Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What would you buy a 21 year old male for his birthday?

(32 Posts)
EasyCube Mon 12-May-14 23:27:23

He doesn't drink and does not wear jewelry

I#d like to get him something he will remember but have no idea what to get

CundtBake Mon 12-May-14 23:28:41

Came on to say booze.

Tough one.

Posh aftershave? An 'experience day'? Gift cards?

CorusKate Mon 12-May-14 23:31:23

What's his relation to you?

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 12-May-14 23:32:28

What's your budget?

EasyCube Mon 12-May-14 23:33:46

buget is £500

EasyCube Mon 12-May-14 23:34:12

His mum

DramaAlpaca Mon 12-May-14 23:38:25

I'm watching with interest - DS1 will be 21 this year.

Could you ask him what he'd like?

My DS1 just turned 21 and we gave him some money (not tha much tho!)
He has an old car to run and wanted it for MOT /breakdown type costs.

Otherwise I'd have probably got him a new phone as his is sellotaped together!

With my DD1 I had a photo book put together via my macbook with funny quotes, pics from friends bits from her blog and stuff others have said about her.. her life so far... Boys tend to be trickier tho I agree!

defineme Mon 12-May-14 23:44:55

You could get him a holiday with that much ... seriously wouldn't he like a few days somewhere lovely-if he has a dp you could arrange it with them. Or tickets to a festival? Racing car driving experience? What are his interests?
I know something to keep is traditional, but I don't think 21yrs care too much about that. But if you want to go down that road something useful that can be engraved.

CorusKate Mon 12-May-14 23:44:59

What is he doing? Working, studying, graduating?

CommunistLegoBloc Mon 12-May-14 23:49:13

A watch? That's traditional. Or a holiday for him and a friend / girlfriend?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 12-May-14 23:50:02

Ipad.

Agree with a trip away!

Salazar Mon 12-May-14 23:50:30

Can he drive?

zipzap Mon 12-May-14 23:55:56

I've given the robot clocks from Paperchase in similar circumstances to males of all ages - they're not too expensive, quite small but weighty and feel nice quality, have a good retro feel to them and sit quite happily on a shelf or desk and as they have a clock in they seem useful rather than just being an ornament.

All of them have been very well received, most of the men have said that they love robots and have a small collection of them already (or quite large in on case!) so it seems a genuine rather than polite 'thank you' iyswim!

www.paperchase.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=robot+clock

They have some other little clocks too if he is into other stuff - juke box, camera, etc

Alternatively how about a nice pen from a cult pen shop? www.cultpens.com/acatalog/Pilot-Hi-Tec-C-Coleto-5-Gel-Multipen.html
These pens are a bit like the old bic pens with 4 different colours in - except you get to choose from 15 different colours - adn you can put 4 or 5 colours in there.
The shop has loads of other nice stationery too.

About how much do you want to spend? (sorry, should have asked that at the start!)

zipzap Mon 12-May-14 23:57:47

Oops. Cross posted and missed your budget by a mile grin

Well, if you end up giving him a cheque - the robot clock has little hands that hold a pen so would make a very good delivery mechanism for handing a cheque over so there was also something little and fun to unwrap too!

CorusKate Tue 13-May-14 00:01:29

Does he like clothes? It might be a while before he can afford things like a nice coat or really good smart shoes from his own budget, and good quality should last.

I'm not convinced by a watch for a 21 year old. It would be symbolic, like a tankard, for most 21 year olds now, I think.

CorusKate Tue 13-May-14 00:02:02

Obviously he would have to choose the clothes; you'd just be providing the means grin

Floralnomad Tue 13-May-14 00:08:54

My DS was 21 this year ,also doesn't drink or wear jewellery . We had no idea so gave him £500 of premium bonds . We had thought of a holiday but he is in his final year at uni and it wasn't convenient ,but we did pay for him to go to Russia for his 20 th birthday.

PigletJohn Tue 13-May-14 00:10:36

is he working?

CommunistLegoBloc Tue 13-May-14 00:11:39

But it's meant to be something you keep forever - I think a watch will always be functional and useful.

If you don't want a forever present then iPad is an option. £500 just seems like a lot of money to spend on something which is essentially disposable though. I'd go for forever present or a 'memory making' experience like a day out or a holiday.

CakeUpWall Tue 13-May-14 00:14:44

I bought my nephew a very expensive nice chess set. He seemed happy with it . may have been being polite though

Dumpylump Tue 13-May-14 00:16:48

It depends on what he's into....I don't agree that a watch would just be symbolic. If he likes his labels you could get a very nice "designer" watch for that amount of money.
My best friends son was 21 last year, I have known him since he was born so wanted to get him something he'd really like. i struggled to think of something, but ended up giving him a pair of classically cool sunglasses. They went down very well!

EasyCube Tue 13-May-14 00:20:10

I got him a watch on his 18th so no new watch is required as yet

I have suggested a weekend away type holiday with me or a friend or his new girlfriend

Will that be a good enough present though?

Funnyfishface Tue 13-May-14 00:21:58

Playstation 4, ipad, money, watch, money towards laptop,

My son 23 and for his 21 gave money, both sons got watches for 18th.

Money towards car

Mine would not have appreciated chess set, haha no offence. Mine don't wear jewellery. They do drink but I don't think its appropriate.

Boys are so hard to buy for. But they do love money x

CorusKate Tue 13-May-14 00:49:26

If I'd been given money for my 21st I'd have squirrelled it away in savings or spunked it on some crap. Nevertheless, I'd have loved to have been given the money. But I wouldn't have bought something permanent or a treasured keepsake, which is what's traditional for a 21st.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now