Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What with this pesto and pasta phase?

(23 Posts)
PirateJones Tue 13-May-14 12:10:40

All the 6 year olds i know seem to be addicted to the stuff, really strange, where has this love of it come from?

my 8yr old loves the stuff too, she's taken it in her packed lunch today.

I like it but not as much as she does.

She complains because I add green veg to it (broccoli, green beans, peas and spinach) and her friends at school literally just have pesto and pasta)

EyelinerQueen Tue 13-May-14 12:14:56

My 5 and a half year old won't touch it. She thinks it smells revolting and looks like blended frogs hmm grin.

Which sucks because it would be a very handy dinner to add to the rotation.

thekingfisher Tue 13-May-14 12:16:42

ha ha pasta pesto has a been a food staple for my son for about 6 years so this is no passing fad! ( he is 11 )

Its the bas for about a million other meals I make or incorporate into it…

Really nice to stir in philly and add some chopped ham or cremefraiche and some roasted toms

yum yum!

thekingfisher Tue 13-May-14 12:16:51

bas=basis

drivenfromdistraction Tue 13-May-14 12:17:33

My 6yo likes it as a sandwich spread, with cheese and ham filling!

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Tue 13-May-14 12:23:27

My DD2 gets so excited when it's pesto pasta night especially if it is green pesto. I add spinach and other veg which she knows about and she still loves it. Getting veg into her in any other way is impossible!

ConcreteElephant Tue 13-May-14 12:31:15

Pasta pesto peas and cheese... My two would live off this. It's a great one if they're feeling a bit tired or under the weather as I know they'll eat it. If I'm feeling very exotic we have red pesto and sweetcorn oooh get me.

KellyElly Tue 13-May-14 12:34:36

I've eaten it for years and I'm 35! My DD's love of it comes from me I guess. Also in times when food is so expensive it's a cheap and relatively healthy meal (apart from all the grated cheddar cheese we add).

Geraldthegiraffe Tue 13-May-14 12:35:38

Yup a favorite here too. Has to be green though!

tealady Tue 13-May-14 12:36:49

Hmm - hate to tell you this but my 16 year old is still in a pesto phase 10 years on!

everlong Tue 13-May-14 12:37:33

Where has it come from?!?

Have had it for 30 odd years grin lovely with butter and cooked bacon and tomatoes.

BeCool Tue 13-May-14 12:42:31

oh I am dreaming of the day my two will eat pesto. They love pasta, but aren't loving pesto yet.

LalyRawr Tue 13-May-14 12:46:07

My two year old loves it.

Impressed the waiter no end at an Italian when she asked for "Pesto pasta please!"

We normally have just pesto & pasta, though sometimes add ham and/or cherry tomatoes.

Haahoooo Tue 13-May-14 12:47:47

I love pasta with pesto. Would like to start serving it to my toddler more often actually. Can I ask: do people make their own pesto? Is shop bought very unhealthy?

I use jars or make my own, I think my own is probably not very authentic, put in the blitzer, handfuls of basil, pecorino cheese, pinenuts and add a glug of olive oil, blitz it, check consistency, usually need to add bit more olive oil. add to cooked and drained pasta, or gnocchi.

RabbitPies Tue 13-May-14 12:56:38

I find it odd that so many children love it. It's green,has 'bits' in it,and very strongly flavoured. I know that some children like 'unusual' flavours. I was a seafood addict as a child,but it seems that most love it.

Has anyone tried making it without cheese? I quite like it ,but do find myself thinking that I might love it even more without the cheese,which I find a little overpowering.

Geraldthegiraffe Tue 13-May-14 12:59:12

We tend to add cheese for protein, and some veg as just pesto and pasta, while yummy isn't really a full meal.

It goes great in a lunch box cold the next day.

TheWholeOfTheSpoon Tue 13-May-14 12:59:27

We are a family divided when it comes to pesto pasta. 3 of us love it and the other 3 refer to it as "pooh pasta", as apparently it THAT vile to them. Bloody kids grin

PirateJones Tue 13-May-14 16:18:02

I find it odd that so many children love it. It's green,has 'bits' in it,and very strongly flavoured. I know that some children like 'unusual' flavours. I was a seafood addict as a child,but it seems that most love it.

I KNOW!
Maybe it's becuase it apparently looks like bogies.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Tue 13-May-14 16:24:10

My 9 month old loves it and would probably eat it every day if I let him, he's not even bothered if its red or green.
So I'm going to be making it forever. Lol

BigusBumus Tue 13-May-14 16:30:33

My 3 boys all under 12 love it. I add broccoli and cooked sausages chopped up into it though. Dead easy. They also love what we call Garlic Bread Pasta, which is pasta with Lurpak Garlic & Herbs Butter stirred in. Simples! grin

Geraldthegiraffe Tue 13-May-14 16:45:05

Oooh garlic bread pasta sounds perfect!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now