Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What would you think if someone brought reduced-to-clear cakes to a coffee & catch-up?

(66 Posts)
gutted2014 Mon 12-May-14 20:38:46

I'm going round to a friend's house tomorrow with my DSes a coffee & a catch-up & to let the boys play (each 3 boys, aged 5, 3, 2 months grin) When I get invited round to anybody's house, I always like to take a packet of cakes as a contribution - in the same way that I'd take wine & chocs if invited to dinner iyswim.

I went to Tesco tonight, as I try to go once a fortnight or so to pick up end-of-date reduced items (get loads of meat/fish/bakery/fruit & veg at 25% of original price or less). In my haul tonight I got a pack of bakery double choc muffins reduced from £1 to 10p. But I can't decide whether it is acceptable to gift these to somebody else! In our house, we pretty much disregard the dates & just see if it smells/looks/feels/tastes OK, but I know not everybody is like that.

So, if I came round to yours with a pack of reduced muffins, what would you say?

Bluestocking Mon 12-May-14 20:39:29

I would think you were a canny bargain hunter!

BobTheFly Mon 12-May-14 20:40:11

Take them out the packaging and into a Tupperware and say you made them!

ChairOfTheBored Mon 12-May-14 20:40:32

I'd say "thank you, these look lovely"

WhatWouldFreddieDo Mon 12-May-14 20:40:36

Same as Bluestocking!

If you're not sure about the reaction, could you just decant them into a tupperware?

BumPotato Mon 12-May-14 20:40:38

I'd think yay muffins!

lels99 Mon 12-May-14 20:40:52

Take the reduced label off, they will never know!

BikeRunSki Mon 12-May-14 20:40:54

I'd be glad you'd bought chocolate muffins.

EatShitDerek Mon 12-May-14 20:40:57

I'd wonder why you hadn't let me know about the bargain grin

sonlypuppyfat Mon 12-May-14 20:41:07

I suppose it depends on the company you keep, my friends would be fine with it.

littlewhitebag Mon 12-May-14 20:41:19

I would say 'yum' and stuff them in my face. grincake

Flexiblefriend Mon 12-May-14 20:41:30

I would think, oh good, she bought muffins! If this is your friend I'm guessing you know her well enough to have an idea what she will think?

PennySillin Mon 12-May-14 20:42:05

I would decant them into another container and then tell your friend you had to bring them in this as they were reduced and you couldn't let her see the packaging wink

MrsEricBana Mon 12-May-14 20:42:18

So you're giving them tomorrow and will say best before today? Wouldn't be worried about health aspect but might think bit cheap of you! Put them on a plate then take.

Doodleloomoo Mon 12-May-14 20:42:20

I would probably take the reduced sticker off it poss, but would take them. I would never sneer at someone giving me cake!

jan2014 Mon 12-May-14 20:42:23

i agree put them into tupperware if you don't know the friends well enough to think they wouldn't mind, but if my friends done that i would be impressed they found a bargain wouldn't bother me in the slightest!

Yama Mon 12-May-14 20:42:58

I would be glad that you were comfortable enough to bring reduced items to my house.

calzone Mon 12-May-14 20:43:04

I am the Queen of Reduced Food Bargains.

Waitrose is my usual haunt.

I would be thrilled. gringringrinAnd I would tell you so.

I constantly buy stuff for people that is reduced.....tis a challenge!

I took a £10 M&S cake into the staffroom last week whicj I got for £1.....smilesmilebargain!

Nocomet Mon 12-May-14 20:43:28

Surely you just pull off the reduced sticker and say nothing.

MrsAtticus Mon 12-May-14 20:43:45

i'd be perfectly happy, but yes, decant if in doubt!

WooWooOwl Mon 12-May-14 20:44:30

If they're still going to be in date on the day they are eaten then no problem.

If they had yesterday's date on them I'd think you were being a bit cheap, even though rationally I'd know that the muffins were going to be fine to eat.

DuckSongRocks Mon 12-May-14 20:44:51

I would think "I picked a good friend here who brings chocolate muffins when invited round - result!".

I'm pretty greedy like that and would be more interested to get them on plates and make brews pronto over worrying who paid what for muffins. It's the gesture surely.

Enjoy smile

DaffodilsandTruffles Mon 12-May-14 20:45:10

I'd say 'thank you very much'

PavlovtheCat Mon 12-May-14 20:45:11

i would not even notice the price reduction as I would be too busy eating them.

beccajoh Mon 12-May-14 20:49:56

"Oh goody CAKE!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now