Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If a person without Asthma breathes into a Peak Flow Machine, what level would they be at?

(29 Posts)
QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 12:33:15

I am just wondering whether my lungs are really bad or not.

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 15:06:28

Think so

hellymelly Tue 13-May-14 14:48:54

1.73 is 5 foot eight isn't it?

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 14:40:43

Well, we are trying to work out if I am asthmatic.
I had a terrible chest infection with a barking cough after Easter, and gp gave me a course of antibiotics, steroids and ventolin to use. I had a bubbling crackling chest, and difficulty filling my longs and breathing out resulted in terrible coughing fits. After 5 days this was reviewed, and I was given preventer inhaler for morning, no more steroid tablets, steroid nasal spray and antihistamines (which I stopped duty drowsyness) for hayfever, and an appointment with asthma nurse.

The last time I had a chest infection was 6 years ago, and then I also ended up with steroid tablets and inhaler to help ease my chest.
I have not needed anything for pollen allergy for 6 years either. Before then I was always taking allergy spray in spring/summer.

Went for my first exercise session today since I got ill, and it went fine, but felt that I were not getting enough air at times. But I dont know if that could be related to my fitness being crap after being ill and not exercising since before Easter.

Sidge Tue 13-May-14 14:34:22

If you're asthmatic, on a preventer inhaler and have a low morning PEFR and are symptomatic then you need your inhalers reviewing.

It's not always what the actual reading is, but what's normal for you. But a significant variability between readings can mean asthma is a possibility, or asthma isn't under control.

Sidge Tue 13-May-14 14:32:04

It depends on your age, sex and height.

A peak flow reading alone cannot diagnose asthma.

Someone with well controlled asthma can have a 'normal' peak flow reading.

Someone without asthma can have a low peak flow reading.

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 14:14:56

I am 1.73 so 5ft ish, and 42 years old.

kittykarate Tue 13-May-14 14:07:39

Your age/height also affects the expected peak flow. e.g. if your 5ft tall you end up with smaller lungs than someone 6ft tall.

So I tend to blow 390 -> 430 normally, but as I'm 5ft tall and 41 that's pretty much 'normal'.

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 14:02:20

So 350 to 420 is really not very good.

Could it be down to fitness levels?

I am always so short of breath when walking up the really steep part of mountains, and feel bad for needing to stop and catch my breath at regular intervals.

Now I am confused, is it asthma which is the problem, or my fitness levels?

Em3978 Tue 13-May-14 13:53:52

I'm 35, been asthmatic all my life and I get 550 on a normal day, if it drops below 450 I worry. This often confuses health professionals because I'm not meant to be able to blow that much!

When i was first assessed for asthma, I hit 200. I now hit 300/350 on a good day. I am a smoker but in the process of giving up. I'm not a heavy smoker though, ten a day max, usually less

NeverendingPotato Tue 13-May-14 13:18:22

I just went to the docs yesterday as I suspect I have asthma, I blew 350, she said at my age (39) she would expect 550-600 so it suggests there is a problem.

If I have asthma it's been untreated since I was at least 9. ds had all the same things I did which is why I think I have it.

Thistledew Tue 13-May-14 13:14:40

My peak flow is around 550. 34 yrs old, fairly fit, asthmatic.

I have asthma and hit 450 on a good day.

Df is a 65 year old smoker and usually hits 550 ish because it blows to the end of the scale and bounces back down shock

Pisses me right offangry

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 12:50:07

Yeah, possibly, Posthoc! wink

I had been to the same website myself already, and did not make sense of whether the values are normal for an asthmatic or normal for a non-asthmatic. Especially because different charts say different things.

I want to compare my readings to a non asthmatic reading.

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Tue 13-May-14 12:49:43

My flute teacher taught me some exercises that are supposed to increase lung capacity. The only one I can remember is standing next to a wall facing it, put a small piece of paper on the wall and then blow on it to keep it where it is. Also I think swimming is supposed to help with lung capacity.

Sadpuppy Tue 13-May-14 12:45:22

Is there a chart like that Wiki one for children?
tia

maras2 Tue 13-May-14 12:44:59

Mine's 600.Non smoker,no asthma,age 60,wind instrument player.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Tue 13-May-14 12:44:54

I think mine says normal peak flow values doesn't it? It's just an asthma related website. Did I mess up my snarky LMGTFY?

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 12:43:54

I dont smoke.

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 12:43:41

So, I do in the region of 350 in the morning before preventer inhaler.
410 in the evening just before bed.

QuintessentiallyQS Tue 13-May-14 12:42:04

So PostHocs link is normal values for a person with asthma, and Future Supremes link gives value for people without asthma?

LtEveDallas Tue 13-May-14 12:40:40

I'm a 41 year old smoker and did 380 last Tuesday. Thats pretty poor judging by the SIOB the nurse did.

PostHocErgoPropterHoc Tue 13-May-14 12:40:19

I never get any idea of the number when I do it at the GPs, they just tell me to have another go and give a vague idea of whether it's any good or not.

thegreylady Tue 13-May-14 12:38:36

I have asthma and 300 is really good for me sad

stargirl1701 Tue 13-May-14 12:37:16

DH used mine last night. He got 690! Mine is an average of 400 when I'm well.

I think men and women differ. Men have larger lung capacity?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now