etc) and used for either perfume or a massage oil. You can also buy shampoo/conditioner/body lotion etc. bases which are just plain and then add the essential oils into them. You could make your own scented candles or soaps too if you wished.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Tue 13-May-14 16:56:24

Apologies for double post. I also forgot that you can get a muslin bag and fill it with cotton or other types of fillings, add a few drops of your essential oils and use it in your clothes drawers. Alternatively if you've a scrap piece of cloth or anything you can add the oils directly to it then place in drawers/wardrobe etc.

FelixFelix Tue 13-May-14 17:02:56

I've just looked at the bottles and the lavender is pure essential oil but the vanilla is a 'blend' and I'm not sure what that means!

May have to buy some different ones to try out all of these ideas grin

ProfessorBranestawm Tue 13-May-14 17:07:46

I don't have any in ATM but the ones I'll be getting (mostly due to remembering them from when mum used them) are:

Lavender
Tea tree
Peppermint
Mandarin
Lemongrass
Eucalyptus
Grapefruit

I know she used to have stuff like ylang ylang, bergamot etc too but can't remember what they are like - I always preferred the fruity ones generally grin

fiorentina Tue 13-May-14 17:08:03

If you add milk to the bath it helps the oils disperse a little not sit on the top of the water.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Tue 13-May-14 17:08:44

The vanilla may have a base oil (like jojoba) mixed in with it.
Lavender is common as a pure essential oil (it and tea tree are the only two EOs you can use neat on your skin). Everything else should be diluted e.g., in a bath or blended in a base oil before use.

AlwaysLookOnBrightsideOfLife Tue 13-May-14 17:11:37

professor Bergamot's lovely an uplifting. Slightly citrusy almost. It's an uplifting and stimulating oil. Great for energizing.
Ylang ylang is meant to be great for hair and skin.

Felix what types of scents do you usually like? Is there any effect you'd like from your oils e.g., uplifting, relaxing, calming, stimulating etc?

ProfessorBranestawm Tue 13-May-14 17:15:57

Thanks Always. I am gradually making our diet more natural and less processed/chemically, so I figured I would try to do the same with skin care and that sort of thing smile

Lioninthesun Tue 13-May-14 17:20:25

If you have any old lavender bags in your chests of drawers you can add a few drops of lavender oil to refresh. Someone said you can put a dab into lightbulbs to heat up and smell nice when lights are on. You can also put some into the washer when you do a hot wash to clean or instead of fabric conditioner. I tried this recently with tea tree oil after a batch of washing was left in overnight and smelt just a tiny bit funky the next morning - worked a treat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now