Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can I keep my child off school to ensure his safety?

(36 Posts)
OffSchool Mon 12-May-14 21:14:55

Nc as details recognisable.

Dc was hit in the face today with sports equipment during a supervised lunchtime activity. Dc has sustained injury to their face and teeth.

Whilst this was the worst incident, this is the fourth time dc has been hit in the face this academic year.

While we are both upset, dh is also fuming and saying he wants dc to stay off school until school can assure dc safety.

Can we do this?and if so, how do we go about it? I would educate at home in the mean time but we would not formally being deregistering. I am happy to collect work from school. (If they would be willing to provide this?)

We also have two other dc at the school but they are in a different playground and have not been hurt so don't feel that they are at risk the same way. Would this makes difference?

Thanks for any advice.

(Also, if you recognise me, please pm and do not post details on this thread. I do not wish to name the school or ages or location to protect both the schools and our privacy. Thanks)

OffSchool Mon 12-May-14 22:17:32

Thanks serin.

KaFayOLay Mon 12-May-14 22:17:57

You could pull the child out of all physical activities and have him home for lunchtime.

Would he/she be happy with that?

Is it the child who is unhappy/anxious or you and your dh?

I work in an all boys school, I am staggered by the amount of boys on crutches at any given time. Without fail, they are sports related injuries.

feathermucker Mon 12-May-14 22:19:29

Sorry, sounds like accidents to me and that your DC has just been unlucky.

I appreciate it's upsetting (I have a 7year old who is massively accident-prone), but, short of banning all lunchtime activities, probably not much you can do.

BritInTDot Mon 12-May-14 22:21:29

I have an accident prone DS. he has been sent home numerous times because of accidents at school, and been to A&E and the emergency dentist for playground/schoolbus/PE accidents. It's upsetting, but I don't expect the school to be able to do more than they already do. Kids get hurt. There are inherent risks in all physical activity and play. Stopping then from participating hurts them in the long run.

Mybellyisaneasteregg Mon 12-May-14 22:21:57

I thought children could go home for lunch? This would be better than staying out of school altogether. You would just need to bring him back in time for the afternoon registration.

I don't think yabu. Some children are unfortunately more accident prone.

cakesonatrain Mon 12-May-14 22:24:41

Were your dc's other injuries also from this supervised activity, or just playtime?
What I'm getting at is, do you/DH believe the school's supervision of sports activities to be poor, or is your dc just unlucky? Or being bullied?

Coconutty Mon 12-May-14 22:27:59

UABU but I'm sure you know this now.

I'm sorry he has been hurt but tbh accidents happen. 15-2 is a perfectly fine ratio.

candycoatedwaterdrops Mon 12-May-14 22:39:37

Lower junior school, so he's about 7/8?

TheCraicDealer Mon 12-May-14 22:40:50

My head was like a magnet to footballs when I was in primary school (late 90's), I broke my arm walking to pick up the bat playing rounders. My parents obviously knew about the break but the smaller, less significant stuff wasn't reported to them. I guess now with parents saying, "why wasn't I informed?", and schools erring on the side of caution, there's the chance you imbue the event with more significance that it deserves. Adults rarely get struck in the head during an average day but it's par for the course in playgrounds. It's part of growing up.

Assuming that it was a genuine accident that occurred during the course of a normal game, I'm not sure else they could do. The only grounds you would have for inadequate supervision would be if there weren't enough adults or if children were playing with the sticks in a way that was contrary to how they were supposed to be used and staff did nothing to get them to stop. I think you need to decide if DC's upset (are they actually upset?) at the risk of a minor bump or scratch is worth pulling them out of break times and games. Which are, let's face it, are the best part of school life.

PirateJones Tue 13-May-14 02:22:53

And I don't have my head set about keeping dc off. Even if I did, how would this equate to using the school for childcare.

Nothing, You took offence when i mentioned that so i decided to not mention it again.

PrincessBabyCat Tue 13-May-14 02:59:29

Yep. Kids get hurt at recess. Not sure what you want the school to do about it.

I was constantly in the nurses office for scraping knees, falling off the EQ, walking into doors. I broke my teeth running around on the pavement.

Tell DC to duck or put their hands up next time. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now