Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

There are so many things that are apparently "normal" to most people

(110 Posts)
MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 15:00:55

but that seem like a huge amount of money to me.

I'm pretty comfortable and there's not much I really want that I don't have but I'm also "careful"

For example women I know in pretty ordinary jobs, with ordinary husbands regularly have professional manicures and other treatments, have haircuts and colours costing upwards of £50. Families eat regularly at Harvester type restaurants. How do people on the average wage do that?

I'm fortunate in that if I need dental treatment I can pay for it but DH just had to have a fairly minor thing done that cost almost £200. Likewise if you need new glasses or if something falls off the car. Do "most" people have money put by for these things or does the ordinary "working man" have to make hard choices that week?

jasminemai Mon 12-May-14 15:04:19

We are always eating in harvester and places like that its dirt cheap for us we can do it for just over 20 quid.

BicarbBetty Mon 12-May-14 15:04:58

I wonder this too. I think people get themselves into debt or go without other things like maybe never bothering to go to the dentist.

squoosh Mon 12-May-14 15:05:20

Glasses Direct have solved the expensive specs dilemma.

earlstummy Mon 12-May-14 15:05:49

even 20 would be too much for us these days. major belt tightening....

MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 15:05:53

That's my point though jasmine - if you're on the average wage (£500 pw before tax) then £20 is a lot of money, isn't it?

squoosh Mon 12-May-14 15:06:39

Some people like to have a savings cushion, some people prefer the thrill of spending.

TrinityRhino Mon 12-May-14 15:07:13

I don't understand it either

20 is a huge amount for a family meal

no chance here

jasminemai Mon 12-May-14 15:08:13

Suppose it depends on where you live but here even everyone on benefits is always in the harvester

SourSweets Mon 12-May-14 15:08:17

I wonder this too. I think people have different priorities. And a lot of people are in secret debt.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 12-May-14 15:09:00

I went to the dentist the other day and was shitting myself that one particular tooth that's a bit dodgy would need to come out because I really can't run to that at the moment.Luckily it was fine.

I've been putting off buying AAA batteries for weeks now as they're so expensive, and I have been known to mend my pants.

I don't get how people can just spend so much at any given time, without sometimes having to go without or put things off.

Harvesters very cheap.

I bought a sandwich, a drink and a pork pie in M and S the other day - cost a fiver - could have had a main dish with unlimited bread and salad in Harvester for that

I get all my batteries in the pound shop.

Usually get ten in a packet for a pound

MarathonFan Mon 12-May-14 15:11:51

Well quite Laurie. I'd consider the M&S sarnie a luxury too. I could buy it if I wanted it enough but it's such poor value for money.

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 12-May-14 15:13:04

We have a car/washing machine/fridge crisis on average once a year.

We use a lot of gaffa tape....

ThatBloodyWoman Mon 12-May-14 15:14:00

The only trouble with the cheap batteries I find, is that they leak into expensive objects sad

Doinmummy Mon 12-May-14 15:15:05

Is £500 per week average?! I take home £250 per week, things are tight but we still have luxuries

jasminemai Mon 12-May-14 15:15:27

We get the kids to share a main meal then fill up. on salad bar and I wont eat for rest of day as so filling. A few weeks back then put out plastic pots and I even had a free load of salad and pasta for tea. Its a bargain imo

jasminemai Mon 12-May-14 15:16:09

poundland batteries never leak we use them all the time

greensnail Mon 12-May-14 15:19:52

I love to eat out so that is the sort of thing that we choose to spend our money on, we'll probably eat out on average once a week. We don't smoke, drink much, have sky tv, only run one small car and our income is a little above average so we can afford it and it is something the whole family enjoy doing together.

jasminemai Mon 12-May-14 15:22:38

What do you find most of your money goes on marathonfan do you spend a lot in one area?

CailinDana Mon 12-May-14 15:27:16

It's different priorities I think. What's a luxury to one person is a normal requirement to someone else.

I'm not sure what the average wage is but we're on about 35k pre-tax and eat out fairly regularly as a family. We are far from in debt, we actually have plenty of savings - a £200 dentist bill wouldn't be a worry at all. But, we are going on our first holiday in three years this year, I get my hair cut once a year (DH does his own with the headshaver) and I spend very very little on clothes and shoes. Our car is very old. For me, being able to have a day out with my family and spend whatever we like on food/icecream/drinks is much more important and fun than having other "luxuries."

Boobsofsteel Mon 12-May-14 15:30:41

We eat out once a week but we don't smoke or drink at all so that's where the spare money comes from.

OnlyLovers Mon 12-May-14 15:36:47

I don't get how people can:

- have designer handbags, clothes and shoes
- afford £50+ haircuts
- take as many holidays as they do

DP and I hardly ever go away and when we do, we've saved up for it for ages (years not months) or stay with friends. We don't smoke and hardly drink. My hair costs about £25 a time. DP does his own. Even so-called 'high street' shops like Ted Baker and, increasingly, Zara etc are too expensive for me.

Although, I think we eat out and go to the cinema/exhibitions etc quite a bit.

IsChippyMintonExDirectory Mon 12-May-14 15:40:55

We love to eat out and try to once a week, but sometimes it'll be once a fortnight. In order to do this though we do scrimp on food during the week - Aldi shops and the like. Buying less fresh meat helps I find, last time I bought fresh chicken breasts I paid �5.50 for 4. So now I just buy frozen, much cheaper and means we can put the extra money into a meal out (again nothing fancy always go to a Harvester or something).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now