Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Lakeland's summer brochure - heights of pretentious hipsterness?

(237 Posts)
theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 19:26:03

Page 19:

NEW 2 JAR LIDS WITH STRAWS

"It's very trendy to serve drinks in jars right now, and these lids have been designed especially for that purpose, with holes already in place for you to slot in the straws and slurp." Fit our jam jars Refs 3818 & 3819. Set of 2 lids with reusable straws. (Jars not incl.)"

Am I just getting old and grumpy, but since when did drinking out of jam jars become 'a thing?' The only advantage I can think of is that insects can't land if there's a lid on, but why a jam jar.

While you are slurping your jam jar of mojito, you can enjoy the ambience of your giant paper lettuce display.

I honestly don't know how I showed my face in polite society before I these products existed.

TheSpottedZebra Mon 12-May-14 19:41:31

Drinking out of jars is so a thing.
I will assume that you're not a big fan of Pinterest, as that is 23% jam jars with straws.

Another 11% is jam jars: other (candles, layered salads, and even - actual jam!)

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 19:43:54

I love Lakeland! It's like betterware - 1001 things you never knew you needed!

Jars are useful.

Cocktails in jam jars was definitely a hipster thing, right up until twenty seconds before it hit the Lakeland catalogue. Cocktails out of mismatched floral bone china teacups and saucers is still a thing, unless Lakeland are selling special mismatched sets of six, in which case it's not.

How about cocktails out of a 2.5 gallon galvanised bucket?

That would go down a storm around these parts.

happyscouse Mon 12-May-14 19:49:51

i was going to say Pinterest to Zebra, if in doubt stick it in an effing "mason jar" should be their slogan!

theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 19:51:26

I DO like pinterest but somehow seem to have bypassed the 33% of it that is jam jar related TheSpottedZebra smile They should have done and start a site called Jamterest and free up all the space taken up by jar related ideas on Pinterest.

Talc they are gorgeous those pompoms. And although these aren't from Lakeland, I do think they are also a must have:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Retro-Pom-Pom-Light-Shade-Fairy-Lights-String-/290844849273

mawbroon Mon 12-May-14 19:54:04

I used to love Lakeland. Everything in it used to be so useful.

Now there is so much keech there I can hardly find the useful things confused

DuckSongRocks Mon 12-May-14 19:54:07

My dad says drinking out of jars was for really poor people back in the day and that everything 'in' goes in cycles. Guess he's right smile

DrainPhobic Mon 12-May-14 19:59:10

I remember Lakeland when it was called Lakeland Plastics and sold mainly those kitchen bag clip things <wistful>

Do the pom-poms survive more than one soiree in the garden?

Or does one take them out at the next bash, only to find something resembling a squashed lettuce leaf at the end of a day's trading at New Covent Garden Market?

CMOTDibbler Mon 12-May-14 20:23:35

I remember Lakeland plastics when it was a photocopied sheet of paper selling freezer bags.

The jar thing is huge on Pintrest though. I saw a thing for doing cakes in mason jars. £3 a cupcake...

bum - they're out of stock at the moment sad

rats

dexter73 Mon 12-May-14 20:34:23

This outdoor oven made my mind boggle - who would spend £800 to cook a few pizzas??!!

Mandy2003 Mon 12-May-14 20:36:50

Speaking as someone who can only get through one jar of jam per year, its going to take me a while to be hipster!

Oooh dexter - that looks like a character from Thomas the Tank Engine.

Otto the Outdoor Wood Fired Oven. He had a tumultuous affair with Daisy the Diesel Engine.

shock

wtffgs Mon 12-May-14 20:42:51

Wow! You spend 800 quid and they don't even throw on the stand?! shock

theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 20:43:32

It's hard to imagine those pompons surviving a sudden downpour. Then you'd definitely be looking at the stray cabbage leaf effect.

Cocktails in a bucket. Yum. If it's not a thing then you need to make it one Talc. Mind you, then half of Pinterest will be jar and galvanised bucket based.

Funghoul Mon 12-May-14 21:02:27

I have some of those Pom poms for dds birthday party this week. blush

In my defence my grandad bought them not me.

theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 22:01:04

wtffgs On the downside they don't throw in the stand but on the upside you'd get the free delivery for orders over £30 though.

Unless you live on the Channel Islands or Isle of Man in which case they won't send you one at all.

Otto the outdoor wood fired oven smile love it.

dexter73 Mon 12-May-14 22:05:44

I might have to sell a kidney and buy the oven just so that I can call it Otto!

theresnowheretohidewithachip Mon 12-May-14 22:10:04

Dexter I don't think you'd regret the decision. Well not on the 3 days of the year when it's dry/warm enough to press Otto into service anyhow.

SonorousBip Mon 12-May-14 22:24:30

I actually made a little breakfast concoction in a mason jar last night from Pinterest <adjusts hipster beard>

And... Last year I happened on a v cool canal side bar cafe while out for a walk with the dcs and we stopped and had a drink and it was all just lovely as you always want there to be a cool bar on a walk AND it to be the right time for a drink smile mine came in a jam jar, which made me even cooler, but the dc kept saying "Mum, mum, why are you drinking out of a jam jar, mum have they run out of glasses" and I did have a frisson of The Emperor's New Clothers...

winklewoman Mon 12-May-14 22:27:32

I made lots of those pompoms to decorate the conservatory at Christmas. It is very easy and there are plenty of instructions on youtube. Mine are about to be brought up from the cellar to star again at my birthday party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now