Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone remember Pogs?

(21 Posts)
snufkinsfloozy Mon 12-May-14 20:05:39

They were all the rage when I was at Junior school. I remember having millions of the T-Rex one, and trying to trade several of them for the limited edition in the playground one day, but my teacher (who had issued a blanket ban) confiscated them all.

It later transpired that he used to give the confiscated Pogs to his son angry

For some reason this memory returned to me as I was cooking dinner, and I did a proper snorty rage face at the frying pan.

Were there a hundred in total or something like that? For some reason I only remember T-Rex. At the time it felt like the whole school was collecting them...

EatShitDerek Mon 12-May-14 20:06:23

I sort of remember them

YaMasYaDaWithAWigOn Mon 12-May-14 20:09:17

Yes!! I remember getting them free in crisp packets grin

Think I had a machine thingy to make my own too.

I used to love Pogs! grin

There were the Keenies and Shiny ones which were the elite and then the regulars.

I miss such simple things sometimes.

redexpat Mon 12-May-14 20:12:44

Didn't they come with Quavers?

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Mon 12-May-14 20:14:18

Yes! I had the machine to make my own too! Smash Hits magazine was a treasure trove of inspiration - who wouldn't want a Pog with Adam Rickett on it?!

Tazos were not as cool at our school, but I had loads of them to because I was a fatty who ate loads of crisps.

BikeRunSki Mon 12-May-14 20:14:41

Were they the same as Shrinky Dinkies?

YaMasYaDaWithAWigOn Mon 12-May-14 20:14:46

I think it may have been Wotsits (most probably both).

YaMasYaDaWithAWigOn Mon 12-May-14 20:15:24

Were Tazos the ones that could link together?

derektheladyhamster Mon 12-May-14 20:17:12

I had hundreds (and I was in my 20's blush. I think they were in walkers crisps and a stall in Redhill sold them

snufkinsfloozy Mon 12-May-14 20:17:53

I forgot you could make your own! And the shiny ones, I had some of those. No idea why T-Rex made such an impression...

Yes they got banned in our school! I remember we called the plastic one you threw down a 'keenie'.

CouldntGiveAMonkeysToss Mon 12-May-14 20:19:37

Yes! They were in wotsits! I think it was around the same time as Tazos (think thats what they were called).

MrsAlexVause Mon 12-May-14 20:20:16

Yes! I loved them!

BigBoPeep Mon 12-May-14 20:20:30

yes! wotsits!

MetalLaLa Mon 12-May-14 20:22:15

I remember Pogs and Tazos, but Tazos were more popular at my Infant School. I had the special red and transparent plastic Tazo in a crisp packet at lunchtime once and remember all my friends being jealous of me grin

ClashCityRocker Mon 12-May-14 20:22:16

They got banned at our school too, after it came to light that the children in SEN were getting somewhat exploited with rather unfair swapsies sad

We used to buy the packs, I think you got six pogs and a slammer, occasionally you got a metal slammer.

SourSweets Mon 12-May-14 20:47:21

Ah man, pogs. I liked the shiny ones.

snufkinsfloozy Mon 12-May-14 20:55:04

Well, who knew. A history of Pogs:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs

theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 22:06:53

Oh you've jogged my memory with this one. I could get dd to agree to just about anything if I offered a pack of the sodding things as an incentive smile

RustyBear Mon 12-May-14 22:09:58

I think I still have DS's pog-maker in the loft....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now