Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Oh dear ds2 (12) shaved his eybrows then ....

(45 Posts)

tried to fill them in with black permanent marker pen!!!!!!

ds2, does have quite thick very dark eyebrows, he always has done, but then his hair is almost black as well.

The other day we were messing about and he said I needed to have my tache, I very maturely responded at least I haven't got a monobrow! well he obviously took this to heart.

This morning he woke me up saying omg mum look what someone has one to my eyebrows. I looked up to see patchy eyebrows with thick black marker pen drawn over them. He swore blind that someone must have done it in his sleep, well there's only one other person in the house who would do that, and that's ds2 (16). I shouted to wake him up and he denied it, meanwhile I made ds2 use baby wipes and soap and flannel to try and get the marker off.

Admittedly whilst patchy once the marker was off, they look a lot better, I've sent him off to school after filling in the balder patches with my eyebrow pencil. He did admit eventually that he had done it himself as he was fed up of his bushy eyebrows.

I'm so cruel as soon as he left ds1 and myself burst out laughing. I have made him an appointment with my beautician for Thursday to try and do something with them.

How long will they take to grow back do you think? My eyebrows grow quite quickly, I have them waxed every 4 weeks, but really need doing twice a month, but obviously that's the outlines and shaping with the odd straggler not random holes in my brows.

grumblepuss Tue 13-May-14 13:46:33

Bahahahahaha!!!
Sorry not helpful... At least he won't do it again.

I reckon at least 6 weeks for full regrowth

gosh really as long as that. oh dear. I felt really bad this morning as he was crying. I will be much more careful of what I say to him in future. The thing is he hadn't even touched the monobrow bit.

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 13:49:30

No need to visit beautician, hell only feel more self conscious.

They'll grow back soon enough.

Better to make up a fun story to his school chums about him opening the oven door and they got singed rather than giving fuel to be bullied about his insecurity about his brows.

Men are meant to have full brows. You were only jesting about his mono row but he is nearly a teenager and you have to be careful about playful teasing as they can become hyper sensitive at that age and take things the wrong way.

DH has bushy brows - the hairdresser deals with them - combs them upwards then trims along the top sort of. Please don't get them waxed by a beautician unless you want him to look v v feminine.

I just wondered if there was anything he could do such as tinting the balder patches to make them look more even rather than shaping.

I'm sending her a photo tonight so she can see what she think.

She's honest and I trust her to only say she can do something if she can. (she told me no need for Botox, and other treatments before, so I know she's not just out to get ££)

Fenton Tue 13-May-14 13:59:17

Oh dear. 12 year old's can be very sensitive can't they, I bet you feel rotten. you should do

Don't bother with the beautician, that could end up being more mortifying than his day at school today, which, by the way he just has to get past that and he will start to feel better.

I did a similar thing at about the same age. I 'trimmed' one side then the other to even up, then took a bit more off the first - you get the picture.

They grew back fairly quickly IIRC, I got through it by just telling the truth and making a bit of fun out of it. A suitable colour eyebrow pencil smudged over the area might take the eye off it a bit.

You live and learn to keep your mouth shut wink

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 14:00:17

"at least I dont have a monobrow" - you cruel woman! shock

AlpacaLypse Tue 13-May-14 14:02:01

Isn't it dispiriting that boys and girls this age feel the need to worry about their appearance?

deakymom Tue 13-May-14 14:02:40

vaseline encourages eyebrows to grow back my daughter is a self harmer and rips hers out so vaseline them and trim them a little so whats left looks neater plus the short hairs won't look so out of place x

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 14:03:13

My son is also 12, I cant say anything about his appearance, other than a cheerful "hello gorgeous!" when he comes home from school.

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 14:04:00

Please don't. It will be obvious to other children that he has had a cosmetic applied and he could end up having the piss ripped ou of him!

Better to man up and invent some story as to why they've been shaved if anyone does ask!

He could say his 'cousin' did it in his sleep for a laugh and then he'll save face, rather than wearing eyebrow pencil which will make him lose street cred if it's noticed he's wearing make up!

By phoning the beautician you are sending him the wrong message and he was right to fret about his appearance in the first place!

I'm not condoning lying but a bit of saving face would be best for the boy.

My son walked through a patio door when he was little, resulting in the glass giving him a cut on his forehead. He was upset but I told him to say that Harry Potter has a magic scar too and that was that, no more fretting over it!

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 14:05:24

Getting him to go to a beautician is projecting your vanity on him although I understand you just want to make him feel better.

He's learnt his lesson and won't tamper with them again.

DIYtrainee Tue 13-May-14 14:05:56

With hair loss you can get temporary tattoos that are eyebrow shaped, but not sure how good they are just for filling in gaps. The whole thing may need to be heavily trimmed, so that it's less obvious as it grows back. THAT should be done by the professional!!!

I just wanted to help him out and make him feel better while hey grow back. He's not normally a vain child so it does come as a shock to me.

In my defence he said I had a moustache!!!! I'd just had the bloody thing waxed off so I didn't. It was all said in a jokey manner and whilst laughing and play fighting, so I didn't think anymore of it.

God now I've traumatised him for life haven't I?

oops, in my op should say shave my tache not have blush

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 13-May-14 14:18:45

Playground scenario one

"Hey! What's up with your eyebrows?"

Your son laughs and says,

"My cousin shaved them when he slept over! I'm getting back next time by putting my mums nail varnish on his nails when he's asleep!"

"Ha ha, good one! Wanna play football?"

Playground scenario two

"Hey! What's up with your eyebrows?"

Looks embarrassed and stares at his feet and mumbles,

"Er, I shaved um them off as they looked too hairy and er my mum took me to have them drawn in!"

"OMG! So you're wearing MAKE UP?!"

Son goes beet root red.

"Er yes I am".

"Ha ha ha you're gay! HEY LOOK EVERYONE, FRED IS WEARING MAKE UP!"

Crowd gathers to point and laugh.

TessTackle Tue 13-May-14 14:21:16

You can tell him from me that my DP has thick black eyebrows and they make me weak at the knees.

He's a big rugby player and quite popular and can handle himself at school. I think he's likely to answer anyone asking by saying his brother shaved them in his sleep.

Fenton Tue 13-May-14 14:23:53

Bit inappropriate Tess. hmm

grin

thanks Tess

they might be thick and dark but they suit him, he'd look silly with lighter brows due to his dark dark hair. We are white Caucasian but he has really dark hair similar to a Mediterranean background, you know that thick glossy Italian dark hair type. Have no idea where it comes from as mine is mousey, thin and wavy and his dads is mousey wiry and curly.

I know tess was trying to make it better grin

BookieTubules Tue 13-May-14 14:55:19

Next time the correct response is, "Chin up son, the cougars on Mumsnet will be jumping on you as just as you are."

Fenton Tue 13-May-14 15:37:29

Yes, that's sure to give him nightmares a boost.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now